Triumph 675 Forums banner

Raising Rev Limiter

9K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  samwise_i 
#1 ·
Tried searching about this but didn't have much luck on this specific issue. When I hooked up my bike to tune ECU I noticed with the TOR map (I just have an arrow slip on) the Rev limiter was around 13,350. I am on a 2011 D675. The gauge cluster indicates redline at 15,000.

Why would the ECU rev limiter be so low?

Any harm in bumping up the limiter on tune ECU as long as its below 15k? Tune ECU only lets it go to 14700 I think.

I am not interested in upping my top speed or anything, but I also don't want to be abruptly bumping into the rev limiter prematurely at 13000.

Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
I would not raise it past 13,700 if you want to keep that motor together.
You will end up with a pile of scrap metal if you try and spin this motor over that, for any amount of time.

Also look at some of the dyno graphs for these motors, barring degreed cams and other mods there is no additional power to be gained in the area. That's the downside of the 1st & 2nd gen 675, and the 3rd gens are better for sure, but still not I4 600's 15,700-16,200 rpm all day long reliable.

pretty sure my 675R gauge shows 14,500 as redline, also for record most tachs are off from the actual RPM at higher levels of RPM

#3 ·
Thanks! I think Ill set it to 13750 like you suggested. Not sure why the TOR map was giving me 13,350 for a 2009-12 engine (I double checked the VIN with the map).

The issue is not making more power, but rather being able to stay at max hp/trq for almost 1k RPM more for the first 3 gears. On most hp/trq curves the daytona maxes at 12.5k but will stay at about the max hp until redline close to 14k. I am not interested in increasing my top speed by 165mph vs 158mph by extending the rpm range of the 6th gear, but milking 1st through 3rd especially at max rpm when the gearing will be more efficient to take advantage of the peak hp.

Does my logic make sense or do I have it mixed up?

I did some deeper digging and found some of these older threads on the topic in case anyone else is interested.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43092&highlight=Redline

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32312&highlight=shift+redline

Dave

#4 ·
He actually suggested you to stay under 13700...

#7 ·
This guy's posting just keeps making me laugh more and more.

You guys are nicer than I am. haha
Haha I guess I deserve that. Still learning.

But I don't feel like it was as dumb of a question as you make it out to be after reading some other threads. Especially the ones I mentioned above

#12 ·
How am I trolling? Do you even know the true definition of trolling, because I can start doing so.

Also this question raising the rev limit on any engine, is dumb unless taking more into account than raising the limit the ECU stops allowing the engine to gain more revs.

Raising the rev is never a good idea on a stock engine. There is a reason Triumph put the limit where it did, and it is not because they are dumb or just guessing.

#13 ·
How am I trolling?
Troll (Internet)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

Yes, I know the definition, but the question is do you? I have been on this forum from the beginning and have seen many people like you come and go. Most of your post don't add any value to this forum IMHO. You do occasionally answer peoples questions which is cool, but I mostly see you putting people down:-(

#19 ·
Raising the rev is never a good idea on a stock engine. There is a reason Triumph put the limit where it did, and it is not because they are dumb or just guessing.
So here's the thing. If you go back and read my question I wasn't suggesting to raise it above the tolerance of the bike. Maybe I wasn't clear and that's my fault, but I was really surprised because I thought the map limiter was set much lower than where I thought the rev limiter was supposed to be. As I said in my posts, I didn't want to prematurely be bouncing on the rev limiter and wasting precious RPM at the top of the curve because it was set unnecessarily low.

Difference in being a troll and a person who can't stand dumb stuff.

Did you read his chain thread?
This is the thread he is referencing:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=183657&page=2

Obviously I only know what I have experienced/read about so far. I am learning as I go. My previous bikes did not have a blatantly different colored master link. So I had no idea that that's what the gold link was. When I googled around I saw that sometimes when a chain snaps at a single link, a cheap way to fix it is to just replace it with an off color link. I still wasn't sure so instead of assuming the worst I thought I would turn to you guys who have more experience.

So I guess that makes me "stupid" and "dumb"?

I didn't take it personally and still thanked people for their advice.

If it makes you feel better.
That sounds like something my nephews in high school would say. You probably mean well and I've learned a lot from your posts in the past so I do respect you, but an approach like that to "dumb" questions can definitely kill other people's interests in asking questions. That probably isn't a good thing for this forum.

In any case despite being repeatedly clubbed over the head in my only two threads ever, I still think this is a great forum :grin:

#15 ·
Unless you are going to do the proper mods, I wouldn't touch it. Get a custom tune instead. That would give you more power/torque all over. Drop some weight from you/the bike. That will make it pull harder. Add a tooth or two to the sprocket in the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.