Triumph 675 Forums banner

Went for vacay, back with woes

813 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Glocken 
#1 ·
So took the bike for a little vacation and did about 1k miles.
Bike was perfectly normal prior to leaving.

So now I'm back and coolant & oil is leaking on top of what I believe to be a new valve tick.

Oil is leaking/sweating out under the bottom of the filter; using a bosch 3300 filter and this has never happened. I'm probably just going to do an oil & filter change and it should fix this.

My question is if anyone else uses this filter and if they made and changes that might make for a poor seal?

The coolant leak is confusing me since the hose is perfectly intact and clamp still works. I've adjusted the clamp numerous times and not matter what it still comes out.

Should I replace the hose or is there some trick that will let me get away without changing the coolant? pictures below

Last question is how would you know if your valves are out of spec based on sound if even possible. It seems to be coming from the left side. I have a manual cct and thought about adjusting it as I was doing 80-100 for hours on end during the trip with higher spends every now and then; but I don't think this is causing it as I've heard the cam chain tick before.

I can't hear the tick once I'm going but when I'm not on throttle I can hear it. It's actually pretty distinct and loud with my helmet on.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've not had experience with the filter you mentioned.

As for the hose. I'd pull it off completely to inspect thoroughly then check the housing it mounts to for hairline cracks. Sometimes its not the hose that's the problem.

As for the valves. If there is any doubt and you can easily here abnormal noises while riding with your helmet on it is best to have you clearances checked and re-done if required then next would be to adjust your cam chain. Don't take a gamble on stuff like this, out of whack valves and a sloppy cam chain can make a good day turn bad real quick.

Also whats with all the rust, corrosion and filth around your engine in the photos. Lack of Maintenance or do you store your bike outside?

#3 ·
Valves on the left side are the ones that loosen up due to came carrier wear. It's all normal. Just expect to adjust them at some point over the life of the motor. Usually not very often though.

Radiator hoses leak sometimes. The ends of the hoses kind of rot or you get some sort of build up under them. You need to pull it off and probably clean the fitting and inspect the hose. It may be time for a new hose but it's worth cleaning up first.

I don't know about that filter. I run Bosh on other bikes and equipment with zero problems. Could just be a hair or something got across the seal or the seal was cut from the factory or something. I've been thinking of switching to Bosch on my bike because of all the K&N failures.

#4 ·
Thanks guys.

Yes bike is outside for past three years through every season and ridden through everything.

If anyone has that hose for sale shoot me a pm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.