New to this forum from Los Angeles - Triumph675.Net Forums
Introductions New member? Take a few minutes and introduce yourself.

post #1 of 12 Old 02-02-17, 17:04 Thread Starter
scst74

New to this forum from Los Angeles

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but not new to Triumph. A bit about me: I've been riding for just over 3yrs. I have a '13 CBR 250 and a '14 Daytona 675R. I've had the Daytona for the last 2yrs and have put 19k miles on it. Excited to join the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-02-17, 18:05
pick

Garage
Welcome! Jealous of your CA address and the legal lane-splitting you guys have down there!

===
2016 675R (track-only)
OPRT | NWXPDTN
post #3 of 12 Old 02-07-17, 22:08
Mr.Alex

Welcome, I am equally jelly of you legal lane splitting over there. Looks like you're already putting up some serious mileage.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-08-17, 00:35
mark-up

Welcome, neighbor!

All I ask is a Hinckley triple
And a road to steer her by.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-08-17, 05:59
easbaysav

Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good info on here but it seems you've sufficed 2 yrs and 19k miles without issue; either way, I hope the forum can help you out as it did for me.

For those that envy the legal lane split, there are haters and cagers who don't know better (or just don't give a *uck) that you have to watch out for. They don't keep an eye out for riders or they'll get in the way to block the rider from passing by. There are some who'll move out the way, but it's better to play it safe than sorry.

post #6 of 12 Old 02-08-17, 14:57
675GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
Welcome! Jealous of your CA address and the legal lane-splitting you guys have down there!
No need to be jealous, TRUST ME, lane splitting is a pittance compared to other shit you deal with in CA. Even if it weren't legal, most people would just do it, can't exactly get pulled over in gridlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Alex View Post
Welcome, I am equally jelly of you legal lane splitting over there. Looks like you're already putting up some serious mileage.
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by easbaysav View Post
Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good info on here but it seems you've sufficed 2 yrs and 19k miles without issue; either way, I hope the forum can help you out as it did for me.

For those that envy the legal lane split, there are haters and cagers who don't know better (or just don't give a *uck) that you have to watch out for. They don't keep an eye out for riders or they'll get in the way to block the rider from passing by. There are some who'll move out the way, but it's better to play it safe than sorry.
This is true. A lot of people will block or worse try to squeeze you out while you are in between cars. The thing most people don't realize about lane splitting is it only works if cagers respect it and a lot of em don't. "If I have to wait in traffic so should you" or they think you are an ass hole for passing them. I have had people open their doors on the highway, get so close to the car next to them you can't go through just to keep bikes from passing. We have more than our fair share of dumb ass people in CA.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-08-17, 22:01
mark-up

I've been riding in SoCal for only 30 years, so I may not have the experience to comment, but I will anyway. The number of cagers who act to assist me passing vs. the number who act to impede me is at least 20:1. The number who take no action vs. the number who take any action (assist or impede) as I pass is probably 50:1. The number of doors I've had opened in my way is approximately none.

All I ask is a Hinckley triple
And a road to steer her by.

Last edited by mark-up; 02-09-17 at 01:18.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-09-17, 00:29
Day

Garage
nice milage but where have you been lol

2015 Triumph Daytona 675
- Ram Mount
- MotoDynamic fender eliminator
- T-Rex frame sliders
- Battery Tender con.
- Triumph Rear Spools
- ESRM-2
- Two Brothers S1R
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-17, 18:33
Mr.Alex

My main envy on lane splitting was not the cagers, but traffic enforcement. Just because its illegal in other states doesn't mean we don't do it. But the thing that sucks is that cops will literally cut in front of you to stop you, even going as far as yanking your keys away so you don't 'run'. I believe that we all learn so assess traffic flow and certain driving behaviors to help spot unfriendly cagers.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-13-17, 08:51
easbaysav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Alex View Post
My main envy on lane splitting was not the cagers, but traffic enforcement. Just because its illegal in other states doesn't mean we don't do it. But the thing that sucks is that cops will literally cut in front of you to stop you, even going as far as yanking your keys away so you don't 'run'. I believe that we all learn so assess traffic flow and certain driving behaviors to help spot unfriendly cagers.

I understand why folks from other states envy CA lane splitting, but I just wanted to point out that it ain't always peaches and cream. IMO, to split lanes legally outweighs having to watch out for @sshole cagers to even consider that a downside. As riders, we must always be cautious but sometimes there are those unavoidable moments. I have a buddy that was splitting lanes in the Bay Area and was hit by a chick (with AZ plates) who decided it'd be cool to get over without signaling or looking over her shoulder. I wasn't there, but he was commuting and said there wasn't any way for him to avoid it.

As for the bolded print in the quote, the rider is in the wrong for splitting lanes illegally but that doesn't justify the cop putting him or her in danger. And for yanking keys, all it really takes is to ask the rider to dismount (if not already dismounted) after pulling over and ask for the keys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement