Triumph 675 Forums banner

Thinking about doing my the first service myself

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  MadMel 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Any things to look at other than changing the oil that I should be aware of for the first service on a Daytona? I prefer to do this sort of stuff myself and not take it to the dealers. I have done basic to intermediate mechanic work on vehicles and of course changed the oil and installed frame sliders on a ninja 300. Is there something that would likely be out of my skill level to handle on the first service on the bike?

#2 ·
Your owners manual should have a list of the first service maintenance items, but at a high level it's an oil change and checking the bike over - nothing one can't do with some minimal skills and common sense. Check your manual and see if you agree.

#3 ·
Your owners manual should have a list of the first service maintenance items, but at a high level it's an oil change and checking the bike over - nothing one can't do with some minimal skills and common sense. Check your manual and see if you agree.
^^THIS^^
Plus maybe some fresh coolant of your choice. In years past OEM coolant has been crap, not sure if that's still the case with the 13+. Don't forget to check all the bolts that keep oil inside the bike, they like to wiggle lose.

#5 ·
I'm also a big fan of getting into the brakes with every service. I take the pads out. Check for wear, and clean the caliper until sparkling. There are how to's on this
Depending on what your purpose for the bike is, you may also want to have the suspension serviced. A lot of guys recommend new fork oil and seals Etc every 1-2 years
Further than that, I adjust the throttle quite diligently. Clutch stays pretty solid.
And of course basics like tire wear ( if you have stockers on, mine went at about 4500. There are numerous tire threads on here so check those out for next tire purchase. And as always. Hit up Riders Discount and STG for parts and such )
Good luck to you

#7 ·
Damn man. You go all out! I do those things in the spring before the season, not every time.

For your first service, oil and filter obviously. Read the many threads here on which oil you want to use and pick one.

Check ALL of the bolts/clamps you can reach. They notoriously back their way out or start out loose from the factory. Otherwise, just check or top off your fluids as needed. You should otherwise be good to go.

Always check your tire pressure before rides. Also, clean and lube your chain every 300 miles. Also, on first service, I'd check your slack on your chain. Otherwise, go for it.

#8 ·
Tire pressure is huge! How did I leave that out! And lube that chain every 2-300 miles. Which each of my rides is almost 300+ so I lube it after every ride about.
I clean and re oil my bmc filter every 1k miles too boot
And rain ex my windscreen and helmet face shield very so often too
And go grocery shopping
And.... I digress

Thing is. You can be as obsessive or as minimum as YOU want to be. There are only a 'few' things you 'need' to hit

#10 ·
Does anyone have insight as to the affect on the warranty if you do your own service. I have seen before that Triumph is great with their good faith parts etc. But if I do my own initial service as I would prefer to do are they going to fight me if I need warranty work? I have been a Auto mechanic for many years and have maintained my old bike for three years before moving into a bike with a warranty. However between the cost and knowing the things the dealers miss or flat out fail to do out of laziness I really don't want to pay them.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.