Triumph 675 Forums banner

Stupid things people say or ask about our bikes.....

326K views 2K replies 456 participants last post by  NefRider 
#1 ·
I was hit with a pretty good one yesterday.

Bystander: Nice bike! What kind is it?
Me: Triumph Street Triple
Bystander: Cool, who makes it?
Me: Uh, lol, Triumph
Bystander: Oh, OK, I thought Triumph just made cars?
Me: I just laugh a little and go about my business.

#906 ·
Not about the bike specifically, but had this little laugh at the gym today:

(as I'm hooking the waist zipper of my jacket to my trousers)
RandomDude: "Man, don't ya hate gearing up?"
Me: "It's not too bad. Better than a skin graph."
RD: "Oh I've been down. I know."
Me: "Whaddya ride?"
RD: "CBR1000. I mean, I was on the little 600, but I upgraded to the 1000"
(he's now giving me a funny look)
Me: "Yea I figure I need all the help I can get."
RD: "Man you gotta ride hard. It's more dangerous when I take it easy. But when I'm riding hard like a bat-outta-hell is when I don't have any problems."
Me: (ha ha ummmm) "Well ride hard then. Cya."

#907 ·
While I could never have a cruiser as my only bike, I do still have a soft spot for them. I like the looks of Victory’s new model, Judge, I thought I would drop in and check it out.

In my haste I didn’t check to see if it was actually release yet. It isn’t. The sales guy then told me that it would be similar in dimension to their Highball model but that the pegs would be farther back. The conversation went downhill from there.

Sales: These corner great. Corners better than whatever you’re riding.

Me: I doubt it. I’ve got a Triumph Street Triple R …

Sales: Oh yeah then, way better. I scrape the pegs every time I ride one of these. Best handling bikes.

Me: … Ok.

Sales: The Judge will have the mid-mount pegs. That’s for girls. That bike’s just for girls.

Sales: Hey leave your number so I can call you when we get one in.

Me: *walks away*

#912 ·
While I could never have a cruiser as my only bike, I do still have a soft spot for them. I like the looks of Victory's new model, Judge, I thought I would drop in and check it out.

In my haste I didn't check to see if it was actually release yet. It isn't. The sales guy then told me that it would be similar in dimension to their Highball model but that the pegs would be farther back. The conversation went downhill from there.

Sales: These corner great. Corners better than whatever you're riding.

Me: I doubt it. I've got a Triumph Street Triple R …

Sales: Oh yeah then, way better. I scrape the pegs every time I ride one of these. Best handling bikes.

Sales: The Judge will have the mid-mount pegs. That's for girls. That bike's just for girls.

Sales: Hey leave your number so I can call you when we get one in.

Me: *walks away*
I know a lot of cruiser-guys who have only ever ridden cruisers (usually hardleys though lol) - maybe he's one of those guys who has nothing to compare against... in his limited experience it is the greatest-turning bike lol

#914 ·
I'm not sure whether this guy knew what he was talking about or not, but it was actually refreshing to hear someone who had at least heard of Triumph and didn't seem surprised I was on a sportbike:

I pulled up to a light, next to a guy in an explorer.

Guy: 'ey man! Where's the nearest Triumph dealer at??
Me: *starred at him for a few seconds before flipping my visor up and point to my bike, as if I couldn't believe he recognized the brand* "Triumph??"
Guy: "yeah!"
Me: It's over on Van ****!
Guy: "oh ok! Those are nice bikes!"
Me: "yeah they are"

Light turns green, I'm gone.... :coolgleamA:

#915 ·
Its been a while since I had anything to post here but this litterally happened 30 seconds ago. I rode to work today expecting that like the forecast said, the rain would hold off until late this evening. It started raining mid day so I moved my bike inside the shop downstairs. A little while ago one of my techs (not the sharpest arrow in the quiver) came back to the shop and as he is accident prone I decided to move my bike back outside (the rain has stopped). I guess the techs talk about me and/or my bike behind my back because as I was puulling BIKE out of the shop Paul says "it really does sound just like The Jetsons."

Its kind of fucked up that I just used his real name but its not like any of you know Paul.

#918 ·
I wouldn't want it to sound any other way but I guess I always forget that it does sound much different. It's like owning a Duc and everyone telling you they think there is something wrong with it (dry clutch)

#922 ·
"I have tried a Street Triple, but the whistle was so fastidious"

or

"What's that whistle that come from your engine? I think there's something wrong with your bike"

#928 ·
Not a stupid comment, but:

Last week from a parking lot. I was about to leave, when a group of kid was playing on the MC parking stands. Just about to start my bike, one of the kid shouted "You got the coolest bike here!". Oh yeah, I thought, since there were some other sportbikes standing along as well...
When the engine started and growled a little, all them kids was like "WWWOOAAH".

This made my day, and faith in kids these day is restored :D

(I own a street triple)

#929 ·
Haha that is great. :thumbup:

#930 ·
Ok, so I got a good one at lunch today. I rode to the grocery store to pick up some chips and BBQ sauce and a guy on a Harley pulls in and parks right next to me. He saw the dealer plate on my bike and once I got my helmet off he says:

Guy: "Got a new bike huh!"
Me: "That I did."
Guy: "I'd say congratulations but you were stupid and didn't buy a Harley."
Me: "Well, Harley doesn't make this kind of bike and if they did it would cost me 3 times what its worth."
Guy: "That's the price you pay to not ride Jap Crap."
Me: "And that just proves you're twice as stupid as I thought!"

After I said that he just gave me this weird look like he had no idea why I said that and I fired up my bike and took off. I laughed the entire way home. It probably wasn't a good idea on my part to say what I said to him because I can pretty much guarantee that I am the only person in town that owns a Triumph and to top it off it is purple so it isn't going to be hard to spot.

#937 ·
I don't believe I posted this hear yet, but a couple of years ago while I was at a light (had just left the dealership), a F150 with a box top and a giant US Flag murial on the back window pulled up next to me. Bubba did his best to get my attention and then shouted "Why don't you and your bike go the F*ck back to Japan!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.