Triumph 675 Forums banner

Riding Temperatures

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  luciano136 
#1 ·
So a friend showed me this table with temperatures outside comparing up against to temperatures while riding in those temperatures. How accurate do you guys think it is?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Windchill has little meaning unless you're naked (no, not RIDING a naked!). Weather reporters love to talk windchill because it sounds so extreme and gets attention. Windchill figures are for what your skin would sense the temp to be from skin evaporation, but skin must be exposed to the wind for that to happen. An exposed neck will surely feel it, hands get cold in gloves due to perspiration and heat migrating to the colder glove surface (or fog/dew condensing on them), cooling from wind evaporation and pulling the heat from your hand.

For me personally, I draw the line at air temps in the 40's F. Yep, a California wuss!

#6 ·
Good to have handy. Thanks for the post Hokie! Would be great if it showed the difference in warmer temps as well. But I suppose a wind "chill" index wouldn't show any chill in summer temps heh. I'm curious to see exactly how much cooler you would be at 60mph in the 90s-100s, since it often hit triple digits here in central Cali. My guess is not much heh.. :pepsi:. The CycleFish chart doesn't even look close in my opinion..

#8 ·
Yeah OC isn't too bad. I would love to move to SantaCruz (where the wife is from). It's hoodies and shorts all year round lol. The climate is so nice there, just shed the hoodie by noon in the summer and you are good. But here in central Cali, even at my high elevation, we get both temperature extremes. No riding 12mo of the year for me unfortunately...

#9 ·
I don't know about you guys but riding down here in the OC the past two months have been brutal on my hands at 5 in the morning commuting to work. It doesn't help that I have perforated gloves but being that we live in Southern California. Having cold weather gloves would be an expense that can be used else where towards your bike so I figured why waste money on it when it's doesn't get THAT cold out here.

Either way, it's starting to warm up now so that's something to look forward too.

Thanks for the chart! It seems much more accurate and reliable than the one I posted. Definitely would've been nice to see the chart include a bit warmer temps on it but I suppose windchill isn't a huge factor while riding in the warmer temperatures.

#13 ·
definitely not accurate

#15 ·
That works if you're in a pinch and need something so you can keep going, but it doesn't work all that well. Done it a few times. Certainly not something I'd do every day. I commute (when my collar bone isn't broken), so heated gloves were one of the first things I bought. Very much worth the money. Plus my gloves have a little rubber squeegee on the left thumb which is a godsend in the rain. So much better than hoping you're going fast enough that the rain will blow off when you turn your head.

#22 ·
So i've checked out a couple websites selling these gloves you mentioned and to what i'm understanding from what is said in the features - they aren't heated gloves, correct? Reviews on them are in good standing. Aesthetically pleasing but those prices hurt me just from looking at it!

I've had my eyes on Alpinestars C-1 Windstopper Gloves for awhile now and STG has them on sale! Lightweight material but enough to keep the windchill to a minimum. Perfect for Southern California! Weather doesn't get chilly enough for a giant bulky glove and heated.

#18 ·
Haha! Exactly what I was thinking. Then again I live in such high elevations that when we aren't in a drought, we get whiteouts instead hah! So, as much as I love riding motorcycles I think I will take my heated 4x4 cage instead of my bike in that scenario. :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.