Triumph 675 Forums banner

Fork tubes 2013+ R & standard identical?

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Paulo666 
#1 ·
Hey all. I was able to inspect a standard and R version street triple today side by side and it appears the fork tubes and upper and lower clamps are identical aside from the finish?

I've been investigating fork compatibility with my 2014 standard street triple and was under the impression the tubes were different but I wasn't seeing that? Obviously the fork feet are different and perhaps the inner tubes?

#3 ·
The forks are the same diameter but the length is different between the two. If you want to swap forks with an R, you'll also need the calipers, the radial master and the ABS cable (most likely they won't be compatible). However you'll need to do the rear shock as well then or have a pretty skiddish ride. You'll pretty much have an R after that tho

#4 ·
So, here is the thing. The fork outers/uppers on the standard and R 2013+ bikes have the same outer dimensions (but gold v black anodising). Are they internally the same? I would think so from a manufacturing perspective to keep parts count down.... Are the lower fork tubes/stanchions the same between standard and R 13+ bikes? If these parts are the same I can fit the 13+ abs R stanchion feet I have to the tubes/stanchions from my standard, reuse the fork outers (get them anodised black) and install the Matris 13+ R cartridge kit...?

I have installed the R rear shock (picked it up new for $100 Ebay, bargain).

#7 ·
Yes, there seems to be a lot of confused information on the interweb thingy so check before you believe what you read.

Anyway, the outer fork tubes on a 2014 Street Triple R are identical in external dimension and length to the Street Triple Standard 2014 - I know as I have the later bike and forks from the former R. 482mm length on both outer tubes. Makes sense to reuse the same parts on the 2nd gen bikes where possible right?

The other thing I noticed is that the front brake lines on my Street Triple standard (steel braided) are feed from a common T junction under the steering column/instrument dash area and are of equal length running to each standard caliper and appear long enough with the front suspension extended to bolt straight up the 2014 R forks with the R calipers in place. I've read elsewhere that you will need longer brake lines on the front but that's not apparent to me at first look. Maybe the Daytona swap (not what I am doing) is a confusing factor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.