Triumph 675 Forums banner

2013 Daytona 675 & 675R first look

22K views 142 replies 70 participants last post by  TRMN8TR 
#1 ·
#78 ·
Another consider for the under the tail pipe is that in the event you crash, the exhaust will probably come away unscathed. With the GP style exhaust, you are going to trash the muffler if the bike hits or lands on the right side. Believe me, I am speaking from experience. I crashed my 675 4 times this in seasons and the pipe was fine in all cases - I have the Arrow full exhaust. 2 of the crashes happened at pretty fast speeds - one resulting in me tearing my whole knee apart (I lowsided, got caught under the bike with foot still on peg. Bike hit curbing, flipped in air and took me with it) The other crash was a super fast lowside (like 110 mph) resulting in my Aplinestars Air Bag suit going off and a crushed gas tank.

I see R6's crash all the time at the track and the exhausts are almost always trashed afterwards.

#83 ·
Logan, I understand, but I've had bikes with reflectors that were better than the stock bulbs in the Daytona. You had to install an HID kit, so that says something. Besides, it seems like most people are objecting to the aesthetic aspect, not the performance aspect.

I think there's probably a little rationalization going on from all.of us, too. It's easier to be happy with the old bike if the new one doesn't improve on it in a significant area, in this case, aesthetics.

Could it be that some part of us was secretly relieved to see that the new bike isn't as good in some respect as the ones we already own? I think it's very possible.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#84 ·
Absolutely, all I ever heard about the projector style lights on the 2012's was how bad they sucked and that you had to upgrade them to HID.

I like the new model. I'm not yet invested, so am glad there is something new to choose from. Still planning on getting a new 675R as soon as I have enough pennies saved up.

#91 ·
I like the new model. I'm not yet invested, so am glad there is something new to choose from. Still planning on getting a new 675R as soon as I have enough pennies saved up.
Ditto. Not ready now, so a '13 model will make me happy...
I just called my local dealer, and he has a 12 D675R for $10,999. :1banghead:

#88 ·
I don't think it looks that bad... Guess it depends on whether you value style over performance.

#89 ·
I think it was time for a change. The new model hasn't grown on me yet but we will see. I don't care for the sub frame, it looks fat. I also understand the purpose of a low side exhaust, mass centralization and weight loss but... I still love the under tail exhaust, roasted nuts and all. Do I want one? Duh! Of course I do! But I will say I like the look of my '09 better. But I also like the looks of old Stingrays, Broncos, and pick-ups more than the new stuff. Just my .02

#90 ·
My opinion:

Pros:
- Slipper Clutch
- New Engine (Bit more power/torque)
- Lighter (Rims, frame, misc)
- Better computer system

Middle:
- ABS (Pro if you can turn it off, Con if you can't, nice to have for street riding)

Cons:
- Hate the design
- No Projectors
- Hate the low mount exhaust (I know, lower center of gravity...don't care, I ride just fine with an undertail exhaust)
- Looks like a Ninja 650R...I know because I have one. lol

End result: Would make a great track bike. lol

#93 ·
Some French vids:

Like others said, I think this thing is going to look sweet in person. I sold an 09 Daytona to buy an 08 Street Triple, and am thinking I might have to add a 2013 Daytona R to the garage next year. Seriously considering this bike or the new Kawi 636 as a track bike. In a couple years, Ducati might get its 799 out and a whole new wrench will be thrown in. Exciting times for the Supersport class.

#94 ·
Just noticed in that second vid, the red subframe on the R appears to be a matte powdercoat job. Looks awesome contrasting with the gloss white paint. The new looks are growing on me big time.

From the spec sheet alone, slipper clutch, new engine castings, valves, etc, this bike might be a really nice jump above the 2012 model. I dunno, pretty stoked after seeing the vids. Like I said, this new model is perkin up.

#95 ·
I'm a track junky/racer, so I love all the updates. I'd pick one up now, but doing so would require selling my current race bike. There needs to be more of an aftermarket for things like race bodywork, rearsets, etc before I do that.

For the casual trackday rider, the removable rear plate/turn signals is pretty cool. They stole that idea off the KTM RC8. 3 screws and you're good to go.

The entire direction they went with the 2013 is all geared to track riding and racing. Isn't that what this bike is made for? If you're a street only rider do yourself a favor and just get a street triple. Once the cool factor of having a "crotch rocket" wears off, you'll be stuck with a bike with shitty ergonomics that weren't designed for the street.

#110 ·
I'm a track junky/racer, so I love all the updates. I'd pick one up now, but doing so would require selling my current race bike. There needs to be more of an aftermarket for things like race bodywork, rearsets, etc before I do that.

For the casual trackday rider, the removable rear plate/turn signals is pretty cool. They stole that idea off the KTM RC8. 3 screws and you're good to go.

The entire direction they went with the 2013 is all geared to track riding and racing. Isn't that what this bike is made for? If you're a street only rider do yourself a favor and just get a street triple. Once the cool factor of having a "crotch rocket" wears off, you'll be stuck with a bike with shitty ergonomics that weren't designed for the street.
Totally agree after my 100 mile ride today and then seeing my buddy pull up on a speed triple I wish they had the street triple r at the time

#96 ·
Also notice that the seemingly bulbous front end that we all hated in the studio profile shots is a bit of an optical illusion. That line is created by the two ridges that run over the top fairing and down towards the headlights.

In the videos, where I think you get a better sense of what it looks like in three dimensions, it's not quite so objectionable. Your eye can pick up more of the subtlety, in this case, the main line of the nose.

It's not always easy to capture something like a motorcycle in a 2D image.

I'm also a big believer in seat cowls. So even if the bike is a bit homely, adding one usually helps. It did wonders for my '02 D955i (not a pretty bike).

I think the sub frame looks better in the vids, too.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#99 · (Edited)
While I commend Triumph for the technical upgrades I thought wouldn't happen, the aesthetics still look dodgy, as I think there's no excuse for this exhaust. Exhausts being mainly hollow tubes, I doubt they affect mass centralization that much, and as it's been said, that'll be costly, especially if the exhaust bangs the swingarm in a crash.

ABS can be useful on the track, because some people actually ride tracks in the rain, ya know... I'm curious as to how the rear wheel slippage it's supposed to allow will affect the whole thing. And nobody said it'd save you when trailbraking on ice.

I hope this all translates well when they're back in WSS.

#102 ·
There's about 20lbs of weight up high with the exhaust under the tail. There's about 10lbs extra weight period with the added pipe going to the back of the bike. On a bike that weights 400lbs read to ride these are big percentages of the overal. weight. Ideally the exahust would come out just above the swingarm inline with the center of gravity which is the point about which the bike rotates when you turn. Getting the weight too low can be as bad as getting it too high but the high muffler is definitely nothing but an aesthetic piece. One that I hate Ducati for. Personally I don't want a bike that copies Ducati for any reason. Appearance doesn't make reliability.

The video really sold me. I can see why the front looked funny from the profile view now. Now that I know what the issue was I really really like it.

#100 ·
Triumph created the wonderful 675cc triple to compete in the 600 CC middleweight class and MV Agusta has recently joined the fray.
there are rumours that Yamaha may be next and will produce an in-line 3 in the near future. Maybe the 013 triumph new look is to stake its territory and pre-empt whatever the Japanese may design - i.e., lower side mount exhaust.

#108 ·
I delt with the 675 issues in 07. Its really kind of funny, mine has the same rake and trail as the new model, exhaust, etc
What forks are those? Haven't seen them before.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Motorcycle.com App

#106 ·
Another quick comment about the new subframe. I noticed big changes to where the subframe bolts to the main frame. Specifically 2 more bolts and mounting points for a total of 6 now vs. 4. This was always a weak spot on the old frames. I've parted out several wrecked Daytonas and all of them that had any impact at all to the subframe broke off the tabs on the main frame. Again, to a street rider probably not a big deal. If the bike takes a subframe hit like that its probably considered totalled by your insurance either way. I don't have collision insurance on the race bike though, so it would be nice if the frame held up in a crash, lol.

#111 ·
I guess I was doing a little bit of assuming, that there is a 3rd location somewhere in the seat/tank area like there is on the older models. Here's a pic to see what i was talking about.

At the least, they have 2 solid mounting locations directly to the frame, instead of 1 on the frame and the second on that little post that sticks up.

You can see there is only 1 bolt to the main beam of the frame, and the second on the little post that sticks up. Also where the gas tank bolts to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.