Safest Shoei Helmet? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-17, 08:24 Thread Starter
SlowandSteady

Red face Safest Shoei Helmet?

Hi All,

New rider and first post here! I've started collecting my own kit and was looking for some advice...

Which is the safest Shoei helmet? Not too fussed about the amount or colour scheme, I value my head a little over that!

I've just ordered a Street Triple R as my first bike!

Any advice welcome :)

SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-17, 08:34
ramnakhle

Garage
Safest Shoei Helmet?

For safety you want to check out the certification of the helmet.
Legally it's DOT usually for the street. Anything on track should be SNELL certified.
In the shoei lineup you're looking at the higher end sport bike helmets RF series and they new X-14.
Below that you have the GT-air, which is more comfortable (internal sun visor, quiet) but also heavier than the racing helmets.
I have tried the GT-Air while on a naked street bike and it's a fantastic helmet. But it's aerodynamics fell short when I upgraded to supersport speeds.

So if you want the safest shoei I would get a snell certified model. The added protection is always welcome on the street as well.
If you're open to other brands check out the HJC RPHA-10 or 11.
SNELL certified, sporty, and one of the lightest in their price range. They also come with a clear and dark visor in box, saving cash in the process.
Hope this helps.
Cheers and congrats on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ramnakhle For This Useful Post:
tropheus (02-15-17)
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-17, 09:13
adrean8j

RPHA helmets also come with pinlock shields in the box(to basically eliminate fogging).

post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-17, 12:27
IronCactus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowandSteady View Post
Hi All,

New rider and first post here! I've started collecting my own kit and was looking for some advice...

Which is the safest Shoei helmet? Not too fussed about the amount or colour scheme, I value my head a little over that!

I've just ordered a Street Triple R as my first bike!

Any advice welcome :)

SS
The truth is that no certified helmet is any better than another at this point. The "safest" helmet is any of the major manufacturers product that FITS the shape of your head. A properly fitted helmet is more important than the brand. I have a Shoei head and wear them for that reason. I've crash tested the RF1200 with great result (which is lack of injury). But if I had been wearing the wrong/poorly sized Shoei helmet things would have been different. Revzilla has some decent videos on proper helmet fit.

2014 675R

Last edited by IronCactus; 02-15-17 at 17:21.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-15-17, 13:54
ramnakhle

Garage
Shoei full face helmets come with the pinlock antifog visor as well.
Fully agree with ironcactus. Get a certified, full face, properly fitting helmet of any brand and you're good to go. Brand preference is your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 02-15-17, 15:08
Plasmablaster

Garage
The strictest and most thorough test around is SHARP. There are several DOT and SNELL approved helmets that only get two or three stars (including my HJC RHPA-10 which gets 3 stars). Maybe they are just too strict but still, its our heads on the line here.

I spent quite some time examining their findings and I was impressed by some top-shelf Arais only getting 3 stars. Almost all helmets are excellent in the forehead and backhead protection. Most of those that get three stars fail in the upper-side spot (above the ears), which according to statistics however is still a quite usual spot to hit in a spill. Personally I would get any helmet with four or five stars.

You can check SHARP's findings/evaluation on Shoei helmets here:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/testhelmetl...discontinued=1

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched their c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like... tears in rain. Time to die."

Roy Batty, Blade Runner.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-17-17, 04:32 Thread Starter
SlowandSteady
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Lovely! Thank you, guys!

I'm off to make my purchase this weekend, I'll look for fit over brand and double check it with the SHARP site.

:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement