Triumph 675 Forums banner

dipesh267's "How To Change your Oil" *with pics*

132K views 207 replies 107 participants last post by  DDay 
#1 ·
Thanks to dipesh267 for sending in this helpful "How To"!! :2tu

Oil Change For Triumph 675

Triumph recommended material has already been discussed in the 675 forum.
http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6787

Manual recommends running the bike for a while and warming the engine thoroughly before the oil change. Manual aslo recommends waiting atleast 10 mintues after the engine has been shut off to allow sufficient cooling.
Remove the left side fairing. Instructions to remove the fairing is also discussed in the 675 forum here.

http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=948

Once the fairing is off identify the oil drain bolt and the oil filter.

Unlike some other sportbikes, the oil filter is easily accessible and has enough room to apply some elbow grease.

Remove the drain bolt. Make sure you keep your hands away from the oil that pours out because it's hot from the hot engine. Let the oil drain into the drain pan.

Remove the oil filter after a while. Some oil will pour out of the filter so be careful because it's hot as well.

Once the oil has drained take the new oil filter and line the seal with some of the oil itself that was drained or with the fresh oil.

Fit the oil filter and tighten to 7.3 lbf ft (10Nm)

Replace the crush seal if it's crushed or damaged with a new one and place the bolt back.

I used this oil wrech to remove the oil filter. Sometime some people over tighthen them too much so they can be pretty touch to remove because this particular filter wrench can slip quite easily. We're going to replace the filter anyway so be imaginative if needed to remove it.

I decided to go with this Repsol Oil.

Notice the specifications that the manual says is highly recommended.

Once the oil drain bolt and the oil filter have been properly fitted, open the filler cap on the right side of the bike and use a funnel to put oil in.

Make sure your bike has enough oil but do not over fill. The following image was taken from the link http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12301

Replace the fairings and start your engine and let it idle for a while.

See less See more
#28 ·
rprice58 said:
dumb question :oops:
Can oil change be done with the bike on the side stand or does it need to be upright for all the oil to drain out?? I'll be changing it tomorrow ... thanks for the DIY write-up
It's best to change the oil while the bike is in the upright position. :idea:

#29 ·
ShaneXman said:
rprice58 said:
dumb question :oops:
Can oil change be done with the bike on the side stand or does it need to be upright for all the oil to drain out?? I'll be changing it tomorrow ... thanks for the DIY write-up
It's best to change the oil while the bike is in the upright position. :idea:
+1 and make sure you don't run the bike too much before starting to change the oil.. that oil draining out can be mucho caliente :shock:

#31 ·
Awesome write-up, and thanks for posting :2tu

I'd also like to add that the fairing doesn't need to come off, I removed the oil filter right out the front, just turn the handle bars to the right and stick your hand in there, make sure not to get burned on the exhaust header if the bike is hot, or just wait a few till it cools of.

Johnny.

#33 ·
oil change

manual really sucks..filled beyond second line hours before track day only to find out it is to the upper mark not up the top hash area that is the overfill zone.anyway no need to take left side panel off..used a 1/2 6point socket took the drain plug out then used a 7 inch extension to a oil filter socket and it came right off.....now I have put in allmost 3 guarts still not to top line....wtf? al

#34 ·
Re: oil change

stinger92 said:
manual really sucks..filled beyond second line hours before track day only to find out it is to the upper mark not up the top hash area that is the overfill zone.anyway no need to take left side panel off..used a 1/2 6point socket took the drain plug out then used a 7 inch extension to a oil filter socket and it came right off.....now I have put in allmost 3 guarts still not to top line....wtf? al

What part of the above in conjunction with the write-up did you not understand? :head.. :?

The image and the write-up clearly says the 'hash area' is overfill and the 2nd line is the 'Full' mark. You say you filled beyond the second line? :head..

#36 ·
ive always filled up to the very top of the hashes, both bikes, 12000 and numerous track day on the 06, 4500 miles aggressive street and no problems what so ever, as a matter of fact they dont tick as much and seem to shift better.

#37 ·
For those of you questioning the oil level, here is the addendum posted in other areas of the forum. Pay special attention to the picture. There are still hash marks above the above the upper marking. You want to stop at the 2nd marking, counting up from the very bottom of the dip stick.

#43 ·
Okay... here's a really stupid question. (Hopefully I've built up enough cachet around here to be able to ask this without using my "I'm just a girl, so I shouldn't have to know these things..." card [which I'm saving for an emergency]. :D )

Just changed my oil. Yay. Always messy and fun.

Did the oil check procedure (10 minutes running; let it sit for a couple minutes, then check w/ the dipstick) and I was low.

So I added more oil. Now... here's my dumb question...

Do I have to run the engine again for 10 minutes before checking the level, or can I just trust what the dipstick says?

I'm guessing 'no', but I want to make sure.
:mrgreen:

#47 ·
onewheelslaute said:
i dont think it would be necessary to wait 10 minutes since there is already some oil moved around and the bike is warm. i could be totally wrong tho.
That was exactly my thinking as well. It is logical, but I just wanted to make sure cuz... while I'd have no problem with my engine grenading between now and next September (end of warranty), I'd prefer that it not be my fault if it happens. :D

#50 ·
You do not need to remove the fairings to change the oil on our bikes, I purchased K&N oil filters that have a 17mm bolt on the end, makes getting the filter off much easier and again fairing can stay on.

The 675 very easy to change oil.

Thanks for the write up.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.