Triumph 675 Forums banner

Gas tank loose

7K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Bamboo671 
#1 ·
I guess loose might be the wrong word here. Either way, my gas tank moves about 1/4 inch side to side. The 2 allen bolts at the top of the tank are tight, and the long bolt under the seat is tight. It seems like the bolt under the seat isnt tight enough because i can see the tank moving at that position when i push on it. Are there any other bolts that hold it on there? I just had my bike at the dealer for a regulator issue and have put maybe 70 miles on it since then. Im afraid if i really crank on that bolt under the seat that i might snap it off. Any advice here would be great.

#8 ·
I lost my oringinal grommets in a lowside...never even knew that they were part of the bike until after a lowside and i noticed that my tank was shifting back and forth...a few forum searches and i found out that i was missing the grommets...got a new pair for under $2 and glued them on so i will never lose them again:nod:

#11 ·
Mine had to go in for its recall jobbie (fuel pump relay harness) and came back minus it's rubber grommets. The tank was a little bit side-to-side shifty. When I rang the workshop manager he said he had no idea what their purpose was but he guessed cosmetic. But if I was that fussy he would post them out to me. Which he did. Replaced them and the movement was gone.

#12 ·
My dealer did my 12k servise and the forgot to put them back on, they ordered newones and I been waiting for them for two weeks, I have a track day on sunday. I started a thread about the poor servise of this dealer and I keep findin mistakes after mistakes, For my next service or to purchase my next 2010 Daytona Im going to Brea (Orange county) 2 hours away.. Fuck.​

#14 ·
Z675R, don't overthink it man - it is still the rubber grommets. Over time the rubber gets compressed and torn so they get thinner. The groove that hugs the tank edge on one of them on my left side started to tear so it started to wobble ever so slightly. inspect them and if you want (I did) glue additional 2mm rubber washers to the bottom on both to make them slightly taller and it will be back to as solid as ever. There is really nothing else there to get loose

(...unless you crashed and bent the hell out of the bottom hinge - ask me how I know lol)

#17 ·
Good thought. I will check. I've never removed the tank, but someone else might have during an older service when I had it done at a shop.

As far as the compression goes...it was way more than 2mm. I've been wondering if things got pushed back by having canyon dancers on there. I recently put wider handlebars on that may move the position of the crossing parts of the canyon dancers a little bit. In any case, I've stuffed some stuff under the rubber grommets that has made everything fit snugly. I'll probably just put a bunch of layers of tape under there and call it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.