Triumph 675 Forums banner

Anyone use Shell Rotella T6 motor oil?

33K views 90 replies 47 participants last post by  Glocken 
#1 ·
I have some leftover from my previous bike and I want to use it. It is 5w40, full synthetic, and designed for diesels. However, it is widely regarded as good motorcycle oil also.

Anyone know an y reason why this would be a bad idea?

#81 ·
I thought the oil was breaking down real early and was about to change it out for Castrol again because it felt "rattly" is the best way I can describe it. I ended up adjusting my CCT and that fixed it! The APE CCT was too tight.

I used T6 on my 08 Daytona and it's hard to beat the price when compared to Castrol, Mobil or any "motorcycle specific" oil.

#83 ·
^^^yeah this is what almost made me change it out. I don't put as much miles on the bike as I used to anymore so I may go back to Castrol. Or I may check some other brands out. Been wanting for the longest time to try Motul 300V but damn that's pricey.

#84 ·
The grit is on and off for me. Freshly in, it's as smooth as butter. I sometimes feel it but sometimes don't. I kind of don't feel it at all anymore once the shift spindle holder was installed

#87 ·
I know this has been covered, but I have a friend who recently tried T6 on his bike with the same results. The shifting turns to crap after about 1,000 miles. I don't care if oil costs 3x the Rotella. Shifting is a very interactive part of riding so if my shifting turns to crap, so does my riding. I'll spend my money where it matters and this is one of those places where it matters.

#88 ·
Yes it does turn to crap; it was very noticeable pre shift spindle holder. Not so much now with it, but it doesn't go in as fluidly as when the oil is fresh.

#89 ·
I read your experience and it's good to hear. For me, the only thing that seemed to effect my experience was the oil. I changed to Valvoline and all is extremely good now.

#91 ·
Should have just bought amsoil or motul 300

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.