Triumph 675 Forums banner

Metal Slivers in Oil

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Phicurious86 
#1 ·
So on my previous oil change I installed a magnetic drain plug. I changed my oil yesterday, and here's what I found on the end of that plug. For reference that magnet is about the size of a dime.

I've run the engine a bit since I've started to rebuild after my wreck, and it seemed fine. Any idea what the silver slivers could be from?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hit the end of guard rail with the right rear side of the swing arm, knocked the bike over on the left and slid maybe 15 feet. Was traveling at maybe 25mph when I hit the rail.

Rode the bike 180 miles back home after that without apparent issue other than a bent shifter.

I'll ask my mechanic to take a peak at the transmission while I'm getting the valves serviced.

#6 ·
I wouldn't even bother with cutting the filters open; my guess is you'll either find nothing at all or a normal amount of debris that might give you unjustified cause for alarm. Having your oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs is probably the cheapest and surest way to check the health of your transmission. Until then, yeah, I'd play it by ear. If any gear in particular starts jumping out or shifting becomes more difficult, then you're probably looking at a full teardown or replacement.

#7 ·
^^^^ Oil analysis if your worried. However I wouldn't be. It's almost certainly left over debris from when the motor was new. This stuff gets caught in the oil dump baffles or even in corners of the engine cases. You stirred that stuff up when the bike tumbled and some of it made it down to the drain plug. Also cutting your filter will only show you metal dust. There's alway some in there and anything bigger is stopped by the oil pick up screen and gravity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.