Triumph 675 Forums banner

Charity Raffle - 2011 Triumph Daytona 675, 2,500 miles!

36K views 129 replies 36 participants last post by  jbot 
#1 · (Edited)
The raffle is over. Thanks to everyone who participated. I can't say enough about the support that came from this forum, you guys are the best.

Congratulations to Sean Heller of Euclid, OH who was the winner of the bike. I'll be signing the title over and delivering the bike this weekend, now all he has to do is wait all winter long to ride it. :laugh:

#5 ·
It's times like this that I hate being slow at work...If I wasn't worried about my job i'd probably be buying 10 tickets or more right now :laugh:

I wish the best of luck to your brother! Just a little cheerer up, they told my uncle 10 years ago that he'd never walk again. 8 months after they told him that he was not only walking, but back to running cross country. I think it's just the person has to believe there is a chance for them to get better!

#7 ·
It's times like this that I hate being slow at work...If I wasn't worried about my job i'd probably be buying 10 tickets or more right now :laugh:

I wish the best of luck to your brother! Just a little cheerer up, they told my uncle 10 years ago that he'd never walk again. 8 months after they told him that he was not only walking, but back to running cross country. I think it's just the person has to believe there is a chance for them to get better!
I dthink you are right. I can't believe they even told him he probably wouldn't walk again. I don't know why they would want to take away his hope like that. But he hasn't given in to what they said yet and he is already proving them wrong.

#9 ·
Sorry about your brother, I wish him the best. Hope this raffle picks up speed for you guys.

#11 ·
Yup, I need to get more tickets sold! It's only been like 24 hours and I've sold a lot but have a lot more to go. I'll be taking the bike with me for my last 3 race rounds of the year which is at 3 different tracks in 3 different states so hoping I will get a lot sold at those. Definitely the right crowd of people there who would be interested in the bike.

#17 ·
He already said in his O.P. clean title no liens in his name.

#18 ·
Im really sorry to hear about your brothers accident. I hope he heals up and is able to walk and mountain bike again. He sounds like he has a strong will and that's good. You are probably the greatest brother in the world. This is a great idea and shows where your loyalties are. Good man.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

#21 · (Edited)
Yes, I kinda cut the message short cause I got distracted. We have been in touch with angel flights, but they deal more with moving the patients family around and not so much the patient. Our only option is a medical flight, but we were told flat out that it wouldn't be covered by insurance. Medical flights cost about $25-30K, and I'm hoping to help cover a lot of that with this raffle.

I don't blame anyone for questioning me about it, I kinda just jumped into the pool headfirst and thought about it afterwards. I think the best option would have been to find a charity or non-profit to help run the raffle for me, but I figured it would be easy and I wanted to get the ball rolling. I'm currently working with an organization called HelpHOPELive and seeing if it is at all possible to get them to host my raffle. My biggest concern with that is that they hold on to the money and it can only be applied to medical expenses. I want to make sure that it can be applied to a medical flight first.

#22 ·
Sheesh.. See if there are any coupons you can print out. :laugh:

#23 ·
Agreed see if there are any just coupon/tickets you could mail back to people.

Also is he in need of constant hookup to equipment during travel? If not you could always see about a private business jet flight direct that could be much more cost effective and a quick flight never know if you contact a company that does them or even a private company that has a jet what they could/would do to help someone in need.

I worked at an airport for a while and saw a lot of the medical flights and a lot of the pilots / planes on those are volunteers who use their planes basically for a major tax write off.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#24 ·
Also is he in need of constant hookup to equipment during travel?
Nope, he just can't walk and in his current condition can't sit up for more than a couple hours and he needs to lay back down. The surgery on his back where they fused 5 vertebrae still hasn't healed all the way and is quite painful.

My mom is trying to do the research on how to get him home, and so far the best option is a medical flight. They are just super expensive.

#26 ·
That being the case you should be able to find a direct private flight on a business jet that could do it for "expensive for an average joe" but cheap in comparison to a medical flight. There is a company called netjets that does private flights as well as the possibility of someone being able to help you out at a local airport (typically a smaller one not a large commercial one) may not hurt to go talk around and see if anyone there could point you in the right direction of something local. I mean heck throw a couple of G's around and you might find someone with a jet or turboprop willing to pony up and do it for y'all haha.

#29 ·
Sounds like you guys have some aviation knowledge. Looking at the private jet option, and they list an "hourly rate" for the flight. Is that rate calculated by actual flying time only, or is that like total rental time in which case $2100-2800 per hour is outrageous. If it is just flying time then it would be a cheaper option than a medical flight but I still worry if he will be able to lay down on one of those or not?

#30 ·
Normally it would be flight time I believe, best bet would be call and ask and being able to lay back would depend a lot on the aircraft most of them will have seats that recline to a degree but if they have one with seats that rotate and recline then your mom could bring a small table or something with a pillow and prop his legs up to get it very close to laying down. Also it seems like there should be a cheaper flight than that or it may just be the people I had seen using services like that weren't traveling very far.

Then again if you could get one to do a 2-3 hour flight that wouldn't be too bad but would once again depend on the aircraft.

I would expect a flight like that would most likely take one stop unless you got a jet with a very long range. I personally don't know a whole lot of details about the private jet flights just when I worked at the airport saw quite a few of them coming in and out as we catered to the pilots every need there. Ill try to do a little more research myself to help y'all out as well what's the zip in Utah and the zip in Florida so I'd have an idea on distance when checking stuff out.

#36 ·
Best wishes to your brother.

Keep me posted on the status of tickets remaining. I may throw my bid in for one.
Will do. Sold about ~60 so far in the first week. Sales were starting to slow, so I reposted on more forums, my local Triumph dealer let me put up a flyer, and I'm bringing it to the track for my last 2 race rounds and hoping I'll get a bunch more sold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.