Triumph 675 Forums banner

Bolt and nut fell off my Daytona

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MakinBeer 
#1 ·
Was standing next to my bike when I heard something fall and hit a few things on its way to the ground. Looks like a bolt with a nut on it that sheared off, has a plastic protective cover, and than an allen key in the bolt itself. Im assuming due to the allen that this was a stud? But honestly have no idea where this came from, pretty sure its not critical or structural as its a 10mm nut.

Any one have any idea where this could have come from?

See less See more
#3 ·
Welp just logged on to post what I found and you would be 100% correct, wish I would have seen this before I took the whole bike apart.... :D

Bike is still under warranty, and those are one of the few remaining bolts that I have not touched. Hopefully they will just replace it for me. Thank you for such a fast response!

#9 ·
Yeah thats what im thinking as well, i'll swing it by the dealer this week and find out.

Hopefully the warranty will cover it. Mine is an '11, so the mirrors might be different, but I had a similar problem and had to replace the whole mirror because the bolt was not available as a separate part.

Whoever torqued the nuts attaching your mirrors at the factory must be the same gorilla who did mine!
They should switch that guy to the guy that torques the engine covers down :whistle:

tot,
Just spotted your post. Can you photograph what's left of the stud that is still secured in the mirror base? If you have enough sticking out of the base, you may be able to loosen it and remove it.

Once removed, you can obtain a length of threaded rod (6.0mm x 1.0 if memory serves) and install a new one yourself. In a pinch, cut off the head of an ordinary bolt and use this piece.

As a third alternative, once the broken stud is removed, you could use an actual bolt instead. This will leave you with two different fasteners; (3) of the original nuts on their studs, and (1) new bolt.

Just thought I'd provide some options if the entire mirror is not covered under warranty. :wink3:
I can absolutely give that a shot. Im not even going to touch it until after this weekend so the dealer can see it as is without me messing with it. If they cant do anything for me ill go down that road. Thank you for the tips!

#5 ·
Hopefully the warranty will cover it. Mine is an '11, so the mirrors might be different, but I had a similar problem and had to replace the whole mirror because the bolt was not available as a separate part.

Whoever torqued the nuts attaching your mirrors at the factory must be the same gorilla who did mine!

#8 ·
tot,
Just spotted your post. Can you photograph what's left of the stud that is still secured in the mirror base? If you have enough sticking out of the base, you may be able to loosen it and remove it.

Once removed, you can obtain a length of threaded rod (6.0mm x 1.0 if memory serves) and install a new one yourself. In a pinch, cut off the head of an ordinary bolt and use this piece.

As a third alternative, once the broken stud is removed, you could use an actual bolt instead. This will leave you with two different fasteners; (3) of the original nuts on their studs, and (1) new bolt.

Just thought I'd provide some options if the entire mirror is not covered under warranty. :wink3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.