Triumph 675 Forums banner

Chain Tension question

10K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  phatplat 
#1 ·
The manual says "hold it on upright position with no weight on it" tension should be between 0.51- 1.26 In (13-32 MM).
This sound very little slack for no weight at all.
For all my bikes I allow 20-30 MM free play with me seating on the bike and a friend takes the measure.
My bike is with 1400 miles (1000 gentle break in miles) clean and lube every 300 miles, and has 40MM free play without me seating on it.
Is it possible i need to adjust the chain after only 1400 miles?

#2 · (Edited)
I would think depending on how hard you ride it would determine how often an adjustment is needed...but in my experience yes, I have had to adjust every new chain within a relatively short amount of time, but not by much. I usually adjust to an estimated 1in up and down (2in). Seems to work well....anymore and it feels too loose, any less and it starts to howl. No abnormal sprocket wear.

Edit: make sure you measuring at the tightest part of the chain. I didnt realize this was a striple....regardless my buddy's street triple didn't seem to be too much different though I think i remember the manual stating drastically different measurements.

#4 ·
At the tightest spot, up and down less than an inch an half. Idk how anyone could ride with more, there's a physical delay which such play.

#8 ·
I run mine at 30mm. No track day provider around here would allow a bike on the track with a chain that is only ~1/2" of play each way. I would expect binding at full rear compression.

#11 ·
I don't put too much thought into it usually. While uncompressed and by myself.... I just eye ball it and snug up the nut, then a quick tape measure to make sure its not too loose. If it makes it pass the tape and is too loose I'll notice when I go to change gears or when I roll on the throttle quick....plus it'd prob slap the bottom of swing arm. If its too tight I'll notice right away when I jump on the road by the howling noise it makes. I do not track but I have many 10s of thousands of miles on several bikes and I've never had any abnormal wear of any kind and for sure no noticeable performance or safety issues. My advice is adjust it how you normally do and ride it. If you notice anything fine tune adjust it as needed. Personally I've always gone with an uncompressed 1.5-2in of slack....probably 1-1.5 with wieght, measured once don't remember. Pretty bumpy in some of the places I go....gotta ensure safe full rear articulation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.