Triumph 675 Forums banner

Daytona got up to 9 bars today in traffic

8K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Bmore 
#1 ·
I was doing some city riding today and I noticed that my bike got up to nine bars! It was about 105 degrees outside with cars all around me. When I would ride the bars would quickly drop down to 5-6; however, I never seen it so high. Usually during traffic the bike would get up to 8 bars, which is normal to me. Coolant is fresh and I am sure that there is no air in the lines. Is this normal? The temperature gauge did not blink and the overheat light did not illuminate. I read the manual and it stated that it should be blinking at 9 bars... which is weird because I definitely stared it at for a good 2minutes.

#2 ·
If nothing was blinking or warning you you're good

#3 ·
If it is super hot outside, your bike is going to run hotter. It becomes more difficult for the radiator to exchange heat with the surrounding air, the closer ambient temperature gets to coolant temperature. I have been riding around Phoenix for a bit and my bike has registered basically maximum temperature a number of times with no issues to date... I don't like riding around in Phoenix traffic.

#4 ·
Thanks for the posts, that makes me feel a lot better. I found this post:

"Anyway in my tinkerings with the bike I recorded the following temperatures (via TuneECU software) of what the actual temperature reading was in relation the bars shown on the instruments. The earlier bikes have ten bars in all.

These are the temperatures at each bar display:

3 bars = 50c
4 bars = 58c
5 bars = 65c
6 bars = 94c
7 bars = 105c

If so, this does not seem much hotter than my 600RR for comparison. The Honda would get up to 225 degrees F in stop and go traffic in Phoenix summers. The highest i've seen my 675R is 6 bars at which point the fan starts. It will only drop back down to 5 bars after i've been cruising for some time."

My old zx6r would usually stop at 220 degrees with the fan on. According to this post, the Daytona is running hotter then the zx6r at 7 bars.. Has anyone got the temperature read at 8-9 bars?

#5 ·
My '13 Daytona has 8 bars total and the manual states that 3-5 is normal temp. I rarely see it that low, 5-6 on cool days and 6-7 on hot days (>90F) is more like it. When stopped on a +90F day it will get to all 8 bars, but I have yet to get and warning signals. Where it really goes up is on a hot day and I stop at the bottom of the hill to get my mail (bike running) and then the 300' climb in 1 mi. slowly up a funky dirt road. by the time I get home it is often at 8 bars. I'll measure temp one of these days at 8 bars and let you all know.

On the track it seems happiest with the abundant air flow and running 4-6 bars.

#13 ·
That is not normal. In 106deg bumper to bumper traffic for over an hr my '14 never exceeded 6 bars (which is where it normally sits if not moving). Once the fan came on it would hold it at 6 bars. Between 5 and 6 is what seems to be acceptable range. Running factory coolant with 1.5 yrs and 5200miles on it. Same goes for the OP I can't imagine that is normal or OK. If it gets that hot I would try and pull over to let it cool personally. If mine were to ever reach 7 bars I would probably pull over.

#10 ·
Thats for the overflow reservoir. Replace those shitty platics elbows with brass ones from a home depot.

This doesn't have an effect on the temp of the bike though. You would just leak coolant when the coolant expands and leaks out those broken elbows

#11 · (Edited)
Thats for the overflow reservoir. Replace those shitty platics elbows with brass ones from a home depot.

This doesn't have an effect on the temp of the bike though. You would just leak coolant when the coolant expands and leaks out those broken elbows
Okay, so I found the broken elbow. The elbow furthest to the right is broken. This elbow is connected to a black rubber hose that falls into the coolant. If this elbow is broken, does this mean that the coolant cannot get into the radiator when it's needed? I looked at the radiator today and it is half way empty. I drained all of the oil fluid and syphoned the coolant out of the overflow tank.

I added Prestone 50/50 mix into the overflow tank and topped off the radiator. I need to order some parts so I can replace the broken elbow. Since this elbow is broken, will it cause the bike to run hot?

I don't understand that the overflow tank does. Isn't the radiator suppose to take coolant from the overflow tank?

#14 · (Edited)
I do not believe its normal either. To solve the problem, I flushed the radiator, replaced the piping, burped the system, and added prestone 50/50. Then I took the bike out for a spin in 93 degree weather, intentionally sat in traffic, and let it idle for 5 minutes. The bike would not exceed 7 bars (3 away from max). According to the temperature gauge that someone posted, 7 bars is about 221 degrees which is normal compared to my other Japanese bikes. My 2005 zx6r and 2001 f4i would not exceed 225 degrees in the same conditions. I bet 9 bars in traffic is about 235 degrees, I'm so glad the warning light did not come on.

#21 ·
I'm dealing with the same issue on my 2011. 6 bars all day, and 7 has begun more often in traffic, and it's only in the 90's!! I have the newer cluster (8 bars max). The frame gets hot as ***k. My 07 NEVER ran this hot. It will literally leave the inside of my thighs red. My first step is to install a temp gauge to see what is really going on and proceed diagnosis from there.
Also, I found sediment in my reservoir so I did a flush and installed engine ice instead. No notable difference.
I'll be installing the gauge sending unit into the bleeder screw port so some custom fab will be required, so maybe a week or two and I'll post back to see what real world numbers are on the new gauge cluster.

#22 ·
I flushed the coolant at the beginning of summer every year for the 675. twice I pulled out coolant that had chemically broken down, which is never good. Coolant is cheap, flushing the 675 system is easy as well.

#23 ·
For you guys planning on filling up your cooling systems with distilled water or a mix with d.w. and "water weter" I'd suggest reading through this:

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48418

I'ts 14 pages of comments... so if you want the short version, here it is: prolonged use of distilled water or a mix with it and water weter causes corrosion inside the heat exchanger which eventually leads to failure of the exchanger. Or at least that was happening to the pre 13+ bikes.

My experience tells me that the bike shows 5 bars when cruising and 6 bars when in traffic, or when pushing in tight twisties. That is true even in high ambient temps so I know that if it ever goes to the 7th bar something's wrong with the cooling system or the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.