Triumph 675 Forums banner

Footpeg vibration on the throttle

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Dsc45shooter 
#1 ·
Im noticing a lot of vibration from my footpegs. Its enough to make my foot numb after an hour. It has 8000 miles, on its third set of tires, and i use belray clean lube every 400 but dont clean it maybe once per summer. So far ive taken the wheel off and checked cush drive. Seems to be ok. The spacer between the sprocket carrier and wheel bearing was a little scuffed up and i noticed a little scuffing on the two mating surfaces that look like bearing races that ride against each other. My chain is set to about 1-1 1/4 inches. Had about 1 1/2 before attemping my own diagnosis. All the bearings rotate freely. Any thoughts? Yes, im calling the stealership.

#3 ·
Yeah i rechecked torque on engine mounting bolts. As far as the slack, best thing i came up with was to place a tape measure behind the chain vertically from the floor and then rotate the wheel backwards to look for tightest spot on chain. Found two spots that were the tightest when comparing to tape measure behind it. Of the slack spots and tight spots, there was maybe a half inch total rise and fall of the chain. I then measured the chain adjustment slack from one of the two tight spots. Id pull the chain down with medium pressure and then up with medium pressure and set it at about 1 1/4. Thinking about trying the minimum of 1/2" just to see how it feels. Seems way to tight for a chain though. I also used the ratchet strap method to check the slack and got the same measurement. The. I double checked wheel alignment.

#6 ·
Starting around 5000 and on up. However i think i tamed it a little today. Cut pieces of rubber to go under the cush drive and rebalanced the wheel which was off. The vibration is less now. I still dont think that stepped spacer that fits inside the sprocket carrier bearing should wiggle around the shagt though. I mean there is a lot of play. It was on $15 so i ordered one.

Attachments

#8 ·
I am so upset with my 2014 Striple and ready to jump ship back to a gsxr. Tried to go for a long ride today and after 45 min, my feet were numb and now my hands are starting to tingle and feel it too. I think its getting worse. However i did notice something new today. When jumping on the interstate to go home because i was pissed, i pulled the clutch at 80 mph and of course the ride was smooth like glass. At first, this confirmed the vibration was coming from the driverrain as stated in earlier posts. What i did new was rev the engine to 7500 rpm (80 mph) and hold it while coasting at 80. The vibration is coming from the engine not the drivertrain! Now i believe that counts out the chain, sprockets, and anything else final drive related in the outside of the engine. Bike has 9000 miles on it now and the power output hasnt changed, just this vibration that makes me want to accidentally tip the bike over and say haha. Ive scheduled a dealer visit but can already see some young kid telling me after a week, "oh its a triumph and supposed to be like that." Not sure what in the engine could do this.

#9 ·
Try this as an easy test: open your gas cap and just let it rest open on the tank, and take it for a ride. The venting to the gas tank through the cap is very restrictive on these bikes.

It might seem like a strange test, but I had a similar issue where the bike was running "rough", causing weird fueling issues at low throttle openings, and generally having more vibrations at the bars and pegs. In my case, it was a clogged breather line, which caused pressure build up in the tank, and made the bike run lean.

Also a tell tale sign is a swoosh sound when you open the cap.

#11 ·
I'm having sort of the same problem as yours. Mine vibrates at 3800-4000 RPM when I open the throttle to accelerate and constantly again at 7700-8000 RPM. Must be something out of alignment and resonating at those RPM.

Some people suggested chain but the vibration is RPM and not speed specific so it's got to be engine related.

It's not so bad as to drive my feet numb but it gives me a creepy feeling of something about to go "bang". I'll ask my mechanic to check clutch and rotor bearings on the approaching big service. I might be totally off on this but one has to start somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.