Triumph 675 Forums banner

Fuel pump issues

7K views 41 replies 3 participants last post by  Tyler Strop 
#1 ·
Ok guys NOW my fuel pump won't prime to start the bike . Checked the relay on left side for the fuel pump and this is what I have come up with . All wires are getting 12v when ignition is on and kill switch on . However the center wire PURPLE/WHITE I get nothing . I ground it out using a Power Probe and the fuel pump runs constantly and the bike starts up, when ground is released the fuel pump stops and bike dies . Have traced the wire and it goes to the BROWN connector on the fuel pump . Any clue as to what's going on ? IF I put power to the wire it blows a fuse in the fuse panel , ground it pump runs constant and bike starts , unground bike dies as does the pump

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The Black/Purple needs to go to 0V in order to turn on the relay and connect power on the Purple/White to the pump;
that is controlled by the ECU which is a transistor that turns on to provide that current path to ground;
when the ignition is first turned on (or if the Kill switch is set to Kill, then back on again) it SHOULD go to 0V for 3 secs which is the prime step.
THEN it turns OFF!
So you will only be able to measure 12V between the Green/Red and Black/Purple for that 3 second window;
again, to get a new 3 second window you need to turn Kill to Kill and back to Run.
Subsequently the Black/Purple will again go to 0V when the engine is rotating and producing crank sensor pulses.

If you do not get that Black/Purple going low in the three second window, you have fundamental interlock
I looked at your previous thread and saw you replaced harness and ECU
Do you have the Neutral & Oil Light indicators lit?
Is the Side-Stand Switch connected?
Have you tried with the side-stand UP?
Is the Fall Detect Switch installed and connected and it is orientated correctly? (this is my prime suspicion as to the problem)

#4 ·
Thnx for the reply !! Ok ....on the gauge cluster it is showing Oil Natural and Engine light , kick stand switch is hooked up and tried with the stand up and still no fuel pump action . The TPS (tip over sensor ) is in sitting UP (sideways) temporarily sitting as seen in picture obviously because the bike is tore down . I have a cable coming for the ECU to see what the fault codes are as when I do start the bike the check engine stays solid so I'm guessing it does have codes . Also the servo under the right brake keeps running but I believe from what I read isn't a huge deal as it does have a full Arrow Exhaust on it so isn't hooked up to this exhaust and the emissions cable is hanging there as well

Attachments

#8 ·
Sorry - fall detect switch orientation looks correct

You mentioned in other thread replacing ECU - what map is running on the one you have installed?
Can you connect TuneECU?
If so clear the current codes then turn off ignition and back on and report any that re-appear.

#10 ·
All I have to say is HOLY SH@T !! There were 9 codes . Cleared them and did a reset to the bike and Tune ECU . Here are the 9 which were there and now only 3 stayed

The 9
P0031-Oxygen sensor heater short
P0108- Map Sensor
P0113- inlet air temp sensor
P1079- exhaust control valve
P1080- exhaust control actuator
P1628- Fuel Pump circut to ground
P1632- Fall detection
P1670- intake flap
P1685- EMS main relay

Now after clearing them these 3 remain

P1628- Fuel Pump circut to ground
P1079- exhaust control valve
P1080- exhaust control actuator

I have to laugh because I never expected that but .....hopwfully that sheds light on somwthing that's going on ?

#11 · (Edited)
Note that the P1628 error is circuit to Ground OR open circuit
And also that error applies to the connection that goes directly to the pump - with no relay fitted

I suspect you have a mismatch between your harness and the hardware and the map it is running

Up to serial 300525, there is no relay and pump connection is from B36 on ECU

From 300526 to 323544 there is connection from B36 to the relay coil negative (85)

From 323545 to 381274 the relay connection is to pin B29!

So start by checking which pin your Black/Purple wire goes to, B29 or B36 and also which map you are running
I suspect you may have the later harness but are running earlier generation map.

For the Exhaust Valve errors, you may just have bad exhaust valve - you can uncheck that option in the map and disconnect it if you choose.

#17 ·
That is an obsolete down-rev map - From VIN # 294378 to VIN # 323544 - stock exhaust

The 20954 I have downloaded says it's not compatible with the ECU
That one is definitely not for your configuration, for later generation

Willing to bet you have harness for From VIN # 323545 to VIN # 381274 (with the B29 output)

If you DO have that generation harness, then with that map 20135 installed, it would indeed post a P1628 error which is Fuel circuit to Ground OR open circuit - the latter part being the case here

So what you would need is map 20421 (which is the correct one for that generation and for Full Arrow Exhaust if that's what you have.)

But again - just inspect the harness to see which pin the Black/Purple is on at the ECU and that will confirm it!
Did you buy harness used or was it new? If new, what was the part number?

#18 ·
Bought it used. I will check the pin out today after work man . Thanks for everything ...there is absolutely no way I would have been able to figure this out . I have NEVER had issues with a bike like this before as I have purchased wrecked bike numerous times and rebuilt them and this one here has been NOTHING short of a challenge! Will update this evening !

#20 ·
D'ecosse where is there purple/black your talking to to from the ECU? The fuel pump relay ? Read reading your prior posts you were saying the purple/black under the purple/white on my relay allows it to ground causing it to prime then cut a the power correct ? If so that wire is black/silver

#24 ·
Cleared the faults and now have these codes

P0031-oxygen sensor heater short/open ground

P0113 -Inlet air temp sensor open circuit or short to battery

P1080- exhaust control valve actuator circut malfunction

P1628- Fuel Pump short circuit to ground or open circuit
P1628

#27 · (Edited)
OK sorry mate - let me back up a bit - that was a miscue on the 20418 on my part

So - you have later gen harness with the B29 connection to the ECU
BUT you have ECU/Map for the EARLY series (from both the obsolete map 20135 and the 20418)

Look again at the map Serial ranges -

- The maps for Serial Number Ranges up to VIN # 323544 all use B36 as the Fuel Pump output.
- But maps for Serial Number Ranges From VIN # 323545 to VIN # 381274 all use B29 as the Fuel Pump output

Your Harness uses B29 for the Black/Purple wire therefor you MUST use a map from that later config.
That would be 20421

But you say 20421 is not compatible with your ECU
Therefor your ECU does not match the generation of harness you are using.

I see from earlier thread that you also replaced the ECU - have you tried the original ECU? (since you said at least the harness seems to be same as the one you have in now?)
You can try that to see if takes 20421
If it does not, then perhaps that was not the original ECU either!

If that other ECU does not take that map either, your options are to either replace the harness (again!) or replace the ECU

Please post pics of the labels on the 2 ECU you have ...
I believe the one you need should have 1293100 on the Keihin Label

You could also note which tune is on the Triumph label for each ECU
For example this one below has tune 20152 and the 1293100 Keihin part number - both of those indicate it is from a 323545 to 381274 compatible ECU/Harness

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.