Triumph 675 Forums banner

Chain / sprocket size question

27K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Geof3 
#1 ·
I am in the market for just a chain. I'll need chain/sprockets next time.

My question is what is the difference in 520 and 525? I understand I need a 116 link chain for stock sprocket sizes but do I need 520 or 525?

#2 ·
I beleive stock the bike is 525. In order for you to use a 520 chain your sprockets must match! You save in weight(lose weight) with the 520 chain and sprocket combo.

EDIT: Just checked and stock chain is 525.

#5 ·
I have a chain drive chain related question. What is the typical lifespan for the stock chain on a 2008 D675? I have almost 18,000 miles and I think it is time to replace mine. I measured across 20 links and I am pretty much at the max spec. Does this sound about right?

Also, does anyone else here run the RK 525XSO chain on their Daytona? I am thinking of that as a replacement. And just to confirm the stock size, it is 525 and 116 links, correct? Thanks!

#6 ·
18,000 is normal if you keep up with it, better loose then tight most of the time. Personally, I wouldn'tput a 520 on a street bike. You aren't going to be able to notice the difference in rolling weight, I would rather have the durability of the bigger chain. Like I said that is me. I DEFINITELY don't recommend aluminum sprockets. I've had the fronts shear all but a couple teeth inside 5000 track miles, and I was checking the chain EVERY time I took the bike out.

I've seen the lifetime warrantied ones a la AFRAM, but I have yet to see one on a bike in person, so I can't say if they are worth it or not. However, 22 years of motorcycles tells me no sprocket is going to last forever.

I have that exact RK in 530 on my Speed Triple, its been almost 7,000 miles since it needed adjustment. right now its sitting right around 10,000 since I put it on, and your sizing for the Daytona sounds right, but I didn't really look into it as its going to be a while before I need a chain on mine.

#7 ·
I am in the market for just a chain. I'll need chain/sprockets next time.

My question is what is the difference in 520 and 525? I understand I need a 116 link chain for stock sprocket sizes but do I need 520 or 525?
The difference is the width of the centerbar roller. Between a 525 and a 520 there isn't going to be a huge difference. I doubt you would notice stock gearing 525 vice 520 stock gearing.

As above, you have to have 520 sprockets and chain. Otherwise the sprockets will destroy the chain in short order for either to much lateral slack or not being able to settle into the roller.

#8 ·
525 is the stock size, but from my understanding, you can change sprockets w/o changing the chain but not the other way around. and FWIW I presently run a 520 conversion with a steel front and an aluminum rear and I havent had any strange wear issues, I also ran the same setup on my 2005 R6 from 2005 till present with no extreme wear issues

#9 ·
If you go for 520 you'll need the whole set....actually every time that you mess with the final drive... do the whole set. The 520 will be lighter so will have better gyroscopic movement. The wheel will spin faster. If you decide to go for 520 DO NOT SAVE MONEY ON THE CHAIN!!! You're down sizing the final drive, but a good chain will do the service. Thre's one guy selling VORTEX sprokets. check the forum.

#10 ·
Thre's one guy selling VORTEX sprokets. check the forum.
Riders Discount are selling then and they have an awsom deal on the DID ERV3 chains :thumbup:

#12 ·
116 links is enough. The chain will more than likely come with 120 and you will have to cut away some links. don't forget to take into account the master link that you are attaching!

#13 ·
I ran 520s on both my Ducati and Speed Triple. No problems at all. The key is, correct adjustment. Same thing with aluminum rear sprockets. Steel fronts are the way to go. Aluminum rears wear out a bit faster, but not much if you do proper maintenance. If you get a high quality chain it is not a problem to run a 520. If you change your sprocket sizes your mileage recording will be incorrect as well as your speedometer. You will need to get a speedo-healer to compensate if that is an issue for you.

In terms of changing chains/sprockets etc. I have always stuck with changing the entire package at the same time. It's less hassle and you know exactly what the mileage is on the entire final drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.