Triumph 675 Forums banner

1st Track Day - Hooked!

3K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  astat4 
#1 ·
Kinda new here as I just picked up my first sportbike back in July. Coming from Supermoto, I was afraid I'd never have as much fun, but damn was I wrong!

The 675 feels GREAT on track and I'm hooked. Here's a nice pic the photographer snapped of me at Autoclub Speedway. Bike is an '08 with an Arrow slip-on and Dunlop Q2's. I was surprised how stable the Q2's felt at that lean angle. Can't wait for the next one :D

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Read. He came from Supermoto. They typically get more lean angle than sportbikes do, just at a lower speed.

Looking good, though I would suggest hanging off more. You're leaving little to no room for error there. Plus, I could never get that kind of lean when I had Q2's. They always wanted to slip on me.

#10 ·
Yeah, I was going to say, you're getting a lot of lean angle that could really be dialed out if you push your head and shoulders out to where your clip on is. If you aren't looking over your hand you're not far enough over.

Keep that rubber where it's fat!

#11 ·
Thanks guys for the tips! It still feels scary to hang off more, but I'll definitely work on that next time out (in 2 weeks lol). My left turns were much better than my right, especially with body positioning. Any tips to make right turns more comfy?

I didn't drag my knee much, as I felt like I couldn't really feel the rear tire as much when I kept my knee down... Is that normal?

I'd consider a track tire, but anything that lasts more than 2 track days?

Oh, and 675's rock! :bowdown:

#13 ·
Thanks guys for the tips! It still feels scary to hang off more, but I'll definitely work on that next time out (in 2 weeks lol). My left turns were much better than my right, especially with body positioning. Any tips to make right turns more comfy?

I didn't drag my knee much, as I felt like I couldn't really feel the rear tire as much when I kept my knee down... Is that normal?

I'd consider a track tire, but anything that lasts more than 2 track days?

Oh, and 675's rock! :bowdown:
Say you're going into a left hand turn. Your right tit should be over the triumph logo on the left side of the tank. Aim to put your head where your mirrors go, or further out. Edge of your seat should be up your asscrack.

And my Diablo Rosso Corsa's have 2 days on them right now, with a ton of tread left. I'd imagine you could get 4 days out of them. I'm putting a third on them this Saturday. I'll try to remember to post back up after.

#12 ·
Dragging knee does not mean much (yes its cool as fuck), if you watch motogp when they do slow mo most those guys typically touch the ground and then bring their knee off the ground. Unless you are Stoner and just have the bike so far over that your whole body is dragging, and then that just makes you a badass.

For body positioning, have someone film you or go to a riding school, you will be able to see your mistakes and typically that helps people more than someone just telling you what to do.

#15 ·
Dem supermoto pussies usually drag nothing but their feet...

See ? :thumbup:

#18 ·
Nice pic. Which club did you run ACS with? Fast track seems to be the only one of the ACS runners that offers a rider clinic. I'd take up on it if you want to learn more about track body positioning. It helped me a lot. I'm on the same boat in that I'm more comfortable with the left turns than I am with rights, which makes ACS tricky for me since the more challenging corners on this course are both right-handers: the hairpin coming into the bridge and 90 right after the bridge.

#21 ·
Yes, I ran ACS with Fastrack and they were really cool. I didn't sign up for the class though :/ They had to bump us into Level 2 after the 2nd session and that helped a lot with the traffic and being able to ride into a rhythm and really learn though, so that was cool.

#19 ·
I used to feel that way, but one visit to Chuckwalla (clockwise) and the right turn feeling goes away. I think it's just the track. Turning right at Autoclub feels weird to me too. I'm rockin Q2's there and am up to rear pack (like last in the group! lol) of the advanced group and they still feel good to me. They wear faster than my wallet can handle though. I'm switching to Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro's (without warmers) since I hear they wear like iron.

#20 ·
+1 on the pirelli diablos - when they heat up you can really feel them stick.
I remember when I first dragged a knee - it surprised me so much I immediately lifted my knee back up - makes me laugh - i did that a few times before I got comfortable getting a knee down - eventually felt natural but took a while.
That's an amazing pic for your first track day. No wonder you're hooked.

#22 ·
cool, and yeah lookig good man. Q2s are good tires but once they start constantly pushing or spinning up I would suggest upgrading. You'll learn alot doing that shit but risk goes up substantially.

Also i would suggest getting a clear windscreen for track days.

#23 ·
I don't know if they do it all the time, but I want to get a 1-on-1 with the racer guy there (as if they're not expensive enough already!) He's with the tire vendor. I wanna be like Ricky Bobby: "Im goin faasst!!"

Sent from my DROID2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.