Triumph 675 Forums banner

Do these brakes need to be replaced to pass tech inspection?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ricracer16 
#1 ·
First track day coming up. Do you guys think these need to be replaced to pass tech? I really have no reference to go on. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't say with 100% certainty, but they look like they have plenty of meat left on them. I would definitely recommend cleaning your pistons though. If you're not going take your calipers all the way apart, at least push the pistons out a little bit more and use a paper towel to wipe them down. Lot's of dirt in there!

#3 ·
While those look ok to me, the only way to know is to measure how thick they are and look in the manual. Perhaps others here know what the standard pad thickness is for your bike. But, in essence, measure the thickness of each pad and compare it to the minimum recommended. On my 2015 Daytona 675R the manual states that my rear pads should be at least 4.5mm (this includes the thickness of the plate holding the pad and the pad itself). If either is less than 4.5mm then I should replace both pads. For my front pads it only speaks of the thickness of the pad itself, not the plate, and states that it must be at least 1mm or to replace both pads.

#9 ·
How old are those pads? I found that my normal brake pads stopped performing properly even though there was enough "meat" left on them. I replaced them and the brakes are EPIC now. I have read that the hot and cold cycles decrease the life expectancy of the pads. Just a thought. Brake pads are cheap and easy enough to change.

#12 ·
Thickness looks fine, but like mentioned before those calipers need to be cleaned thoroughly. A friend of mine who wrenched on a former wsbk Honda factory team taught me to clean calipers with hot water and soap, no fancy brake cleaners needed. Just a small tooth brush to fit in the right spots, and go after all that dirt, then simply dry using pressurized air. He said, for the rider he was wrenching for, he could feel the difference between a dirty caliper and a clean one. The importance isn't when applying the brake, it's the action of releasing which is most sensitive and important to this rider. Since, I've started cleaning my calipers this way, I don't know if it's simply in my head (probably) but I believe I feel a bit a difference or maybe I'm simply more conscious of the difference when trailing into corners and releasing the lever. Also, bring a second set of pads just in case and anyway, it never hurts to have spares at the track.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.