Triumph 675 Forums banner

Brake Fluid

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Kriswithak 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure i'm not the first to ask but , here goes.

I just had my front brakes done on my '14 D675R. I have put maybe, maybe 700 miles on the bike since then and my brake fluid is already changing color. I just went to 421 The Snake in shady Valley, TN this past weekend and really noticed the color change.

What is a good choice in fluid that is going to last longer than 700-1k miles. I really don't want to have to change my brake fluid every time I go to the mountains (which is a lot. I do about 12k miles a year.).
It looks like Maxima Brake Fluid has the highest boiling point of any other fluids I have seen. Has any one used it?

Thanks,
Adam

#2 ·
Unless it turned black, you're being paranoid.

#9 ·
+1. I use prestone brake fluid. It's 4/5 dollars a can and there's plenty to spare for other vehicles.

#13 ·
I just use whatever Motul the local shop has that's DOT4. I just buy a small container and replace it if I've had it too long. Not sure the whole absorbing moisture thing is all that much of a problem when it gets opened a few times a year, but you never know.

I normally change (or more regularly just bleed) my brake fluid when it starts to feel spongy. How do you know it's changed colour though? Has it changed in the reservoir?

If you are replacing the fluid, get something a different colour to your current fluid to make it easier to tell when you've flushed the system completely. Although if you've noticed a big change in colour that may not be an issue, just seems strange considering how few km you have done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.