Triumph 675 Forums banner

Any thoughts/opinions on this oil filter system?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
#2 ·
No experience with it, but I like it ...... as long as you really do get the old crap cleaned out. I could see a lot of potential for the metallic sludge/shavings not getting properly removed. I do like the extra cooling fins. Perhaps someone that is using this will see this thread and contribute a practical experience opinion.

All this being said, it would be about a 3-4 year payback to make this worthwhile.

#4 ·
I used the original made by Scotts. All others are clones as is this one. Over 10 years on my R6 and 7 in my KLR650 all without issue and keeping oil clean. The Scotts has a very strong magnet that grabs and holds well. However I've given up on them for the Daytona because I got tired of the cleaning hassle. As said the savings are not great and IMHO doesnt justify the hassle and mess. Many on here question the filtration effectiveness.

Reactions: Nastybutler
#5 ·
Used them on the last three bikes I've owned without issue. These stainless steel cleanable filters are very similar to what's used on all modern aircraft and helicopter turbine engines. Haven't picked one up yet for the D675 as I have a couple OEM filters still to use the dealer gave me when I bought the bike.
Never paid more than $95 for a PC Racing brand. Yes, pricey but I change my oil often as I do lots of track days. I like being able to see what may be in the filter. Does anyone cut their throw away paper filter open and look?

#6 ·
They work but they don't filter as well. The micron rating for these if accurate has to improved significantly over the Scott's which is good. However there are two major factors in an oil filter The size of the filtration and the surface area of the filtering media. A good filter not only filters out particles smaller then 15 microns it also has a much larger surface area then this filter. The surface are is important if you aren't changing your filter every few thousand or less. That is because the less are you have the faster the filter will plug all those little holes and once plugged the bypass valve in the filter will be forced open and the oil isn't filtered at all. Something else to consider is if this filter is truly 15 microns which is getting down to the cellular level then good luck cleaning it. You won't be able to see the holes because you'll need a microscope and it will be like trying to clean cat hair out of your clothes. A lot of the particles will be jammed into the holes or magneticay clinging to the media (yes even if it's stainless). So after you've ha fit a while a significant number of holes will be plugged and it didn't have that much surface area to start with.

The only reason I can see to get this is if you plan to go on a adventure your to places unknown where you can't buy filters and carrying spares would take up precious space. Other then that how much money are you saving? How much is the bikes longevity with to you? The same goes for cleanable air filters none of which filter as good as the factory paper filter.

http://www.gwrra-ohh2.org/pdf/oilfilter.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.