Triumph 675 Forums banner

Potential buyer need help!

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  S1ckwrx 
#1 ·
hey how are you all, just joined up, figured id ask a few questions before I purchase a triumph 675r.

2012 675r
1 owner
under 2000 miles
seems to be dropped once on the passenger side ( only damage is the slider)
buddie dropped a 2x4 on the front headlight fairing... no damage to headlight just plastic

the owner is a local pizzeria owner. known him for 3 years so far.

long story short, the original owner has kept it "2-3 months" outside NO COVER, the chain has a good good amount of rust, and the bike is dirty ( grass and dirt in nooks and crannies but that's no problem) a good detail and wallah.

my concern is the chain and sprocket need to be changed? or can I get away with a DEEP cleaning on the chain? or a just a chain replacement?

is there any other areas I should look into to see if its a good condition bike? or if theres any recalls? or basic anything to really look for on these bikes... should I just drain and refill all the fluids including gas? ( oil, coolant, brake, gas) and start fresh?

thank you!!

- John

See less See more
#2 ·
That chain looks nasty, but try cleaning it as best you can first before replacing it. Surface rust can happen real fast but can be easily removed. Use kerosene and a toothbrush and go at it - see how it turns out.

If I were in your shoes, I'd offer to clean the entire bike up before making the plunge. That'd give you a better opportunity to look it over closer. Write down anything that you come across and price out to have a good idea what it's really going to cost you.

#3 · (Edited)
Smart idea. I only spent many years detailing and running a shop. I overlook it due to the fact I'm plan on ripping into it and deep clean and ceramic coat the bike.

Worst case scenario I need a chain.... what would I be roughly looking at? ive looked up online and netted MANY odd ball aftermarket parts. id honestly go with a factory chain or a +1 up upgrade chain if it makes any difference....

would there be any other areas or problematic spots on these bikes that did require attention? IE Ignition? relay defects? etc..

::::::EDIT::::: I can probly score it for $7,000 do you think that's fair? I was thinking $6-6,500?

Thank You!!!

- John

#10 ·
passenger side but it seems light.. it kind of shows on one of the pictures of the sliders.

yeah il just bike the bullet, change all fluids, new chain and see whats up with the sprocket. ill check it off as peace of mind plus gives me a winter project. the chain is that easy to do DIY? I'm not far from Ron in Washington cycle works. I just might buy the bike and drop it there and have him do a once through and check it all over and replace whatever is needed.

side shot of the said slider damage. no other scrapes or any rash on any of the lower panels or parts... kinda odd?

#6 ·
should I just drain and refill all the fluids including gas? ( oil, coolant, brake, gas) and start fresh?
I'd recommend that anyway for most new bike purchases (def brakes and oil if its been sitting like that outdoors)

One thing to look out for are oil leaks.
They're hard to diagnose if you're not familiar with that particular bike. It may be as simple as a loose nut or it may be as complicated as a crack somewhere...

#7 ·
Usually the best indicator of how a bike has been maintained is the chain. That chain has gone to hell and back, so you have to assume pretty much everything else needs to be replaced too: oil, coolant, brake fluid, air filter, suspension fluids, possibly the battery if it's been sitting for a long time without a charger and possibly the gas if it hasn't been run in more than a few months. If it hasn't, don't even try starting the bike until you drain the old gas out.

Get a new chain. The best 520 kits with an aluminum rear sprocket should run you around $200. I think $6500 isn't too far off what I'd offer, considering what it probably needs.

#13 ·
the previous gen with under tail exhaust touch down points almost always seemed to include the tail fairing at the fat part or possibly the passenger pegs. But with the slider, not sure how that would change it. I'd give the bike a good once over in good light. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there has to be atleast 2 hard parts that touch down to prevent the tires from catching and flipping the bike. of course, you did say it was low speed.

#14 ·
had a chance to see it during the daylight hours and give her a good look over. she had no cover and it clearly shows. heres a link to a gallery of pictures I took of before and some after. just a basic decontaminate wash and blow out of the nooks and crannies.

also I noticed the rear seat doesn't sit flush? I know there are tool kits but even with it removed it still doesn't sit nice and tight... wasn't sure if this was a triumph thing haha

also I found a random clip under the main seat. I cant find any pictures online nor does the owner know or remember what it is for, but it has jumpers for it... the rear under seat harness is for the blinkers and what not.

but holy hell that chain is SHOT! I found some more damage here and there on misc parts as-well as took some pictures of the fluids I saw in their reservoirs.

Please chime in with anything YOU see!

https://postimg.org/gallery/1dbn03916/

#16 ·
also I found a random clip under the main seat. I cant find any pictures online nor does the owner know or remember what it is for, but it has jumpers for it... the rear under seat harness is for the blinkers and what not.

https://postimg.org/gallery/1dbn03916/
Are you talking about the connector you're holding? That normally hooks up to a cable that you hook up to an ECU diagnostic tool. Not sure why it has wires hanging from it?? It should just have a few pins.

#18 ·
Have you bought it? What was he asking for it? If I was the seller I I would be frustrated with your indecisiveness... How much are you looking for him to come down? Drop the cash, don't look back and have fun making it yours or stop bugging him and move on. The delta won't be more than a couple hundred bucks but the value of the time you've dwelled on it is more than that already. /Rant. I say get it and try to while the grin off you face. (What is he asking for again?) If for some reason it doesn't work flip it on CL in the spring or $100 less you bought it for and call it a lesson learned. Disclaimer: Im drinking.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#19 ·
kinda odd dont you think for an alarm with two wires to be jumpers???

i havent bothered him at all i was local and we agreed on having it detailed so i did my job, didnt charge obvi so i can really take a good look unlike at night when i saw it. he isnt sure yet, he thinks he is on a gold mine... last thing i want to do is buy a $7000 papersweight that has more issues than what i want to bother with. i personally dont need someones hack job electrical toy to play with lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.