Triumph 675 Forums banner

Coolant boiling in reservoir?

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Decipher 
#1 ·
So my last group ride, my bike was boiling the coolant in the overflow tank when the group stopped. It would dump excess out of the vent pipe. It wasn't even hot out was the weird thing. Any idea what it could be?

#3 ·
One thing that's weird is that it's not running hotter than usual. I'll get a radiator cap on order and go from there I guess.

#5 ·
Thanks, I have one ordered. Hopefully that's it.

#6 ·
how long has it been since you flushed your coolant system and replaced your coolant>?

#7 ·
Uh oh... Busted. Never. I got some engine ice today and ordered a radiator cap. Read some horror stories about similar issues that turned out to be the head gasket....

#8 ·
If you have an air compressor or access to one, a Cylinder Leakage test will tell you if its the HG or not for certain.

I had cooling issues similar to what you're describing, mine ended up being a loose cap, but I have a brand new spare and thermostat just incase of a failure now.

best of luck! let me know if I can help in any way

#10 · (Edited)
I am willing to bet money that it's your radiator cap. I just went through the exact same thing. No overheating but my bike would dump coolant...just like yours. I read through pages of people with similar issues and even feared the head gasket. It's not.

I went with an aftermarket cap instead of the crap Triumph one prone to failing. Let me look it up real quick. Oh, and tighten all your hoses. All my clamps were loose.

EDIT: The cap I used with a Stant 10233. This is a direct replacement rated the same as OEM (1.1 BAR or 19 PSI). I picked it up from Advanced Auto Parts locally. I won't even mess with another OEM cap and my issue magically stopped after replacing the cap.

#13 ·
I am willing to bet money that it's your radiator cap. I just went through the exact same thing. No overheating but my bike would dump coolant...just like yours. I read through pages of people with similar issues and even feared the head gasket. It's not.

I went with an aftermarket cap instead of the crap Triumph one prone to failing. Let me look it up real quick. Oh, and tighten all your hoses. All my clamps were loose.

EDIT: The cap I used with a Stant 10233. This is a direct replacement rated the same as OEM (1.1 BAR or 19 PSI). I picked it up from Advanced Auto Parts locally. I won't even mess with another OEM cap and my issue magically stopped after replacing the cap.
I am about to give this a try. My striple is dumping steaming coolant.

#14 ·
Whoops. Thanks for clarifying that. I had the bar right. I was think of my Subaru boostin 19 psi stock. Haha.

I'd recommend avoiding the OEM cap. They're prone to failing and will likely cause you an issue again sooner than later. The cap I bought is metal instead of plastic so I have a little more confidence in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.