Triumph 675 Forums banner

Should I powdercoat the wheels?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bran12 
#1 ·
I was looking at my bike today and the wheels just seemed really plain to me. I have already added reflective red wheel tape to them but they still seem so bland. I was thinking about powdercoating them gold like the older model Daytona's. What are you thoughts? Any suggestions on other colors? Should I pass? I could use the objective points of view.

She is a 13 675 in Diablo Red.

I really appreciate the feedback.

#3 ·
Idk what kind of pc you got. Pc is stronger than paint in every way.

If you think paint will show less chips, you're in for a surprise.

I've read and heard the argument of not PCing wheels because they will hide cracks and can weaken wheels if done at wrong temps.

#4 ·
Powder coat is strong so long as you bake it properly. If it's not fully cured it will chip and crack.

As for the weakening wheel argument, I call BS. Having coated 100's of wheels and never having an issue with anyone coming back to me with wheel issues. And we are talking Chicago pot holes. If the coater knows what he's doing there is no issue to the wheels. If you're doing call wheels there are issues with the powder in where the lug nuts make contact but that's a whole other issue.

#8 ·
Were you able to put it on while on bike? I'm interested in this and might consider getting a solid color.

#10 ·
No, I had the wheels off since I just flipped my Pirelli's to run backwards for the rest of their life.. I don't see why to couldn't do it with the wheels on, though a stand would help. Just make sure they are clean because little specs of dirt will make bumps in the graphics.

#11 ·
I plastidipped the wheels on my CBR600RR. Since it's only temporary I decided to do something wild. You can combine base plastidip colors (black, white, grey), and "enhancers" (pearl, flake, etc) to make tons of cool combinations, including bronze or gold effects. The white body panels in this pic are actually white plastidip with pearl.

If nothing else, you can see if you like it. Or do something nuts like I did for a season.

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks. It's actually fairly durable. Most people spray it wrong... once you have a good light base coat down, spray the rest THICK, like you're spraying clear coat on a car. You want to be just short of dripping. That way it dries smooth with little or no texture. Then I spray their gloss/UV protectant (which is clear), also very thick.

I have it on the fairings too, and scrubbing off bugs is no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.