Triumph 675 Forums banner

2015 IL/WI Riding Group and General Mayhem

33K views 243 replies 22 participants last post by  posnikb 
#1 · (Edited)
It's officially the official spot to post up your name for group rides, general chat, and free handies courtesy of our resident one-eyed pirate.

-Decipher, AKA B-Money, AKA B-Dizzle, AKA Brian
-Aeolus, AKA A-Train
-DCIG
-ICANHAZCHEETOS
-Mikewitki
-G2G
-Clutchcrusader
-Knolly
-RamesesThe2nd
-Krazy

#203 ·
Wish I could go the RA. I wanted to, but I couldn't get the time off. I was at Autobahn for Memorial Day. Planning on a day at BlackHawk and a few more Autobahn days in August and September if you are planning on making the trip down that way. It's a bit of a haul for you though, considering Autobahn and Blackhawk are a little over an hour from me. All my planned days are with STT. I may try to swing the July 1-2 weekend at RA, but we'll see

#207 ·
I'm always down to meet up, even if it isn't a whole bunch of us. I have a core group for riding buddies that I ride everywhere with that you guys are more than welcome to join in on. There's a total of 12 of us! 5 of us just rode 240 miles yesterday. We went out to Lake Geneva, then Kettle Moraine, came back from food, picked up 2 more, then took Sheridan Rd down to Winnetka and back. How's that for a Sunday Funday!

Attachments

#215 ·
figure out a rough route and I can join in when you get closer. I pretty much live in the kettle area. the scenic route goes right past my house.

#225 ·
Hi, I am new here and I would like to know if anyone lives in the city of Chicago and does weekend riding regularly?

I would love to get a 675 but I live in the city (right by the White Sox field). And the thoughts of city traffic and the most important thing - no decent road to ride on without having need to ride 30+ miles of city rage traffic to the suburbs, just putting me on a hold every time.

I used to have a Ninja 250 and 300 when I lived in central IL where there's still some back roads to ride. And now I am in the city and do not have any riding buddies. Does anyone here who live in the city and how do you go about enjoying riding?

#226 ·
Hi, I am new here and I would like to know if anyone lives in the city of Chicago and does weekend riding regularly?

I would love to get a 675 but I live in the city (right by the White Sox field). And the thoughts of city traffic and the most important thing - no decent road to ride on without having need to ride 30+ miles of city rage traffic to the suburbs, just putting me on a hold every time.

I used to have a Ninja 250 and 300 when I lived in central IL where there's still some back roads to ride. And now I am in the city and do not have any riding buddies. Does anyone here who live in the city and how do you go about enjoying riding?
Welcome to the forum. I live in the loop and I know of two other members here in west loop and rogers park.

I typically go out riding right after work during week days between 3:45-4pm from west loop (near greek town). I take S Halsted to Cermak towards Ogden heading west towards the burbs. I take this route when I have errands to run in the burbs or visit my family. The second route I take is heading North on LaSalle to Lake Shore Drive to Sheridan. Since it's during a week day, I usually don't ride far up north unless it's on a weekend. The traffic isn't too bad taking either routes if I leave around 4.

I think couple of guys from here met up past Saturday. I'm pretty sure there will be another group ride soon so be on the lookout.

-Ryan

#227 ·
Finally brought my bike into the city from the suburbs a couple weeks ago. Have only been out on it twice, usually in the evening after work 7-9pm. I live in West Loop, riding around here is pretty boring, but it's riding. I head East to Lake Shore, then North until it ends and then back down. Nothing too exciting.

#228 ·
So I was coming home on 355 northbound and all of a sudden my bike shut off on me... I was cruising in the left lane and then all my power was cut. I pulled over and had to get it towed.

When I turn key to on position all my lights and blinkers work, just the whole dash is black and nothing comes on. (yes i checked kill switch)

Attachments

#229 ·
So I was coming home on 355 northbound and all of a sudden my bike shut off on me... I was cruising in the left lane and then all my power was cut.
That sucks to hear, I've been in your shoes. Sounds like the infamous R/R. Search the forum, its a common issue and you can find how to diagnose it.

As for fixing it, quickest way is to get a plug and play R/R. I did it last summer, costs around $100 from Riders Discount. Or if you really need to save $30-40 you can find some info on getting one from other bikes and messing with the wiring.

#232 ·
Also depending on what year your bike is, it may be covered under recall. My bike is on it's 3rd R/R, nevertheless..... :surprise:
Damn! Your stator okay? They shouldn't keep frying.

You guys should move out by me. 10 minute ride and I'm in the sticks where it's nothing but corn and clear roads. I hate traffic.

#235 ·
Hey guys, long time no talk. Bike has been stored since August. Didn't ride it much since I took a new job downtown a year and a half ago, also lost a coworker in November after he went down under a truck/trailer that failed to yield and turned left in front of him on hte way to work. Considered selling the bike all winter but just couldn't do it.

Just ordered a set of Pirelli Supercorsa SPs but the local shop (Motoworks) wants $200 to install them. Seems a little steep, I thought it would be $50 a wheel or something like that. Anyone know of any places close to downtown they would recommend and are priced a little lower? No suburb shops please.

Anyways, I'm going to make it a priority to make it out a bit more this year. Hope to meet some of you.

#239 ·
...Just ordered a set of Pirelli Supercorsa SPs but the local shop (Motoworks) wants $200 to install them. Seems a little steep, I thought it would be $50 a wheel or something like that. Anyone know of any places close to downtown they would recommend and are priced a little lower? No suburb shops please.
Holy moly! Sorry, I only know of suburb shops. I called Windy City Triumph several weeks ago to get my first ever set of tires mounted. They told me $50 a tire if I brought the wheels in, off the bike. Well, I have three sets of rims (two for my Daytona and a third for my Ninja) and I wanted tires mounted on all. That was going to be $300 just for mounting. Frak that! I went and bought a No-Mar tire changer and I've mounted my first set and am going to mount my others this weekend. Will have paid for itself by the time i change tires again this fall. Plus I'll be a popular guy at trackdays :biggrinjester:

But, WCT did say it would be $100 per wheel if they had to remove the wheels from the bike. Is that what your quote was for as well?

#236 ·
I've priced 2 shops in the suburbs and they want $90 to $109 per wheel as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#237 ·
My god. You guys are getting ass raped with tire changes. Get front and rear stands, take your wheels off and bring them in. It's always more expensive if have the shop take your wheels off. Also, never take the wheels to a dealer, find an independent service guy with a tire changer.

#243 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately not many motorcycle service places downtown.

I used to do all my own motorcycle work but now that I bought a place in the West Loop I park in a garage with very little space and horrible lighting, not conducive to doing even basic maintenance work, not even an electrical outlet anywhere near my spot. Unfortunately I also only get about 4 days off per month so no time to waste one of those days heading out to the suburbs to get work done there. I may just have to suck it up and pay the $200, at least I got a great deal on the tires from Riders Discount . . . .

Once it warms up, let me know if anyone rides around the city, especially in the evenings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.