Triumph 675 Forums banner

Buying new bike - a little help?

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  katanafreak 
#1 ·
Good Evening All,

I sold my bike to buy a boat a few months back,... I don't think the boat thing is going to happen. No place to store it in the winter, ALOT more expensive to maintain, ect...

I have had 2 Triumph Daytona 675s, one a 2009 and then a 2012. Loved the bikes! Best track bike I have ever had! worked ok on the street. The ergos were not the best for street riding. I was going to go out next weekend and pick myself up a 2015 675 when I got the urge to just take a look at other bikes and see if one catches my fancy. Well,... of course one did! This is where I need some advice from all you track guys and street guys too!

I am comparing a 2015 Triumph Daytona 675 and a 2015 Ducati Panigale 899.

Can you guys that have rode these bikes give me the pros and cons of the two? I know the triumphs very well actually, but I have zero experience with a Ducati. Let me know any and all experiences you guys have had with these two beautiful machines. I am trying to do all the research on these two bikes, but damn that Duc is sexy!

Let me know what you guys think of the two and what you would use and any issues you guys have had with these brands. Any and all info is helpful, I do love the 675s but that Duc is amazing, just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong bike because of looks.

Thanks All!!!

Attached Images
899.jpg
675.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
I rode the 899 at a demo event, was though city streets so I can't comment much on handling, it was nice. The motor didn't seem as punchy as a 675. For a twin, the powerband was more high rpm than I expected, almost like a 4, and it seemed to rev slow.

Maybe a gearing change would help? I got on my STR afterwards and still felt I was on the right bike.

#4 ·
When I bought my 2013 D675, the 899 wasn't out yet. I test-rode an 848 and found the D675 much superior. Easier to ride, smooooth motor, shifted great, has a slipper clutch, brakes were strong but easier to modulate than the Duc, the 848 didn't turn in well whereas the D675 steers by mere thought.

Overall, the Duc might be a shade faster (maybe) but the Triumph is easier to ride fast. On the street, in traffic, the Daytona is a better bike.

Parts and maintenance for the Triumph are less expensive, and I wouldn't dare attempt a desmo valve adjust.

The exhaust note of the Duc is a delight, but I also like the sound of the D675.

Ride both and see what you think.

#7 ·
Yep, Ducks are sexy and although I've not ridden the 899, I've owned three other Ducati's (still have one as you might surmise from my forum name) and ridden/worked on many others for both street and track. I'd lean a bit more toward the 675 for better street-ability and possibly midrange. If you perform your own valve adjustments and can remove camshafts to change shims, but don't feel comfortable tackling a 4-valve desmodromic valve adjustment... Well, even more reason to stick with the 675. I'm just over 19K on my '06 and still within the factory specs for valve clearances.

I would think the folks at Northern Ohio Ducati/Triumph in Akron (fairly close to you) would have a 899 for you to demo. That would certainly help you make up your mind. :wink3:

#8 ·
You might want to lurk on www.899panigale.org/forum/ for a while to read up on "issues".

I realize reading through forum complaints to understand the bike is like trying to assess the general health of a population by visiting the Hospital. It's not a true sample, but it can bring to light some consistent things.

Have fun.

x

#9 ·
I think the 899 has a plastic tank, like most Ducs. They blister. Some say it's due to ethanol. My buddy who has a 1098 pumps his tank dry after riding if the bike will sit for a few days.

It's been a big issue and I don't think it's really been solved. Read up before you buy.

#10 ·
I love Daytonas so I am bias. With that said, I rode my friends 899 and found the daytona much smoother. The 899 felt like it was shaking to pieces at low speeds. I could see the 899 being a great track weapon, all though I couldn't justify to price of parts and maintenance.

#11 ·
I have ridden an 899, and found that it didn't "move" me any where near as much as the 675 does.

The Daytona is smooth and comfortable to ride, and appears to be on song all the time. The 899 was lumpy and jerky and reminded me of why I no longer ride a V 2win...

Just my 2c worth.

I also rode a 2015 BMW S1000rr, and wished I had not. Now I want one.

#12 ·
I have ridden an 899, and found that it didn't "move" me any where near as much as the 675 does.

The Daytona is smooth and comfortable to ride, and appears to be on song all the time. The 899 was lumpy and jerky and reminded me of why I no longer ride a V 2win...

Just my 2c worth.

I also rode a 2015 BMW S1000rr, and wished I had not. Now I want one.
I also struggled with this same decision about a year ago. I had about 15K to spend on my sportsbike and naturally I was between the 899 Duc and the 675R. Turns out I never even test rode a 899, It was love at first ride for me on the 675R. I ended up purchasing it later that day, and havent looked back since! Every now and then part of me wonders if I should have gone with the 899 but after reading articles like this, and many others I know I made the right decision.

As for the BMW S1000rr, that is my dream bike, but at over 2x the price of the daytona I'll hold off on that one for a while! Go Triumph!

#14 ·
I'm in the market for a sports bike as well. I tried Duc P899, Monster 1200S, BMW S1000RR, R1200R and a used P1199s.
Yes the Ducs are pretty and they sound amazing. BMWs don't make my heart beat faster than Ducs or Triumphs (I own a F650GS and just sold a '11 Bonny). I was torn between the 899 and S1000RR. Then I test drove the 675 and made my deposit the same day for a 2015 675R.
I only got to ride 20 min of each bike (rode the 899 twice though).
Compared to 899, 675R's position was a bit more comfortable.
Engine feel is totally different and with different displacements, it wouldn't be apples to apple comparison but 675R is much more linear, smooth, and compliant... Although you can't fault the Duc's grunt and low rumbles, 675 stock pipe let out an amazing sound as well.
One thing that I do not like about the 899 at all is the heat on the bum. It got pretty hot after only 20 min of 70 degree temp, 60mph riding.
Looking at the bikes side by side, 675R isn't lacking in the looks department either. I made the call even with a significant discount on a brand new 899.
Best way to know is to try them both back to back! GL!

#17 ·
Katanafreak, my best recommendation is to buy both and ride them for a year. By then the odometers will tell you which one you really prefer. Sell the one with the lowest mileage.

#18 ·
899 is a stupid buy. Go buy a used 1199 for less if you're buying a ducati

#25 ·
Having ridden both the 899 and D675, I'd say they're both excellent bikes depending on your tastes. And I like the taste of both.

Duc: grunty, farty, moany, hot, oven-like, flickable, nimble, sexy, fast, expensive. Needs to be at or near triple digits to feel like you're doing something.

D675R: smooth, refined, growly, whiney, sharp, laser-like, fast, bargain, easy, fun. Needs to be ON to feel like your'e doing something.

And I'd rather have the 899 as a street bike than the 1199. The 1199 begs to be ridden above 100mph to be truly engaging. Anything lower and it's barely stretching its legs. The 899 is slightly less demanding and has more street usable power in my opinion.

On the track, I'd buy whatever your talent can handle.

#26 ·
A modern day spin on the old Triton (Triumph motor in a Norton frame). A Triumph motor in a Ducati 899 frame.

Gentlemen, I give you.....

The Tricati!

Soon to be the rage of bike customizers everywhere. Throw away that bothersome, rough, leaky, expensive-to-maintain crummy Ducati motor and drop in a smooth running Triumph triple. Surely the best of all possible worlds.

OP, at last you have your answer!

#27 ·
So I have been doing research and looking at the forums for both bikes. I just really cant make up my mind!!! I never would of thought of all things I wouldn't be able to pick a bike out lol! I am mostly going to be on the track with it, but will be riding it to work and some Southern Ohio twisties every now and then on nice days. To the poster that said buy both and sell one,.. I wish I could!!! That would be awesome!!! alas... I don't have that much saved up lol. Keep the posts coming! these are great! Again any pics or links or videos you guys find post them up as well! I am looking at everything! and with this shitty weather, im not in any hurry to rush out and pull the trigger. All I know is its definitely gonna be a 899 Panigale or a 675r.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.