Transition to "race shift" pattern ? - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 20 Old 04-17-17, 17:01 Thread Starter
-LG-

Transition to "race shift" pattern ?

Hi all,

Am about to convert my bikes over to race shift pattern. I don't ride road and race shift just makes sense.

I'm looking to hear from the guys who run race shift and how you found the transition from road pattern to race pattern?

I'm guessing it will take some getting used to. Have been running road shift for so many years.

Are there any horror stories? false downshifts at redline etc because you forgot about raceshift?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-17-17, 17:54
ShaLaMae

There isn't any difference it's only alternate linkage leverage. First gear to N to second doses not change the way the transmission engages. It only changes the shift pattern that YOU use. I can use either but do prefer GP due to coming out of a turn at lean and tacking out and need to shift to a higher gear. It's easier to have the ball of your foot "dancing on the peg" and pushing your toe down to higher gear, than having your foot in a standard shift pattern. It's about you personal preference.
You do need to have the linkages lined up correctly for optimal performance.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-17-17, 18:13
MGFChapin

Garage
It's funny, I know more racers that run a standard shift pattern than a race pattern, and that includes plenty of guys who are faster than me. I made the switch mentally a few months before I did physically, primarily due to long right-handers where I was wishing I could upshift easier while leant over and hanging off.

I love it and it didn't take any getting used to at all. When I hop on my track bike, I'm so familiar with its feel that I'm instantly in "reverse shift" mode. Likewise, when I hop on my street bike, I'm instantly in "road shift" mode. I've swapped multiple bikes at the track in the same day and never had an issue; I think you'll find it easier than you think. Put a sticker somewhere easily visible that says RACE SHIFT and you'll adapt in no time. If not, you can always go back.

I've heard the horror stories too but I have yet to see or experience one firsthand. I'm more likely to mistakenly upshift than vice versa.

post #4 of 20 Old 04-18-17, 01:42
Shamrock

Literally took me 10 minutes. Sure there might be a wrong shift or 2, but not if you make a conscious effort. After 6 months you'll use it telepathically, just like brakes stop you.

And really there is only 1 way to find out. Just do it.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-18-17, 01:46 Thread Starter
-LG-
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
It's funny, I know more racers that run a standard shift pattern than a race pattern, and that includes plenty of guys who are faster than me. I made the switch mentally a few months before I did physically, primarily due to long right-handers where I was wishing I could upshift easier while leant over and hanging off.

I love it and it didn't take any getting used to at all. When I hop on my track bike, I'm so familiar with its feel that I'm instantly in "reverse shift" mode. Likewise, when I hop on my street bike, I'm instantly in "road shift" mode. I've swapped multiple bikes at the track in the same day and never had an issue; I think you'll find it easier than you think. Put a sticker somewhere easily visible that says RACE SHIFT and you'll adapt in no time. If not, you can always go back.

I've heard the horror stories too but I have yet to see or experience one firsthand. I'm more likely to mistakenly upshift than vice versa.

Good to know mate. Im running AP rearsets so is super easy to switch across to race shift pattern. Just need to get my head around it and put it into practice on track. My local track has a couple of turns that have always given me trouble grabbing another gear on corner exit.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-18-17, 02:01 Thread Starter
-LG-
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Literally took me 10 minutes. Sure there might be a wrong shift or 2, but not if you make a conscious effort. After 6 months you'll use it telepathically, just like brakes stop you.

And really there is only 1 way to find out. Just do it.

That's the plan
post #7 of 20 Old 04-18-17, 05:35
hiimchad

Garage
I love race shift. I learned about it when I had my CBR600RR. I got a set of Vortex rearsets and it was super easy to make the change. My buddy told me I should give it a shot. He wanted to do it bad with his ZX6R but couldn't with the stock rearsets. I said it sounded kind of stupid since I had already been shifting standard for so long. One day, I finally tried it, and I never looked back. I had a derp moment once or twice where I meant to upshift and accidentally downshifted, but luckily I was on the street and not going fast so it wasn't a big deal. A week later, I never wanted to use standard shift again, and my friend was laughing at me for being an ignorant dumbass.

The first mod I bought for my Daytona was rearsets, just so I could run GP shift. It makes a lot of sense for supersports. I find it easier to hit a good upshift when pressing the shifter down under hard acceleration, as it's easier for my foot to exert force in that direction. It just feels more natural to me. I have ridden other bikes with standard shift, including supermotos, and been able to switch back between the two with no issue. If you're on track, just focus on it for the first few laps, and then it will just become part of your rhythm.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
post #8 of 20 Old 04-18-17, 18:54
Razgreeze

I have AP and I tried GP shift but for the life of me I cannot get it to be smooth. Something is off. With the bike on the stands I can almost lift the bike and take slack out of the suspension before it will bang up (downshift) a gear in GP shift. I spent almost all winter messing with incremental settings and gave up. I am personally worried I would over rev the engine due to a bad shift.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-18-17, 19:01
hiimchad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgreeze View Post
I have AP and I tried GP shift but for the life of me I cannot get it to be smooth. Something is off. With the bike on the stands I can almost lift the bike and take slack out of the suspension before it will bang up (downshift) a gear in GP shift. I spent almost all winter messing with incremental settings and gave up. I am personally worried I would over rev the engine due to a bad shift.
I'm a little unclear, do you mean you can't get it to engage a gear while downshifting on your pit stands? Is the engine running while you're trying to do this?

post #10 of 20 Old 04-18-17, 19:09
Razgreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimchad View Post
I'm a little unclear, do you mean you can't get it to engage a gear while downshifting on your pit stands? Is the engine running while you're trying to do this?

Yeah the engine was running and the clutch was engaged. This is following going for a ride with the bike moving and I found that I was encountering a lot of difficulty getting to get the bike into the next gear. I had to put an excessive amount of force shifting up (which would result in a down shift). This was independent of clutch in or clutchless shifting.

I think I was experiencing an issue with impingement or a lack of range of motion of the rearset. I was really worried that I FUBAR'd my gear box for a while.

If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Razgreeze For This Useful Post:
Avanti (Today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement