Triumph 675 Forums banner

Building a race motor

7K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Triumph Race Support 
#1 ·
I want to turn this 07 stock motor into a race engine. I know this wont be SS legal but I would rather just race SB anyway.

I tried searching this out but all of the information I got on the Triumph T3 race cams is back from 06-07 when those cams didn't even increase the lift.

Does anyone have any videos with these cams installed or how much of a power difference it made?

Also I have a Triumph Race ECU, can you make changes to the tune through the tuneecu software or do I need a reprogrammable ECU?

#2 ·
I'll give you the same advice that was passed onto me many moons ago....Pick up an 09+ complete engine and start from there......

Seriously, just a ss topend with a kit stator and supporting mods will be more than enough...

Just my .02 as I've built a full sb 06-08 only to have it take a dump on me after a few race rounds....Not to mention my current setup makes more power with no port work...

Inside info: the 09+ head is factory ported/smoothed/coated....

#4 ·
I'll give you the same advice that was passed onto me many moons ago....Pick up an 09+ complete engine and start from there......

Seriously, just a ss topend with a kit stator and supporting mods will be more than enough...

Just my .02 as I've built a full sb 06-08 only to have it take a dump on me after a few race rounds....Not to mention my current setup makes more power with no port work...

Inside info: the 09+ head is factory ported/smoothed/coated....
Oh wow.....thanks for the info!

#5 ·
My previous race bike had all the race kit parts, including the cams. To be honest, they really not worth the $$, just an increase in duration.

The only other race cams I've seen for the 675 are made by Kent cams in the UK. They offer a nice increase in lift and duration. But like anything from the UK, they ain't cheap (especially thr shipping) You'll also need the race springs, but again, that's a good idea for any high revving race motor.

I do have a pair of the Kent cams for sale, if interested.

#6 ·
Yea I am just thinking about doing a SS top end on this motor and then save up for a 09+ motor and build a SB motor out of that. There is a ton of things I want to do to this bike but I think it would be more beneficial for me to just keep it as simple as possible with this bike.

It is a winning bike so it has the potential, just whether or not I can win the races is up to me not the bike. Plus I realized I would rather be a little down on the power side and force myself to use more technique and skill rather then relying on the power to make up for my mistakes.

#7 ·
All of a sudden, a lot of engine building talk going one.
Wonder what it's about? Bikes gettting older and time to refresh? People tired of getting the doors blown off by R6's down the front straight?

I am down for the winter myself and my bike is at the shop going to do some upgrades. Triples (not sure which one's yet), suspension refresh, and motor refresh.

Want to keep bike reliable. Will be looking at least 5 race weekends (so 35 to 40 races) plus about 40 track days.

Bike has 11k miles on it. 6k of which are track use. No problems so far.

Go JHS Racing oil cooler by pass thing from Antirich (tks) and no going to do SS build with an eye on reliability for 2013 season. Wanted to keep it SS legal as I am a glutton for punishment in racing.

So thinking:
Head
Gasket
Valves
Bearings

Markbilt in NJ is working on it and have until mid-march to complete.

So tell me what your guys' thoughts are?
So I get any race parts?

My times pretty good as they are, just looking for a little more pull (going to adjust gearing) and a little more top end.

I am already riding the thing like a 250 with a lot of corner speed (and the lowsides to prove it) , running in front of A group with all NJMP organizations.

Tks.

Tony

#8 ·
I haven't raced this bike yet but I will say I noticed a decrease in top end pull compared to my CBR600RR but this bike pulls much better everywhere else.

Honestly not sure if going to SB would be more beneficial then staying SS. I kinda get the feeling that the triple has more room for growth in the SB class vs the SS class, but wavrdr also opened my eyes to the 09+ engines as well.

There are more corners then their is straights so that tells me if I have a bike that doesn't pull hard on the straight I need to do whatever I can to make it pull even harder through and out of the corners. This also tells me that when the inline 4's make up ground on the straights I need to brake a little deeper into that first turn to regain the momentum of corner speed/ exit speed.

No bike will do everything perfectly, even the GP riders have to make compromises for higher speed but less feel or more braking power but less handling. We just need to make our bikes get through the corners that much faster.

I would like to see an engine spec that would pull harder on the drive out of the corner without messing the gearing too much on the sprocket side limiting top speed.

#9 ·
If the bike is set up correctly, it's difficult for any similarly modded 600 to pull with a similarly skilled rider....

Watch my YouTube vids. I yanked nearly every 600 down the straight running with less power than usual...

I would invest in kit valve springs...

My YouTube handle is: TheWavrdr

Daytona was the first race I used race gas, and the round previous at Jennings was the first time this season that the bike felt fully dialed.

#10 ·
When people come to us asking for more power the first thing we ask is do they want a refresh every meeting or once a year! Then we ask them how much they have to spend. As mentioned the 2009> engines give more power out of the box but you do need the correct settings in the ECU to get them running at their best.
Remember what ever mods you do over stock will shortern the engines life. Even just upping the compression with a kit gasket will shorten engine life! Not by much though. We use kent cams and cams from another UK source in our engines but we don't use kit valve springs. Come to think of it we don't use much out of the Triumph race kits at all! If you want a reliable motor you need to look at blue printing with upped compression, minor porting, Suzuki valve springs, cams, Kit ECU and loom and a oil cooler.

#20 ·
I want to turn this 07 stock motor into a race engine. I know this wont be SS legal but I would rather just race SB anyway.

I tried searching this out but all of the information I got on the Triumph T3 race cams is back from 06-07 when those cams didn't even increase the lift.

Does anyone have any videos with these cams installed or how much of a power difference it made?

Also I have a Triumph Race ECU, can you make changes to the tune through the tuneecu software or do I need a reprogrammable ECU?
The cams dont need to increase the lift, just the duration. I however agree with the next post that you would be better off starting with an 09 motor. We will do an exchange engine for £1500.00 but I suspect the shipping will kill it.

Sorry

#22 ·
We now have in stock the H2O oil cooler for the 06/12 Daytona's. This was made specially for us. Not the cheapest but certainly the best solution when it comes to removing the heat exchanger and a must for any race engine. This cooler will not go bang! and will help keep the oil temp down which means better lubrication and a cooler engine means better power.
We are offering members on here a discount price of £850.00 shipped till the end of Dec 2012.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.