Triumph 675 Forums banner

Lights on but no-one is home. 2014 STR won't start.

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DanoInTx 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was recently doing a little work on my 2014 Street Triple R, added new rear turn signals, and when I went to start my bike it turned over, ran for a second or two then quit. I hit the starter button again and same happened. I cycled the key and tried again and nothing, didn't turn over at all, but the odd thing was my headlight was on right when I turned the key on, but it's usually out until the bike starts? Anyways I cycled the key again, this time I removed the key and let it sit for a minute, and it started right up like a champ! The next day I hopped on it to go to work, started fine, I got a couple blocks away and noticed the CEL was on. Went home, swapped for my car and went to work. Came home that night after doing some reading on the subject and ran it a couple times and the CEL went out. I figured it was all good, so I went on a short ride to a friends and when I got ready to leave, turn the key, headlight on, no fuel injection priming noise and starter button does nothing. Cycled key, let it set and it started right up. Thought maybe while I was playing electrician I wore down the battery and freaked the system out, so I stuck it on my battery tender, it reached full charge in less than maybe 10 minutes. Today I started and ran it 4-5 more times without issue. As far as my electrical work all I did was solder stock signal plugs to new lights and then plugged them in, I didn't tamper with factory harness at all. I've order a Dealertool, but it won't be here for a few days. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
Rode it a couple times this past weekend without issue, almost would rather have a hard fault than get stranded randomly. One thing I realized is that since the headlight comes on immediately when I turn the key, the ECU must think the bike is already running, thus disabling the starter button (that's my logic at least). I should get my Dealertool in the mail within the next week or so, and from what I understand is that the ECU will store the last 50 faults (can anyone confirm?). So whatever the initial issue was when I had the failed start it should be stored still even though the CEL has cleared itself. Even though the battery didn't take long to charge on the tender I'm still hoping this all was just caused by low voltage battery irking the ECU and now that I have it fulling charged it should be cool(really wish I had thrown the multimeter on the battery before recharging, meh!).

If anyone can shed a light or have any quick troubleshooting ideas that would be awesome.

Thanks,

Dan

#3 ·
I have two Triumphs, '14 STR and '08 Tiger1050. The headlights come on when the key is turned on for both. The bypass is in the starter relay so the headlight cuts out only when the starter button is pushed. Also, even if your battery goes green on the charger it may have a weak cell and not be up to it when starting. Maybe a dealer or auto parts store can load test it if you take it out and bring it to them. Triumph ECU's can do strange things if the voltage drops too much.

#4 ·
I have two Triumphs, '14 STR and '08 Tiger1050. The headlights come on when the key is turned on for both. The bypass is in the starter relay so the headlight cuts out only when the starter button is pushed.....
Thanks for that info, I could swear my headlight is out till I press the starter button, will have to check it again when I get home. I DO have a single LED headlight conversion, so that's not standard, but I don't think it would make any difference as current headlight was purchased with proper connection and my standard loom has not been altered. I also don't remember any difference in behavior when I had the stock duel headlights, although the little bottom running lights came on, just not the hi/low beams(again, maybe I'm having mushy memory). One thing I thought of is when I was working on the bike I had the key in the ignition and had it turned full left without realizing it, so my license plate light was left on for maybe 10-15 minutes. With a healthy battery I wouldn't think that little light would drop the voltage that much in that short of a time, but maybe that's the case?

BTW, anybody have a clue why our ignition switches allow the key to turn to the full left setting beyond steering lock? I can see no use for this setting other than to accidentally leave on and drain battery? I like to call this setting the "Darwin Setting", haha!

Thanks again for the info Gosling!

Dan

#5 ·
Rode it again a couple times in the last few days, my headlight definitely does NOT come on until the motor cranks. When the no start issue happens the headlight DOES come on before I ever press the starter button. Again, I have an aftermarket headlight, so that could be the difference, but I'm pretty sure my stock one was the same, although the little tiny running lights would come on. I've ran it a dozen times now and the issue hasn't returned, so I may be ok. Still waiting for my Dealertool to arrive so I can check old faults and see if it sheds any light on the issue.

Thanks,

Dan

#6 ·
I have a 14 STR, the headlight comes on when the key is turned into the start position. If the voltage is too low maybe the anti theft gets involved possibly not allowing the fuel pump to operate? Your left(counterclockwise) most key setting turns on parking lights(I never use them) your aftermarket headlights may not be wired into this? When I changed out my blinkers I had similar issue, anything below full voltage these bikes ECU gets really cranky. Mine threw a CEL also but cleared itself when I rode it. This was over a year ago, no issues since, keep it on a battery tender. Good luck!

#7 ·
Yep, my vote is leaning towards low battery freaking out the ECU. The problem hasn't returned after a dozen or so rides. My Dealertool came in the mail today, or so the USPS website says, so hopefully tonight when I get home I can have a go at it and see which if any codes are stored. I'm starting to feel less and less like it's going to leave me stranded when I stop for gas, as in it's been great for a few days and I only had the weirdness happen 3 times and it was before I ran it on the tender. I may pick up a new battery and throw that at it just to be sure, mine is the original that came with the bike (2014). Thanks for the help!

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.