Triumph 675 Forums banner

Öhlins on a Daytona/Street Triple....a quick guide

7K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  toronto675 
#1 ·
Alright....I have the quick recipe for an Ohlins damper on our beloved bike. Pretty simple:

1 Hyperpro 916 mount $219.95 directly from Hyperpro
1 Ohlins damper, with Ducati bracket price varies....I've seen them on Ebay as low as $370ish

With the traditional Ohlins bracket, I soon realized it would hit the tank.....

So I had to get an aftermarket, or different mount....this one by Ducabike...

After installing the Ohlins in that bracket, on the Hyperpro mount, this is what you get.

NOW, after having done it....I know that I shouldn't have drilled and tapped the top yoke Hyperpro bracket for M8. It was already drilled and tapped for M6X1.0. The Ohlins needed M8....but since the original Ohlins bracket didn't work, you can just leave the bracket the way it is. Since the Ducati, and Ducabike brackets accept M6.

You can call Hyperpro and order the bracket here.....

http://www.hyperprousa.com

It's an expensive proposition to get the Ducabike bracket...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OHLI...7257467QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

That's why you could save some $ by getting the Ducati Ohlins damper, with the mount that clears the tank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DP-O...3761912QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

After all this is said and done....you'd have a true Öhlins 916 style damper on your bike for about $600.....is it worth it? That's up to you to figure out :cool2:

See less See more
#3 ·
I put maybe 2 miles on her...there's about 20 clicks of adjustment on the Ohlins....I put her about right in the middle for starters. And the steering feel is different compared to OEM....that's for sure. It'll probably take some seat time before I'll have her dialed in to my liking. But thus far :thumbup: Not to mention the fact that I am swedish....and just HAD to have something swedish on my bike :laugh:

#11 ·
Why just mount an Ohlins damper on the undeside of the triple, where the D675 is already?
Looked at the set-up and a 58mm stroke ohlins should fit right there in place of the stocker, with the ohlins supplied bracket.

only downside is the lack of on the fly adjustability....but i run something just like this on both of my kawasaki's..
Typically can be done for under $300 with a damper rebuild.

#12 ·
Many thanks for this thread! I'm ordering a top mount bracket from the Hyperpro group buy thread. If anyone else is interested head over this way for the mount:
Hyperpro Steering Dampers (D675, ST3, STR, SP3) - Triumph675.Net Forums

Then PM TJ at Riders Discount and he can set you up with the Ohlins Damper and the bracket as well, you need to specify it's the 848 bracket though.

Why just mount an Ohlins damper on the undeside of the triple, where the D675 is already?
Looked at the set-up and a 58mm stroke ohlins should fit right there in place of the stocker, with the ohlins supplied bracket.

only downside is the lack of on the fly adjustability....but i run something just like this on both of my kawasaki's..
Typically can be done for under $300 with a damper rebuild.
On a Striple it would probably work, but on a Daytona it doesn't fit. I spent hours and hours trying to get it to fit, but it just isn't possible to fit nicely without hitting the headlights.

#14 ·
I could be misunderstanding him, but no matter what, you'll need the Hyperpro top mount hardware. When he says the 848 bracket, he means the thing that actually attached to the damper itself, like this:

You need a bracket like that to attach the damper to the Hyperpro hardware. Ohlins makes one in the same shape that I know TJ can get a hold of. I'll report back once I have all of the hardware for mine, but that won't be until the Hyperpro group buy ends.

#15 ·
My apologies for the huge bump but wanted to thank you since I just finished putting this on my Daytona. Top mount Hyperpro bracket with the clamp/bracket to hold the steering damper direct from Ohlins rather than an aftermarket one. Special thanks to TJ at RidersDiscount for finding one for me!

#19 ·
Sorry, I didn't notice your reply until now. I would say mine cost around $450 or so.

It definitely is a lot and definitely isn't the cheapest solution possible, but I just like having something a little different, plus Ohlins has some of the best customer service I've ever seen, so I know I'm in good hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.