Triumph 675 Forums banner

13-14 Daytona 675 [R] Problems/Issues

209K views 827 replies 121 participants last post by  Magnum Maximum 
#1 · (Edited)
I didn't find a thread with all the problems condensed into one thread so thought I'd start one. Anybody with a 2013-2014 Daytona 675 or 675R post what issues you have noticed with your bike. From what I searched on the forum these are some common problems:

***Some of the fixes at the dealership may take some convincing or might get the run around, but they should get a hold of Triumph and get the green light.***

I have only experienced the counter shaft seal leak and Exup cables. Exup cables were adjusted by dealership and CEL was cleared. Now have a Servo Buddy and aftermarket exhaust so that shouldn't be an issue in the future (unless Servo Buddy goes bad for some reason). Add the pivot plate to my list, but I replaced that with the Apex MFG pivot plate.

Edit: The dealership replaced my CS seal twice and still leaked, so I ended up replacing it myself with an industrial oil seal recommended by another member and so far it's held up better than the original and the two replaced by the dealer.

Please post your problems as they arise or go more in depth from what I have listed. Will try to add the arising issues and the fix as they come up.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you look at the engine on the left side where the counter sprocket is, you'll see streaks of oil running down from there making it's way to the oil pan. If you notice it and want to take it to the dealership, leave the streak there so they can confirm the leak. I found out the hard way, but they got in contact with Triumph and it's gonna get replaced.

#7 ·
I have around 70 miles on my 2014 675R and the only things I don't like so far are the following:

Throttle play (will be adjusted soon)
Engine startup is a little weak (could be because it's new and not broken in)
Rear brake squeaks a little bit (Brembos and cold weather don't mix lol)

I have to check my bike for the oil leaks you guys mentioned and I need to tighten the coolant hoses as well.

Subscribed for future updates.

#12 ·
I thought there was only a couple degrees between 1050 and the new tube?

#13 ·
The throttle tube is slightly bigger with the 1050 and thought I'd give it a shot. It takes a lot to crack the throttle on the OEM throttle tube.

Here's the difference between the D675, 1050, and my '09 R6.

I had a piece of PVC tubing on my stock R6 throttle tube which did help a little; also did something similar to my previous '06 R1. Now I'm running a MotionPro QT throttle for my R6.

#15 ·
All the same problems w/my '13 D675R as all mentioned, but no issue w/the Exup (yet!!). Also loose bolts EVERYWHERE, some not much more then hand tight, 2 fell out luckily non-critical. Been awesome otherwise and a dream on the track!

Is your tube pic of the OEM D675R a '13? I measured mine at 72 degrees of rotation which seems to me the same as a 1050 tube. 13 years on a '99 R6 and 30K miles, much on the track and not one issue ever! But after one ride on the D675R I'll never go back.

#16 · (Edited)
All the same problems w/my '13 D675R as all mentioned, but no issue w/the Exup (yet!!). Also loose bolts EVERYWHERE, some not much more then hand tight, 2 fell out luckily non-critical. Been awesome otherwise and a dream on the track!

Is your tube pic of the OEM D675R a '13? I measured mine at 72 degrees of rotation which seems to me the same as a 1050 tube. 13 years on a '99 R6 and 30K miles, much on the track and not one issue ever! But after one ride on the D675R I'll never go back.
That sucks with the loose hardware. Don't think any of mine were loose, but did have some hardware marred (to include a bleeder nipple on one of the front calipers).

Edit: The OEM D675 throttle tube in my pic was bought off eBay which was said to be off a 2013. I recently installed the 1050 throttle tube and can now confirm the throttle tube in my pic is off a '13. The 1050 tube is much better than the stock tube and is a good compromise to getting a quick turn throttle.

#17 ·
Here is my issue and it really sucks!

1. riding this weekend and instrument cluster went dead with the exception of the abs light
2. afterwards, the bike stopped running
3. checked voltage on the battery and it was dropping (possible short somewhere?)

Keep in mind, my '13 675R is not even a year old and 2,500 miles on the clock.

4. I let it sit for a 1 hour, wouldn't start. charged it (bike is on a constant batt tender when not in use); it started and left on for a good 15 minutes with constant rev to 5500 rpm. turned it off and it did wanna start anymore.
5. Exup cables
6. CEL goes on and off when it wants to
7. Gauge cluster reads "0" miles for fuel when there is a full tank of gas.
8. left it alone for a day, now it starts.

I want to ride it, but now i don't trust it.

WTF is wrong with my beloved 675R????

#18 ·
Here is my issue and it really sucks!

1. riding this weekend and instrument cluster went dead with the exception of the abs light
2. afterwards, the bike stopped running
3. checked voltage on the battery and it was dropping (possible short somewhere?)

Keep in mind, my '13 675R is not even a year old and 2,500 miles on the clock.

4. I let it sit for a 1 hour, wouldn't start. charged it (bike is on a constant batt tender when not in use); it started and left on for a good 15 minutes with constant rev to 5500 rpm. turned it off and it did wanna start anymore.
5. Exup cables
6. CEL goes on and off when it wants to
7. Gauge cluster reads "0" miles for fuel when there is a full tank of gas.
8. left it alone for a day, now it starts.

I want to ride it, but now i don't trust it.

WTF is wrong with my beloved 675R????
1) dafuq?
2) well if 1 happened then I can see why 2 happened
3) possible short or bad battery/stator
4) I wouldn't keep it on a tender ALL of the time.
5) remove the exup
6) possibly reading the exup cables correctly one time and incorrectly another.
7) usually takes a minute to reset but lift the tank and check the electrical connections. Maybe the short is in this wire?
8 ) it doesn't like starting under pressure lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#19 ·
***EDIT: My bad, just realized this was for Dayona's not Street Triples. Feel free to ignore this, you won't hurt my feelings.
...Dammit Spurly, there you go again drinking and reading...

2014 Street Triple R (1800 miles)
In order of occurrence:

1. Right headlight developed hot spot, ultimately warped lens and started to crack (800 miles) ... fixed

2. Throttle cable turnbuckle broke, noticed extra play in throttle and pulled back rubber boot to reveal a broken turnbuckle. (800 miles) ... fixed

3. Possible clutch slipping after long rides, after several hours of riding bike will start to slip leaving a red light and on occasion from 1st to 2nd (1000 miles) ...monitoring

4. Exhaust leak on arrow slip on, noticed carbon build up on side of exhaust can. sprayed with soapy water only to find a 1 inch leak from the riveted band (1500 miles) ... parts on order

5. Oil everywhere on underside of engine, no idea how I didn't notice sooner but appears to be just numerous loose bolts (1500 miles) ... fixed and monitoring

And can someone explain Exup? I have to many lingos, appreviations, and jargon in my head to know what this stands for. I'm sure it will hit me like a freight train when I read it.

#21 ·
***EDIT: My bad, just realized this was for Dayona's not Street Triples. Feel free to ignore this, you won't hurt my feelings.
...Dammit Spurly, there you go again drinking and reading...

2014 Street Triple R (1800 miles)
In order of occurrence:

1. Right headlight developed hot spot, ultimately warped lens and started to crack (800 miles) ... fixed

2. Throttle cable turnbuckle broke, noticed extra play in throttle and pulled back rubber boot to reveal a broken turnbuckle. (800 miles) ... fixed

3. Possible clutch slipping after long rides, after several hours of riding bike will start to slip leaving a red light and on occasion from 1st to 2nd (1000 miles) ...monitoring

4. Exhaust leak on arrow slip on, noticed carbon build up on side of exhaust can. sprayed with soapy water only to find a 1 inch leak from the riveted band (1500 miles) ... parts on order

5. Oil everywhere on underside of engine, no idea how I didn't notice sooner but appears to be just numerous loose bolts (1500 miles) ... fixed and monitoring

And can someone explain Exup? I have to many lingos, appreviations, and jargon in my head to know what this stands for. I'm sure it will hit me like a freight train when I read it.
EXUP = Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve. It is a little valve inside your exhaust pipe (on the 13+ Daytona's you can see it by shining a light down the pipe and looking) that controls the pressure inside the exhaust pipe. It helps with low end torque and to make the bike run smoothly.

People pull them out or simply remove the servo motor (check my build thread for a how to) so that they can get increased exhaust airflow, more noise, and to prepare the bike for an aftermarket pipe that does not accept an EXUP valve.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_power_valve_system

#26 ·
With the pivot plate going out, is there any indication or symptom to look/feel for. My shifting seems fine but is that the only way to tell if the unit has gone bad?

Reactions: 58857
#28 ·
Nice thread topic. I didn't even consider common issues with the 675r and will keep an eye out for stuff. I haven't noticed any leaking or issues with the bike... albeit I am a novice when it comes to knowing what to look, feel, listen for.

With that said, I will be bringing in the bike to the dealers for the 500 mile maintenance. I'll post any issues they find... I imagine they'd be aware of anything and do a full check on the bike.

What do people typically find is the cost for this first maintenance?

#31 ·
Nice thread topic. I didn't even consider common issues with the 675r and will keep an eye out for stuff. I haven't noticed any leaking or issues with the bike... albeit I am a novice when it comes to knowing what to look, feel, listen for.

With that said, I will be bringing in the bike to the dealers for the 500 mile maintenance. I'll post any issues they find... I imagine they'd be aware of anything and do a full check on the bike.

What do people typically find is the cost for this first maintenance?
I paid around $270 for my first service on the 675R. I know it is a rip off and all but I like them to do it so when I go to sell the bike or do a warranty job I can show that all of the service was done at the dealer.

#37 ·
Got my first service for free :)

#40 ·
on my 675R at around 200 miles had the CEL come on (EXUP) and shortly after noticed radiator fluid leaking. Took it back a second time for the rad issue and they tightened. Wife's bike she rode 2 miles from the dealer and started spraying brake fluid. Turned out cap wouldn't close due to "machining issue" and plastic messing up the threads. Dealer picked it up and fixed. We'll see if paint or anything gets screwed up by it.

#45 ·
I just got an interesting email from Si at UK racing Support.

It has been a common problem and back in Feb of this year Triumph gave us some new parts to try. These past with flying colours and are now available from Triumph. The part number is the same and so long as your dealer hasn't had one on the shelf all year you will get the new pivot plate. You also need to put 2 washers in (item #8 (T3551062) below) to add pre-load to the mechanism.
So if this is correct, Triumph did update the pivot plate and they added an extra washer in to give the pivot plate more pre-load. So the pre-load has been wrong the entire time as well.

Attachments

#48 ·
I just got an interesting email from Si at UK racing Support.

So if this is correct, Triumph did update the pivot plate and they added an extra washer in to give the pivot plate more pre-load. So the pre-load has been wrong the entire time as well.
Very interesting find. I wonder if some of our 2014 bikes already have this fix implemented.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.