Triumph 675 Forums banner

Headlight Recall

10K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  donutpop365 
#1 ·
I finally got around to talking to my local dealer about the cracked headlights on my 2012 stripler. He said that afternoon he ran the vin here got a recall notice for the headlights. Figured I'd pass that on to everyone else here who might be interested. :)

#6 ·
Okay to start this isn't a recall. It's a Service Bulletin recommending a part replacement.

So here's the information you need.

Vin 480782 to 526783

Apparently it doesn't affect all of them though as you need to check the headlight lens itself to be sure. On the lower edge of each lens is a manufacturer part number.

Old part numbers
90 5239 R, 90 5340 L

New part numbers
90-5239 R, 90-5340 L

The only difference is the dash between the first and second set of numbers. If you have a dash then you have the updated part.

#21 ·
Vin 480782 to 526783

Apparently it doesn't affect all of them though as you need to check the headlight lens itself to be sure. On the lower edge of each lens is a manufacturer part number.

Old part numbers
90 5239 R, 90 5340 L

New part numbers
90-5239 R, 90-5340 L

The only difference is the dash between the first and second set of numbers. If you have a dash then you have the updated part.
Took my 2012 in for its 12K mile service last week.
My VIN is in the affected range and my headlamp lenses had cracks in them.

The dealer called Triumph and the lamps were replaced without any quibbling (as was the front wheel bearing which is apparently also subject to a recall).

However, I believe the significant dash is between the TYC and the rest of the part number rather than internal to the part number as suggested above.
Either that or there is (yet) another, new part number?

e.g. Old part number (RH):

New part number (RH). Note the "-" after TYC:

#11 ·
Just checked my lights and I have the dash on them. Strange as my bike is a March 2011 bike and the vin is within the range. I did buy the bike s/h with less than 3000k's on it in June this year so either lucky or it has already been changed over. Either way I keep checking them for cracks.

Al.

#18 ·
Ran down to the dealer yesterday to have my headlights replaced. Although only the right lens had cracked, dealer replaced the entire headlight assembly.
Took 'em less than a 1/2 hour, no worries.
W/O enlarging the images here, it may be tough to see the two cracks that developed. I thought the lens had been struck by a stone but there was no divot or any sign of impact on the surface of the lens, completely smooth.
When I asked about the cause, the dealer wasn't aware of why the lenses were cracking. Lens material defect?
Anyway, new headlights. Good customer support, thank you Triumph!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.