Triumph 675 Forums banner

Any need for custom 675 bike parts? particularily "Race Railz"

6K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  Brazen 
#1 · (Edited)
Any need for custom 675 bike parts? particularily "Race Railz"

Hey guys, just wondering of how much interest there would be for a local company to start building cages/protection bars for our bikes. There are a LOT of bikes out there that have very limited aftermarket part availability, outs seems to fall in that category unfortunately.
A good friend of mine owns a metal working fab shop that is looking to expand the services they offer, so I suggested making these cages for our bikes.
He's quite interested, but was wondering of how much interest there would be... and what you guys expect. Towards price & colors (etc).

Also, what else other then cages would you guys want, thats not offered by other companies, or at least is stupidly expensive & of poor quality, where as he could build a better product?

They will basically be along the lines of race railz.
Were in the design phase currently, basically were after very good looking yet extremely functional units, for both Track nut/racer, stunters alike and everyday riders as well.

Let me know what you guys think, towards these custom "race railz" type caging systems, and other parts you guys would want, that other people either AREN'T making, or are making of very poor quality/high price VS. value.
Basically, this is a feeler thread, that if given enough interest, we'll start building them for the 675, and other Triumph (sport) bikes. From there, we'll become sponsers on 675.net and offer discounts to you guys/our friends on this forum.

Also, custom machined triple trees/yolks are quite a possibility. Amongst many other possibilities.
________
PrettySonya

See less See more
#6 ·
True, my buddy that has a gsxr600 is getting into that stunting stuff and it annoys the hell out of me. All he does is goes like 20mph and tries to clutch the front up. Damn, your bike is meant to go around corners to you know. I doubt many 675 riders would get a cage.

#10 ·
damn dont have to flame the dude he is just trying to offer a product. and race rails arent a stunta cage two totally different things. and while i havent seen racers with race rails (most dont even use sliders) i have seen them on track bikes and aggressive street riders. while there might not be a demand for them for our bike he is just trying to offer a service and gets ripped on.

what about like shark fins, mirror block offs bar ends that type of stuff can he do that?

#14 · (Edited)
damn dont have to flame the dude he is just trying to offer a product. and race rails arent a stunta cage two totally different things. and while i havent seen racers with race rails (most dont even use sliders) i have seen them on track bikes and aggressive street riders. while there might not be a demand for them for our bike he is just trying to offer a service and gets ripped on.

what about like shark fins, mirror block offs bar ends that type of stuff can he do that?
I think it was peoples disdain for stunters in general thats coming to the surface. I didn't do anything to create hostilities, and I don't take it personally. I myself do not stunt, but I do hit the track whenever I can, so I can appreciate the added level of safety that a hypothetical cage or rail system could offer. To me its nice to know that my engine & lower plastics are being well taken care of in the event of a serious bail. I can push myself and the bike a fair bit harder knowing that.

But there isn't anything he can't build, short of the engine itself (engine parts he can do however), another thing he can't do would be the radiator. ( amongst other non-metal related things I mean)
He can do electrical systems too, so any sort of ECU system of whatever sorts. I dont know the complexities of the 675 well enough to know what can be improved on, like I say its a broad range of possibilities.
I was just hoping for feedback in regards to what you guys are after. Thanks a lot for the two suggestions already... I'll look into that.
________
Toys live

#17 ·
I think you guys missed out on the second item he listed. TRIPLE CLAMPS/ yokes. I don't need them but you track day whores and racers could benefit greatly from them. Lets say 24 degree rake and 4" trail. Or better yet adjustable? Forget stunt cages and make some frame protectors that wont bust the valve cover and cylinder. He could sell a shit load of those.

#18 ·
How about some super duper extra thick and hard engine covers/ valve covers?

I would like "race railz" too. But I dont think they're legal in WERA. Havent really checked though. And I would only be interested is if/when you crash theres pretty much no possibility that the race rail itself wont F anything else up from a minor/medium level of severeness crash. Unlike all frame sliders.

#20 ·
Thank you Graham M! I appreciate you trying to help others on the forum :cool2:. For those that shot you down...well...if you don't have anything supportive to so say don't waste his time posting. All he is trying to do is help and receives criticism in return. Also thanks for being more mature than those that criticied you and not being rude. That speaks for itself :nod:

Any kind of slider is a good idea. I think they are way overpriced for such a simple design. Someone mentioned beefier engine covers, and I think that's a great idea as well.

#22 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delayed response. Alright were doing the testing right now for CSS & WERA approved bars. Right now were just doing the final measurements. They'll cover the engine quite well, and the lower plastic. So the only points that'll touch the ground (on the front of the bike at least) will be the bar itself, and the clip on bar ends.
Were going to call them "bail rails" or "bail bars".
To be offered in the OEM colors 675's are offered in, as in Scorched yellow, Tornado red, Graphite (etc).

Sorry, but for the last post above this one, what do you mean by "fairing stay" ? What degree of angle would people want the triple trees to be? Or what sort of customization to you guys want? We can change the rake level of the forks, but other then that, short of offering lighter wieght (& higher strength) triple trees, there isn't much that can be improved (short of rake degree I mean).

Our price will be around the $150 USD range for a pair (we figure, it may be off by $20-30 or so). Painted to the OEM colors. Chrome is extra.

Just as a bit of a roll call, who would be interested here?
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

#29 ·
Alright were doing the testing right now for CSS & WERA approved bars. Were going to call them "bail rails" or "bail bars".
Just as a bit of a roll call, who would be interested here?
I guess you weren't paying attention when we told you that your BAIL BARS won't sell well to this crowd. You might sell three or four but it's not worth making just 3 or 4 and make any kind of profit. If you made them for GSXR's...they would sell pretty good because squids and stunters buy that sort of stuff.

"Bail Bars"?? who was the rocket scientist that thought of calling them that? :laugh:

#32 ·
i would be interested in a full protection system. Possibly bars, or a mini rail that bolts to the tail subframe. clutch protector, rear sets, even just improved pegs. i don't know why people are being such hard asses if someone is trying to broaden our choices in aftermarket parts? are you afraid your precious 675 will be looked at as less of a bike because some people chose to go a different route than a slip on and rim tape?
-Andrew

#33 ·
I don't think there would be a big market in those for Triumphs. Companies like Sick Innovations, Freestyle Inginuity, Racing 905, etc already make cages for most bikes that people would stunt. I can't imagine anyone using a Triumph for a stunt bike, hell, thats what I kept my zx6r around for so long. I caged it, geared it, got good at wheelies and stoppies and was going to try learning circles. Untill my daytona came along, I sold my zx6r to get her:) still always on the lookout for a 636 to stunt though.

#36 ·
I am no stunter nor do I desire to be, but Triumph does or atleast did (haven't heard anything in awhile) sponsor Kyle Woods as a stunter on a D675, disagree with stunting the daytona or not that guy can do amazing things on a bike and was receiving money and free bikes for doing it.

#35 ·
Digging up an old thread here, what ever happened to this? There was some good discussion here! I also would be interested in race railz... I like cage that freestyle offers, but its a bit spends and somewhat gaudy. I would love something more on the lines of these:

I also like the idea of having a "puck" on the end of the rail as well...

#38 ·
I dunno if many people would be interested in this, but I have designed a tail slider for a Street triple. I got the idea from Skyking's Daytona tail slider. this way I don't have to have my passenger pegs and it will still protect the bike in-case of a fall. I tried to get the local machine shop to make me a prototype, but they quoted me $600! the idea is to attach skyking sliders to this bracket.
would you be interested in making it?
its about 2 x 4 x 1.5 inches, 6061-T6 AL. how much would it cost? see attached picture. thx.

this is what it looks like on daytona, but on striple the bolts that hold the rear pegs are vertical not horizontal like daytona, thus the need for the bracket.

here's the slider i designed:

you attach the slider in the opening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.