Triumph 675 Forums banner

WOODCRAFT TECHNOLOGIES- New Product Development - Street Triple - NEED YOUR HELP!

10K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  skoot3r 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am doing some research on behalf of Woodcraft Technologies to aid them in developing a possible new product for us 2013+ Street Triple Owners. As many of you know Woodcraft makes some great clip ons for many different applications. They also created a unique product which is an adapter plate that essentially allows you to bolt on clip on bars using your OEM handlebar mounting location on the triple tree. The beauty of this is that it does not take up space on your forks, cleans up the look of the upper triple tree, and allows space for your gauge cluster. Also, they hope to be able to develop this product to be compatible with the OEM fly screen. The adapter will also be able to be run right side up or flipped over to lower the bar height for a more aggressive riding position. Risers will be available to get your setup how you want it. Below is an example of one of the adapter plates they offer. It is for another application but would be similar in concept.

Now what I need to do is gauge interest from fellow Street Triple owners in this product. Is this something that you guys would like to see offered? Please leave your feedback so I can forward it to the Woodcraft team.

Also if anyone knows the bolt pattern and spread of the mounting locations from older model Street Triples that would be much appreciated. If this product can be compatible with Street Triple models dating back to 2007 it is something that Woodcraft would totally consider making and can be started as early as this October.

So guys please comment if you would like to see this product offered and hopefully we can get it done!

thanks in advance,
Frank

See less See more
#3 ·
I would say they need to update the top triple to fall in line with something more 2015 for looks..

Another big thing to me, would be the anodizing, as woodcraft is known to fade/change to a brownish color pretty quickly.

Look at the offereings from attack, ducabike, CNC etc etc

#6 ·
I am pretty sure they are made of billet aluminum and anodized but I will get a definite answer for you as soon as possible and report back.

If anyone knows anything regarding earlier model street triples please share.

#11 ·
The spacing of the bolt holes for the mounts on Street Triples from 2007-2012 is 92mm, centre to centre.

I'm not interested, as I have clip-ons and am very happy with them.
Thanks for that measurement my friend. Which clip ons are you currently running if you don't mind me asking and what other modifications needed to be made in order for them to work?

#12 ·
Ah, my setup is not really relevant, as I have fitted 2009 ZX-6R forks, triple clamps, bars, brakes, and wheel. The only Triumph bits remaining are the switch blocks.

I had to move the instruments forward about 30mm to get enough clearance so that the brake lever didn't hit the back of the headlight when turning the bars to the left. Before moving the instruments and headlights forward, I was only able to turn the bars about 3 degrees to the left before hitting the headlight. After I moved them forward, clearance for the bars was fine. I now also have the instruments and headlights mounted about 30 or 40mm lower than standard, which gives more room again, and puts the flyscreen lower so that it doesn't stick up, way above everything else. The lowering of them was a purely aesthetic thing.

My clearance problems are typical of those who have fitted below-the-yoke clip-ons.

Having said that, my bars are lower than the Woodcrafts would be, so they may only require moving the instruments and headlights forward. Someone who has fitted Apex (or similar) bars, would probably be able to give more relevant info' about what they needed to do to gain clearance, if they had any clearance problems.

#15 ·
I now also have the instruments and headlights mounted about 30 or 40mm lower than standard, which gives more room again, and puts the flyscreen lower so that it doesn't stick up, way above everything else. The lowering of them was a purely aesthetic thing.
How did you go about this, if you don't mind me asking?

#14 ·
Definitely interested in this product. I have a 2012 so if you need anything more, let me know. Make sure the bars are long enough. Don't want to lose too much leverage.
Tell Jeff hello.

#21 ·
Woodcraft is looking for people with '08-'12 street triples to aid in this project. If possible they would like someone to lend their top triple tree clamp with the bars attached for some more R&D. The sooner we can make this happen the sooner they can start production. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can get you in contact with Eric at Woodcraft who is leading this project.

#26 ·
Thanks...

I've been in contact with Eric and have mine pulled off, will be sending them out to him.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks DS... great work. I live in FL so we are getting our bikes out to ride at this time... :laugh2:

All said, I can't wait to see the product and I do believe the 08 - 12's are the same from that stand point... Obviously the 13's were a whole different breed.

#27 ·
I boxed up my top clamp and bars and sent them off to woodcraft yesterday. They should have received them today actually. They are going to start developing the prototypes. I will be back with updates as I receive them.

#28 ·
UPDATE 12/30/15

Woodcraft has finished a preliminary prototype. They were able to manufacture one plate that will work with both gen street triples. The next step is to test back on the bike to check for clearance issues etc.

Will update again once more info is available.

#30 ·
be interested to see this, I made one similar years ago when I was researching all the café racer mods, and I made the clocks move brackets too, this is a version of that, but used the two main m10 mounts instead of the clamp mounts, the earlier ones used a smaller pitch as the bars were 22mm the 2010 came with fat bars and the std wider pitch still used, I also designed a yoke with integral bar clamps as per some of the aprilias

tbh it looks/works best with the instruments on the yokes, but I am still keen to see this item, or your take on it

cheers, Daz:smile2:

#31 ·
We have the Woodcraft rapid prototype here and are working with Eric to see if this is a viable option. So far we can report back that we are running into some of the same issues as installing clip-ons. For one, the front brake line on ABS bikes is a royal pain as it gets in the way and binds up very easily. The other main issue, the gauge and headlights are stationary, creating a giant obstacle for all of the lines to smash into and limit movement. Then there is also the overly long clutch cable.

Installing this adapter with our headlight conversion does allow the gauge, headlight, and wiring to all move as a unit. The front brake line still limits movement and adjustability though.

Unfortunately, the front brake line is not a simple part to swap out as you are dealing with A, a hard line that runs under the tank all the way back to under the seat and B, correctly bleeding the ABS unit. The clutch line on the other hand is a simple easy swap.

We'll see what we can do to address these issues and report back.

#32 ·
Just need one for the 2012 model... No abs or other weird stuff. 😁 👍

#34 ·
Welcome

We are neighbors... I have the 2012 r as well. Just need some warm, dry weather.:grin2:

#36 ·
Just having a little fun...

I know you want one piece for each bike... Just having some fun throwing out crazy ideas... Makes me feel better.:nerd2:

#37 ·
Hello!!

Just checking in for an update... I'm sure this is first thing on your list...:grin2:

Good luck whosever at Daytona and congrats on the Hindle exhaust line. :nerd2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.