Triumph 675 Forums banner

2011 STR - Randomly dies on decel

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  redrover675 
#1 · (Edited)
For the last month or so, my 2011 Street Triple R has had an issue. Randomly, the engine will cut out while I'm riding it, seemingly always when I'm decelerating / engine braking, and then pull in the clutch.

The first time it happened, I figured I just engine braked too long and bogged it. But it happened a couple times after while splitting lanes on a surface street, usually days or a week apart. This week, its happened twice while on the freeway, still always on deceleration.

When the engine cuts out, the oil light comes on (same as if I hit the kill switch). I'm able to start the bike back up while coasting, so it's not really slowing me down, but I'm definitely worrried it'll happen at a worse time and/or not come back to life one day.

EDIT: Bike is completely stock.

Any thoughts?

#4 ·
Just read through this thread where three Daytona owners troubleshoot a similar problem. One solved it by replacing the TPS, two others solved it by replacing the CPS.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85001&page=4&highlight=Deceleration

The symptom differences for me: (1) I'm on a Street Triple, and (2) in my case it doesn't appear to be tied to heat -- it's been cold around here, and I've experienced the issue anywhere from 5-20 minutes after starting the bike, so not just when it's hot. Still, I'll keep an eye on the temp gauge from now on.

#5 ·
Question for you....have you had your RR or stator replaced? I ask because I have a 2011 STR as well. My RR failed before it could be recalled, so they replaced it with the updated one. About 2 years later, I started to similar issues. It shut down maybe 2 or 3 times on me. One day after a ride, I shut the bike off in my driveway and it would not restart. Just crank and no fire. Found out that my CPS had died. When I replaced the stator (CPS comes with it) I realized that even though it was still working, it was pretty dark in the area around the CPS. I imagine the RR helped kill it before it died. Once I replaced the stator, it never did it again.

My only worry is that mine was easy to diagnose because it died altogether, so I was able to hook up a scanner and watch the RPM reading as I was cranking...no RPM reading means the CPS wasnt reading anything. For you it may be a little more difficult. Either allow it to happen enough to get a good understanding of what conditions are needed and then replace the most logical thing, or take a stab at it now.

#10 ·
Update:

Brought the bike into the local SF Triumph dealer. They were able to reproduce the stall (when stopping) during a test ride, but did not find a cause. Service notes say:

Cam chain is noisy.
Auto scan OK, no error codes stored.
Reset adaptations.
Checked throttle bodies, in sync.
Performed functions tests, idle stepper motor (.601v in range).
Checked throttle position sensor (.605v in range).
They were unable to find a problem and suggested either (a) they spend another few hours trying to diagnose it, or (b) I take the bike home and run a few tanks of gas with Seafoam to see if the problem clears up. They were pushing me toward (b) so I took the bike home.

The bike stalled five times on my way home from the dealer, the first time was literally two blocks down the street (by far the most frequently this has happened).

I have noticed one other thing, which may or may not help in diagnosing the issue. Because I'm afraid the bike will stall when I come to a stop, I've been holding the throttle ever-so-slightly open with the clutch pulled in to prevent the engine from dropping RPMs past idle. When doing this, the RPMs feels erratic -- it'll hesitate and barely keep above 1000 RPM, then speed past 2000 RPM without me changing throttle position. It then becomes a challenge to keep the motor revving at just under 2000 RPM until I come to a stop. (I tried reproducing this throttle behavior with the bike parked and had no luck -- it seemed totally normal while parked.)

#11 · (Edited)
Update:

Brought the bike into the local SF Triumph dealer. They were able to reproduce the stall (when stopping) during a test ride, but did not find a cause. Service notes say:

They were unable to find a problem and suggested either (a) they spend another few hours trying to diagnose it, or (b) I take the bike home and run a few tanks of gas with Seafoam to see if the problem clears up. They were pushing me toward (b) so I took the bike home.

The bike stalled five times on my way home from the dealer, the first time was literally two blocks down the street (by far the most frequently this has happened).

I have noticed one other thing, which may or may not help in diagnosing the issue. Because I'm afraid the bike will stall when I come to a stop, I've been holding the throttle ever-so-slightly open with the clutch pulled in to prevent the engine from dropping RPMs past idle. When doing this, the RPMs feels erratic -- it'll hesitate and barely keep above 1000 RPM, then speed past 2000 RPM without me changing throttle position. It then becomes a challenge to keep the motor revving at just under 2000 RPM until I come to a stop. (I tried reproducing this throttle behavior with the bike parked and had no luck -- it seemed totally normal while parked.)
EDIT: I read through my old thread, and it seems my memory doesn't exactly match up with reality XD
Regardless, I believe I have a Rick's Stator and CPS in the bike, which worked for a bit and got my hopes up. Currently, the bike doesn't run or even idle reliably, and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the cause. I suppose the best troubleshooting would include getting brand new OEM parts for stator/cps, regulator/rectifier, and really going over all the electrical connections (did I mention the stator plug was kinda melty around one of the leads?). That's a pretty big effort though and I've been at the end of my rope for a long time with this bike :'(

Hey,

OP of the old thread you referenced. It's been a while since I updated, but I'm actually still having issues with my Daytona 675. 07, 23k+ miles.

My initial fix with replacing the CPS worked for a little bit, and got me through a 400 mile ride with plenty of traffic, stopping, decel, clutching in, shut off/turn on, etc. I was really happy because the bike was reliable and I didn't have to worry about losing engine power at an inopportune time which can be pretty dangerous.
In a week or so after that wonderful ride, the same issues started popping up again. Then my stator died and I lost power and battery a couple miles from home. That was a fun walk (push).

I ended up getting a Rick's replacement stator as well as another CPS, and swapped those components in. For whatever reason, my issue was not fixed. At that point I was pretty frustrated with the bike. I'd continue trying to fix it and ride it, but as time went on the problem seemed to get worse and worse. Pushed the bike to the dealer when it died a couple blocks away and no problems popped up in the diagnostics. As it stands right now (I still have the damn thing), the bike will barely start up and maintain idle. I'll probably have to drain the fuel tank and do some regular maintenance before I can revisit the main issues, as the bike has been sitting for a long while. I got a CBR600RR which so far hasn't had the issues the Triumph has given me.

That being said, I'd still like to get to the bottom of the issue. If anything just to fix up the bike and either sell it or use it for a track bike. I'm kind of disappointed to see that this is an ongoing problem, and there's nothing from Triumph to help us out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.