Triumph 675 Forums banner

When to upgrade your track bike?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  vitogt2 
#1 ·
When do you track guys usually upgrade to a new track machine?

Is it when a new model comes out, you get bored of your current setup or when you total it?

I have a first gen Daytona 675 that I turned into a track bike and I was wondering how much I can get out of it. Honestly if I could get 3-4 seasons out of it and then be able to sell it for around $3-4k as a down payment for a new machine I would be stoked. I was thinking of waiting till a new breed of 600s release, possibly a R6.

Any other First Gen track bike owners here? How has it treated you, any irregular repairs needed? Just tying to guage how much I can get out of this bike if I don't total it haha.

#2 ·
I've been pondering this question myself. What I've decided is to wait until I feel like there are guys beating me not because they are better riders, but because they're on better bikes. Thus far, every time I'm chasing a guy out of the last corner, I'm cursing myself, not the bike.

My bike has something like 12,000 track km on it. Valves haven't even gone out of spec yet. It's solid as a brick.

#3 ·
I usually look to upgrade when one of two things happen: My current ride is destroyed beyond any hope of fixing it or when I can't possibly upgrade my bike any more and I'm still getting crushed in races. I've run into both problems before. I knew I had to get my current bike when my 99 R6 just couldn't keep up with any of the 600s anymore no matter how much I wanted it to. It was a 13 year old bike, too.

Some folks will jump to a new ride when they see a deal they can't pass up. If that were the case all the time, I'd have 40 race bikes right now.

#4 ·
Nice!! I feel a lot better about my 9 year old bike. Granted I refreshed the hell out of it and upgraded it. Its literally been checked over top to bottom. Every bolt, but has been torqued. Everything serviced from brakes to forks and etc.. So yes it's a first gen but its a modified and serviced one that I will begin my track hobby on and I feel confident it will surprise me and make me very happy.

I guess it just sucks seeing all these people on brand new R1s, S1Ks and R6s but I love my little D675 and will do my best to get the best out of it.

I'll go with the advice of when it can't compete or I'm out riding it then I'll upgrade.

#5 ·
i switched from a cbr600RR to a 675R after I took my friend's 675R for a few laps on the track. I was hooked! the sound, thinness, flickability, and torque made me want one. My cbr was fairly new and I only had two track seasons on it, but I have a problem buying bikes. I'm at 6 now>:) One big reason for buying the bike was it was already built as a trackbike vs me buying everything and doing the labor.

#7 ·
True I plan on getting atleast a couple seasons out of this track bike then sell it for a down payment on a new machine.

#8 ·
I've got an '07 with 22,xxx miles on it (maybe 3,000 from track). It's been a dedicated trackbike for about 3 seasons. It's got Ohlins, Penske, MJS, Brembo, etc on it and I can play and mix it up with my friends on GSXR-750's at Road America in the advanced group. I've never had to do anything to the motor just RR, Stator, and CPS. They can walk me on the straights, but just brake later and use the corner speed to catch up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.