Triumph 675 Forums banner

What's a D675R like to live with?

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Studio X 
#1 ·
Hello guys.

I'm looking into the possibility of buying a Daytona 675R new here in the UK and I just wanted peoples opinions on a few things.

1. What are they like to live with? Ie, general riding around town, slow traffic etc. I don't think I need to ask about back lane blasting because I don't imagine the bike would be anything less than spectacular. Nor do I need to ask about their track ability with it being voted best track bike since the dawn of time!

2. Servicing/Maintenance. Are there any special considerations to take into account? More so when compared with a Japanese bike? I currently own a 2013 Honda CBR600RR and it more or less looks after itself, I just wondered if the Daytona was the same or whether there were certain idiosyncrasies common to the breed?

I've read the rider's woes thread and seen some of the common problems that arise from time to time, I'm not too concerned about any of them. If I come across anything I couldn't solve I would just take it back to the dealer, which fortunately isn't too far from where I live.

I appreciate any responses anyone can give.
Thanks guys.
Gaz.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I don't commute on my 675r, but for weekend/evening social riding - it simply awesome ! I have changed the seat to the gel version and don't carry a passenger. Covered around 4k miles in the last year, with no issues. I guess the main question is what do you plan to use your bike for ?

The suspension can be a bit unforgiving on UK roads, however in general it is comfortable enough for long days in the saddle. Clutch is light, brakes have plenty of feel. Can be a bit heavy on the wrists on a long trip - spent 6 hours today out and about without any issues, except can't stop grinning ....

#3 ·
besides the r/r issues, I've rarely seen much issues in the first & 2nd gen pop up. It seems the 3rd gen is what most of the problems that are popping up on the forum.

One persons comfort isn't = to yours. The ones riding daytonas including myself find it perfectly fine for daily ventures.

#4 ·
Thanks for info guys, exactly what I was asking for.

I wouldn't use it for commuting but I generally have a bit of town/slow traffic work before I get to any bike friendly roads. But it's usually only for a half hour or so and then I'm free to play.

Much the same as you I think Technik, when I go riding I make a day of it. Normally 400 miles + in a day out. Out early, back late, making the most of the Welsh roads normally. But my riding would generally be enjoying the country lanes at fast road pace as a rule, and 3-4 track days per year.

Thanks for your findings regarding issue Glocken, I guess the issues list here on the forum has to be seen knowing of the other thousands of bikes sold. I guess every manufacturer gets the odd bike with teething problems.

I'm just in a quandry now. I had a 2006 D675 in 2011, and loved it. But I sold it to continue racing motocross. What a mistake! That bike was awesome. But, having a look at these bikes I decided I wanted the R version, not that there is anything wrong with standard Daytona. But for the price difference, the R just has the appeal.

But my CBR600RR is a great bike, easy to get along with and gives me no trouble. Only 2 years old. I'm trying to rationalise buying a D675R, I think this might be the wrong forum for that because you're all too likely to encourage me to buy one haha!

Decisions, decisions.

#5 ·
Test ride one and see if you like it. If you already own the cbr and like it, there's no real reason to change bikes. Can never go wrong with a Honda

#7 ·
If you have the bug, and you just can't live without it, go with the R ( surprised a Brit, or at least someone living in UK, isn't all about Triumph... From what I hear there are a lot more of them there than here... Correct me if I am wrong )
You already have a capable machine ( that can be made even quicker, for usually less money due to parts/ availability of used goods) if you are just looking for a bike to spend hours on and really enjoy, have you considered the street triple?
I'm more of a Daytona guy myself, but certainly the street triple is a worthy machine

Glad to have you on the forum. Even if you didn't get a Triumph, your opinions are well spoken and your input is valid. ( and you arnt just trying to get your 25 posts : p )

#9 ·
As others have said, comfort is particular to the rider and the conditions of his/her commute. I've heard of people doing the annual 9/11 ride here in the States on Super Sports -- I could never do it.

I personally can't go much over 45min worth of riding until I start to feel uncomfortable and want to stretch and I'm always thinking about body position; reminding myself to keep weight off my arms. My daily commute is 30 miles round-trip (48km), mostly back roads. By the time I get to work 30 minutes later I'm not entirely ready to get off the bike, but it's a welcomed extension of the legs and return to an upright position. If I had 30 minutes of city traffic before open roads, I would have traded up for a cruiser a long time ago, but that's me and you already ride a sport bike in those conditions.

My understanding is the D675 has the most extreme rake of the Super Sports on the market -- so that may or may not effect your comfort level in those city situations coming from your Honda.

Maintenance is pretty easy, I've got over 12,000 miles on my 2009 with no issues. The R/R seems to be the only thing that can be bothersome. Mine was replaced by the previous owner and I've never had any problems with it.

#10 ·
Crooked roads=Heaven
Straight roads=Hell

I've got the Saddleman gel seat and have adjusted my Attack rearsets all over the place. My legs still are pinched and uncomfortable after 40 miles of straight roads.

That being said, if I'm on the track there's no problem. And I've done 400 mile days several times if they are full of curves and I can move around the bike.

#11 ·
The biggest thing to me is OEM parts support. In the USA, unless you live on the east or west coast near a large, well-established dealer, parts support really sucks. The Triumph USA warehouse is in Atlanta, and does a hideous job stocking the "known issue" parts like R/R, Stator, ect. From what I've read over on the British forum, you Brits got it made with a vastly better dealer network and support. You guys were getting replacement R/R's 6 months or more before we were in the USA - and didn't require a forced recall like it did here in the USA. The Daytona is a beautiful machine, but IMO, the CBR is going to be a lot easier/cheaper to live with long term.

#12 ·
I only own one bike, a '13 D675R. In the summer time, my car rarely moves. I am yet to get uncomfortable. The clutch is super light, brakes are effortless, and I don't find the seating position to be that bad. I always take wrist fatigue as a sign that my form is off and focus on holding myself up with my legs. I will admit that I often scoot all the way up to the gas tank and sit upright, which I know is not right (I'm 6'1, 180ish).

The only issue I could see is if you ride in heavy traffic and are not a lane splitter. I commute every day in NYC traffic, and although I'm a pretty responsible rider, I rarely put down a foot. If I was going to stop/start every 30 seconds, I can't really imagine how unpleasant the ride would be, but I wouldn't think it would be any more fun on a cruiser.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have always found sport bikes with moderate ergos to be most comfortable, on cruisers, my arms get tired quickly. Compared to my old bikes GSXR 600 may have been a drop more comfortable, my R1 was about the same, my 748 was much worse and my '79 CB750 was a lot better. I doubt anyone with familiar with sport bikes would have much trouble dealing with the D675R.

#13 ·
I doubt anyone with familiar with sport bikes would have much trouble dealing with the D675R.
Disagree. But everyone is built differently. Just giving my experiences.

I've put on probably 70,000 miles on several sport bikes, including 25,000 on an R1 and 15,000 on a CBR1000RR and 5,000 on an R6.. Those bikes were Cadillacs compared to my Daytona. My arms, neck and back are fine. It's the origami position my legs are in that kill me.
Obviously other's results will vary.

#17 ·
The Daytona is an old man's bike. We already have so many aches and pains that a few more don't matter too much.

Stop & go traffic in Florida heat is misery. In motion, the bike is a joy.

#18 ·
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

I've done 600 mile days on my CBR600RR before now. admittedly the standard clip ons on the CBR have risers as standard so maybe I'm a little bit less bent forward. But normally it's my legs that suffer on long rides. But I'm only 5'8". And my legs start to get tired after about the 300 mile mark unless I have rest stops along the way (which I normally do), or the road is the sort that requires a bit of moving around the bike, which are the roads I normally aim for. And trackdays are more appealing thinking of having a 675R between me legs. I've only ever done one trackday with the 600RR and it was fantastic fun. But I just felt like I need a bit more bottom and mid range pull. Triumph's triple would do that for me I think.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the R/R?

Yeah, I don't know why I want to change bikes but I just have an unshakeable feeling/need. And the 675R is really pulling me hard.

It's good to have other peoples opinions on it though.

Many thanks guys.

#19 ·
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

I've done 600 mile days on my CBR600RR before now. admittedly the standard clip ons on the CBR have risers as standard so maybe I'm a little bit less bent forward. But normally it's my legs that suffer on long rides. But I'm only 5'8". And my legs start to get tired after about the 300 mile mark unless I have rest stops along the way (which I normally do), or the road is the sort that requires a bit of moving around the bike, which are the roads I normally aim for. And trackdays are more appealing thinking of having a 675R between me legs. I've only ever done one trackday with the 600RR and it was fantastic fun. But I just felt like I need a bit more bottom and mid range pull. Triumph's triple would do that for me I think.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the R/R?

Yeah, I don't know why I want to change bikes but I just have an unshakeable feeling/need. And the 675R is really pulling me hard.

It's good to have other peoples opinions on it though.

Many thanks guys.
regulator rectifier

the daytona is more taxing on legs than other bikes, it's way more cramped than other 600s. Most people usually get rearsets to give themselves some leg room.

#21 ·
I went from a 13 cbr600rr to a 13 D675R. The 675 has I higher seat height than the cbr so naturally you will be on your wrist a little more if you don't squeeze the tank & use your core to keep you off of your wrist. As far as peg placement your legs will be bent as much on either. I actually found the peg placement a touch better on the 675R & puts my feet in a better position to use the foot controls. In my personal experience I get fatigued about the same amount of time/hours on both so if you can live with the CBR you can live with the 675R.

#22 ·
I was uncomfortable when I first bought the daytona, and I wasn't even 23 years old!

But it was minor discomfort that I've almost entirely remedied with mods and core strength.

Raising the seat probably 1-1.5" with quality foam was easily the best thing. But the helibars were first, and definitely enabled that, so I wouldn't be even more contorted. You'll probably love it as is, but don't forget you can change anything you don't like!

#23 ·
I put on a set of GiaMoto rear sets which allowed me to lower the pegs about 15mm and move them rearward about 10 mm. They also had the happy benefit of an adjustable toe peg for the brake and shifter which made it possible to position those two critical elements for more fluid contact. I did add the Saddleman Track Carbon Fiber Gel seat but, honesty, found the standard seat worked well. I raced bicycles for years so find complaints of the uncomfortableness of motorcycle seats pretty funny.

Adding some version of tank pads will help you use your thighs to grab the tank and stabilize you which will take a great deal of stress off your wrists. Just remember, if you can't freely wiggle your elbows, you have way too much weight on your arms. Aside from the pressure relief, keeping the weight off of your arms offers enormous benefits in subtle steering, throttle, brake and clutch control.

Have fun.

x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.