2017 Daytona 675 - Page 7 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #61 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 14:39
MGFChapin

Garage
Reading an article today about the CBR600 being killed off (which was already public info), I came across a little section at the bottom that's relevant to us...

Triumph Daytona 675

Triumph were the last manufacturer to release an all-new bike with the latest Daytona 675 but the company admitted that bike only went ahead because so much time and money had already been spent on it before the global financial meltdown of 2009. Had that bike been a bit less developed Triumph official admitted it would have been mothballed and never seen the light of day. MCN understands the next Daytona (still at least a year away) will ditch the 675cc inline three-cylinder motor and go up in capacity to a 765cc motor to make it an even better road bike.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...rr-killed-off/
The Following User Says Thank You to MGFChapin For This Useful Post:
Bamboo671 (06-29-16)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 14:44
Glocken

Are they using a different motor to get that cc out? I thought the 675 was at its capacities already

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #63 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 14:47
MGFChapin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocken View Post
Are they using a different motor to get that cc out? I thought the 675 was at its capacities already
Doubtful they'd spend money on an all-new motor. I'm guessing they're going to stroke this one like the Tiger 800.

post #64 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 15:29
kisertn

Garage
From the article, "...go up in capacity to a 765cc motor to make it an even better road bike..."

How does more ccs make a bike better?
post #65 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 15:46
Phicurious86

Garage
Now that's interesting. Seems may flip the old model where the Daytona engine was the base for the ST3 and the ST3 got the trickle down tech from the Daytona.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/n...-765-at-large/
post #66 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 17:16
MakinBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Reading an article today about the CBR600 being killed off (which was already public info)
This is a bit misleading, though. Sales will halt in Euro4 markets. Surely they will re-enter when they have a replacement that meets regulations.

As an aside, to include motorcycles in emissions regulations is ridiculous. Fortunately future Euro5 & 6 aren't significantly more restrictive for petrol engines (3 to 4 was massive, requiring ~50% cut in CO2, hydrocarbons and NOx).
post #67 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 18:25
luciano136

Interesting comment. I still doubt there will be a 2017 Daytona though. Plenty of rumors about a larger CC STR but I haven't read anything anywhere about the Daytona.
post #68 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 18:57
MakinBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post
Interesting comment. I still doubt there will be a 2017 Daytona though. Plenty of rumors about a larger CC STR but I haven't read anything anywhere about the Daytona.
Manufacturers have had to increase engine sizes to meet Euro4. The Bonneville and Panigale 959 are perfect examples. Likely the reason the ST will be upsized.* If they decide to continue the Daytona, I would suspect it will have the same engine.

The 600 class supersport market is damn near dead and the EU is helping dig the grave.

* - I heard 800cc from my local dealer just last week.
post #69 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 19:17
luciano136

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDijon View Post
I'd appreciate an answer on this, too.
I think what they meant is: it will be easier to *market* the bike. Horsepower sells.
The Following User Says Thank You to luciano136 For This Useful Post:
CarpeDijon (06-29-16)
post #70 of 81 Old 06-29-16, 19:18
luciano136

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinBeer View Post
Manufacturers have had to increase engine sizes to meet Euro4. The Bonneville and Panigale 959 are perfect examples. Likely the reason the ST will be upsized.* If they decide to continue the Daytona, I would suspect it will have the same engine.

The 600 class supersport market is damn near dead and the EU is helping dig the grave.

* - I heard 800cc from my local dealer just last week.
Yea, the restrictions are pretty ridiculous! It's a 400lbs bike for crying out loud!! I guess I'll hold off on buying an Aprilia until I know for sure whether the Daytona will live on :). Mentally, I had already moved on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement