Triumph 675 Forums banner

Stumped on overheating 2011

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Snowman1985 
#1 ·
I gotta throw my hands in the air here... In chronological order:
Purchased used 4 months ago. Bike has only 10k miles and runs very well. Gradually started running hotter and hotter, and the heat from the frame was getting quite uncomfortable (and unacceptable). No boiling, just HOT.
Fan kicks on and off properly. I can monitor the ECT sensor using my auto obdII tool. Gauge is not glitchy, has one bar at startup at about 80 degrees and steadily rises to 6-7. Highway speeds on a 80's degree day rarely bring it below 6 bars (newer cluster) and the frame heat is unbearable.

I own a 2007 also so I do have something to compare it to, which never runs too hot.

1. I noticed deposits in the reservoir so I did a 3 step flush and new antifreeze. No improvement.

2. Switched to Engine Ice. No change.

3. Replaced cap just because it's easy and cheap. No change.

4. Replaced thermostat. No change.

5. Officially overheated in 90's degrees in traffic. Let it cool and rode it home.

6. Replaced water pump. I thought maybe the impeller wasn't spinning on the shaft. No change. While it was apart I blew through all the hoses, the radiator, and I inspected everything visually very well. No hints of blockage.

Needless to say I'm quite stumped. Any suggestions on what I may be overlooking? Next would be a pressure test and a HC test (to check for hydrocarbons/bad head gasket).

See less See more
#2 ·
So I pressure tested the cap and it wasn't opening. So I bought a new one again and it didn't make any difference. I went ahead and swapped radiators also since I have the other bike. NO DIFFERENCE. I have no damn clue what is going on, but it's very frustrating.

#3 ·
I had this issue my last round racing at Chuckwalla. Air temps exceeded 100 degrees and no matter what I did the bike continued to blow coolant out of the overflow.

The only thing I could think of was pulling the thermostat. Well it worked and the bike doesn't take much longer to heat up so it is staying like that.

I wish I had a better solution for you, however, that is the ONLY thing that worked for me.

#4 ·
I have been skeptical to do that, because I have heard that the coolant flows too quickly, not absorbing the heat and transferring it. But I'm willing to try it to see if it affects anything.

I have considered that the heat is being caused by a lean condition, and also possibly the Two Brothers exhaust doesn't retain the undertail heat shield. But the heat is all centralized and creating an unacceptably hot frame and temps way too hot for our current 60's mornings. I have gotten heat rash from a simple commute from work. It's ridiculous...

#5 ·
The thermostat is usually one of the first items to go on a track bike which is primarily where my bike spends it's time. My bike still made it up to normally operating temperature and the fan even kicked on to keep temps in check. The bike behaved as it did before the overheating issues began.

Worst case just throw it back in should you decide to try it as it was fairly easy to remove. I removed it at 2am on a race weekend after a handfull of beers. My buddy with a 14' Ninja 636 was pissed because we had to remove his thermostat too and his was way more difficult to get done.

#6 ·
I'll give it a shot man. Nothing to lose but an hour or two. Done it before. I may put regular antifreeze back in it also just because who knows why.

One red flag to note: When I drain the coolant with the cap ON, it pours out freely. Like a little too freely. I'll drain it again with the new cap on it and see if there is a difference.
A system pressure test would have helped, but there was not an adapter that would fit the radiator in the kit I rented.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

#7 ·
I have been having the same issue with my '11 recently (past season). It ran at 5-6 bars since I bought it in 2012 and now it's always at 6-7 bars, spews coolant into the overflow, and gets pretty damn hot to sit on. I tried the cap, thermostat and coolant flush too with no change.
Sub'd for the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.