Triumph 675 Forums banner

Upgade 2007 or get 2012 675R?

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  TRMN8TR 
#1 · (Edited)
Edited my long-winded post to say this:

Your bike is a 2007 Daytona, 6500 miles, mostly stock, in race trim. You're getting more serious about racing. Would you:

A. Spend $3000 on a bike worth ~$4000 to upgrade suspension and a few other components -or-
B. Sell 2007 and get a 2012 675R that already has the stuff on it.

I feel like if I find a 675R for a decent price and sell off all the street fairings, etc the price would be similar to maybe slightly more. Which is the best option? What would you all do?

#2 ·
For racing, option A.

Mostly because if you dump it badly it'll be cheaper to fix. If you have to replace a fork on a 675R they're $2200 each. Plus you've come to love your current engine after all it's been through for you, haha.

#3 ·
The other part of the reason I'm considering an R is because of what you just said. My engine and all its been through. The bike has about 3500 street miles and 3000 track miles.

How long will a 675 last before needing a rebuild under racing conditions? I treat her well, with an oil change after every race weekend or every other track weekend. I also like the idea of having a bike 5 years newer. If you can't tell, I'm leaning more towards the 675R option.

#5 ·
In that case, go for the option that you know you won't regret and get a 675R. I mean heck, may as well save up a tad more and get a 2013. Only tradeoff with that is there might not be an immediate demand for fairings and whatnot.

#7 ·
I'd be to worried about hurting (crashing) a brand new toy to actually use it like I should.

At least that's my excuse why I'm still slow. I wouldn't feel bad pushing a lesser valued bike further. That's my twisted view though. :laugh:

If it doesn't bother you, I'd choose the fresher, newer 675r.

#8 ·
My days of worrying about keeping the bike shiny and new are long gone. I learned that back in 08 when I laid my 07 down on the street. It's been an ugly track whore ever since.

I realize at any moment on the track my bike could be come a disposable piece of scrap metal. I also am super happy I decided on a more realistic house when I bought one, leaving much more of my income available for toys and racing, lol.

#10 ·
I swapped my stock 07 for a 12 R. There were some hard goodbyes, but it's done and it came with more than I ever would have done to my 07.

I have found that there are far fewer headaches and long nights when the bike has most of what you want from the factory. For whatever reason, mod projects always seem to make me sweat and want to punch something before I'm finished. Going straight to the D675R prevented a lot of frustration, but bought me into a monthly payment.

#11 ·
Well I didnt wait long to make a decision! :laugh: I kinda knew what I wanted to do, and didn't hear any reason not to.

I think this deal was too good to pass up. I've been talking to this this guy all week and just gave a deposit on this bike. It'll have the stock wheels and not the magnesium wheels on it in the pics. Those weren't included at that price, dang it! But here she is:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/3408771348.html

My parents live in Florida so they'll be picking it up for me. Then I'll grab it in March when I head down to Jennings for a "help get over the winter boredom" trackday.]U][/U]

#12 ·
well i didnt wait long to make a decision! :laugh: I kinda knew what i wanted to do, and didn't hear any reason not to.

I think this deal was too good to pass up. I've been talking to this this guy all week and just gave a deposit on this bike. It'll have the stock wheels and not the magnesium wheels on it in the pics. Those weren't included at that price, dang it! But here she is:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/3408771348.html

my parents live in florida so they'll be picking it up for me. Then i'll grab it in march when i head down to jennings for a "help get over the winter boredom" trackday.]u][/u]
yess!!!! Ready for jennings!

#15 ·
Yeah... And that slip on isn't supposed to be compatible with 09+ 675s. Plus dat mismatched tail light and turn signals.

Look over the bike carefully, but otherwise seems like a good deal.

#20 ·
Slightly more power + Better Suspension + Better Brakes + Lighter wheels = :thumbup:, You are already in the green if you sell your bike. It would have probably cost you the same or more to get the 07 to R specs. Congrats on the new bike!

#21 ·
Ya I will make sure to tell him to do a good check out before handing over the $$. Comparing VIN's is another important thing to check out.

One thing that does make me feel better, the guy claimed that Brad Stokes of Ohlins revalved the forks on the bike. I called Brad (who was surprisingly easy to get ahold of) and he confirmed the work was done. Said he knew the seller and he is a reputable guy.

#28 ·
My bad not throttle bodies but velocity stacks? The the things inside the air box.... those were changed yes?

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
No you got it. 2009+ Daytonas have different velocity stacks. They are also the same ones on the new 2013 Daytona.

#29 ·
For those worried about the Ohlins forks in a crash, you can purchased the fork bottoms from Ohlins. Maybe $300 each, something like that.

Overall, they are a beefier fork and should hold up better than the stock forks. But still, they have their limits like everything else.

If you're serious about a 675R for track use, ALWAYS buy used. Just pushing that thing off the showroom floor saves you two grand. Find someone who's knocked one over, save another two grand.

I know people like to start off with a factory fresh race bike, but man, that's a lot of depreciation $$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.