Triumph 675 Forums banner

running hot/overheating

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ruby Racing 
#1 ·
had some overheating issues while stuck in horrendous traffic over the weekend and decided to try flushing the coolant and upgrading to waterless coolant but still chasing down issues. After the switch to waterless coolant, doing the proper flush and high volume/low pressure compressed air cleanup, slow fill, shake from side to side, and hose squeezes, the bike is still running hot when stopped at lights and idling. Confirmed the fan is working and the old coolant looked clean with no sign of corrosion. Am i still plagued with air bubbles/pockets or is there something else I should check? Bike runs great and stays in the middle heat range while moving.

Any tips and/or help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason

#3 ·
When I bough mine in September last year, (used with 20K miles on the clock) it used to get hot really fast and the radiator fan would kick in after about 3-4Kms of city riding, in temps averaging 22-24 degrees C. As time got by for some reason it became noticeably better and in the same ambient temps now the bike can sometimes finish a 5Km ride without the fan kicking in at all.

This got me thinking and knowing that the previous owner scarcely rode the bike, perhaps this has to do with the ECU having ample operation time to adapt its long-term A/F ratios but I'm not really sure - I might be talking absolute nonsense. However, I think it's worth a try: unless you really have a problem and the temp gauge goes over maximum recommended reading, I'd suggest wait for a while, ride the bike a lot and see how it goes after you do 1.5-2K miles.

#7 ·
I found on my 2006 after ordering a new thermostat for the back of the motor that the bleed hole on the replacement did not have the ball bearing in it that the original did. My theory was that this bearing was preventing enough fluid through when filing up and creating an air pocket. Early bikes can be a PITA to expel all the air. I reckon Triumph found this and that's why they removed it. The rest of the thermostat was identical to the old one.

When working on my second 2006 bike I pushed out this ball bearing and had no issues getting all the air out. This might be worth doing to yours. A bit of hassle getting there as it's just under the injector assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.