Triumph 675 Forums banner

Brake Rotor thickness question...

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
Hey guys...need some help with a brake rotor question. I've got an 07 D675 w/approx 5000 mi, with stock rotors. Bike is track use only, and towards the end of last season, I was noticing some brake fade in later part of the day. Bike has a Brembo RCS19 mc and newer EBC pads, as well as fresh fluid and a thorough bleed.

My question is this: In looking at the Triumph manual, it states front rotor thickness is 5.0mm with a service limit of 4.5mm, while the disks themselves are stamped 3.5mm min thickness. Current measurement via digital calipers is 4.0mm. What is my replacement point? Is it the service limit or the min thickness?

Thanks in advance for the help! :thumbup:

#3 ·
the stock rotors are mighty thin... I measure some new rotors once and new thickness was 4mm. and as you see on the rotor minimum thickness is 3.5mm |(needs to be replaced), big reason why they warp.

if you ran aftermarket rotors they typically spec in at 5.5mm thick new and 4.2 minimum thickness end of life.

Reactions: Dave K
#4 ·
the stock rotors are mighty thin... I measure some new rotors once and new thickness was 4mm. and as you see on the rotor minimum thickness is 3.5mm |(needs to be replaced), big reason why they warp.
Which rotors did you measure? I checked my used '11 675's Nissin rotors today and found 4mm. The bike has 10K on the clock so I imagine they started thicker... or I got lucky and somebody just replaced them.

#9 ·
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is a relevant question - can anyone tell me how much radial and axial play is allowed on the bobbins between rotor and disc? There is nothing in the manual, and I have unsuccessfully searched this forum for an answer.

Thanks in advance

#10 ·
I'm unaware of any published service spec for runout. Technically the rotors are what are referred to as semi-floating. Which means they can move but only under a lot of pressure as they are held in place by spring washers. So if they are loose enough to rattle then the bushings are probably worn out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.