Triumph 675 Forums banner

Broken Tibia at Knee

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Italianbuca 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been a bit inactive due to it being winter time here in New England and because of my current work schedule. Anyways, I was in a car accident resulting in a broken tibia at the knee (split down the middle) and part of my tibia at the top under the knee cap shattered. Attached are a couple of the xrays. Surgery wise, they need to take my knee apart, clean everything out, do a bone graft at the top of the tibia where it shattered, and install a plate on either side of the tibia with screws to pull the break back together.

Time table wise:
*accident Wednesday night
*surgery Tuesday (long wait due to severe swelling and bruising so operation had to wait for them to go down)
*hospital recovery for 2-3 days
*approximately 2-3 months of recovery and physical therapy
*overall should be walking and back to "normal" by end of May if all goes well.

So I had a few questions for you guys. Anyone go through a similar injury? How long was your recovery time?

Also my doctor noted that because of the location my my injury I may not get full motion in my left leg/knee. I currently have a daytona, which I love, I am truly hoping that I don't lose enough motion that riding the Daytona is no longer comfortable otherwise I will be searching for a striple. Any suggestions for the Daytona to increase comfort on the knee if need be?

Thanks for the input everyone. Very much appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. Nice X-ray.
Sorry for your injury and I wish you a speedy recovery.

1. About your recovery question, it is patient specific.
if you have an identical fracture to someone else, there are so many wither factors effecting the recovery process it's hard to say.
I would listen to what they have said as a standard time frame for your specific injuries.
I notice a lot of patients get stubborn and work really hard during PT and recover much quicker, ( weeks instead of months) the secret. They all have a GOAL, that they will not stop till they achieve.
Just like most success in life, you have to have that goal to work towards.

2. As far as comfort goes, there and numerous things you can do, but in general, by the time you spend the money and work to get the Daytona as comfortable as possible ( risers and rearsets are the biggest two for leg position/ overall comfort. - other members may have more ideas)
You will only be getting the Daytona to the baseline position of how comfortable the striple is.

If you have never ridden one, I say try it out after recovery and compare the too. Sure the Daytona has that real quick get, but the streety doesn't lag behind at all. It's a fun bike.

Then, you could spend a bit more and upgrade the comfort of the streety and be set.

Again, I wish you well in recovery and best of luck to you. You can't make a wrong decision either way

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Ditch Doctor. Hopefully as PT progresses there isn't as much motion loss as one could worry about haha.

Finally out of surgery and had a few days of recovery with some PT in the hospital. Because I am away from home and have nowhere local to live with assistance I will be going to a live in rehab/PT facility. Stuck in florida for 2 weeks, until surgeons and doctors will sign off on recovery status and I am no longer on blood thinners. Attached are the final xrays, turns out only 1 plate was required with 9 screws. They discovered no ligament, acl, meniscus, or muscle tearing or damage.

#4 ·
I don't have any medical input here, but, I have been through what you're going through. Keep your chin up, you'll be surprised at how well your body can recover from a bump. I surprised my doctors, you will too. Just keep pushing yourself. PT sessions are important, but what you do between those appointments is what shortens that recovery (i.e. learn the exercises and repeat at home).

See you back on the road.

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about your injury Italianbuca :/

I suffered from many broken bones & injuries. I almost totaled my left knee @ the park in Mt Snow, VT in '06 thanks to a bad landing. Ended up with torn ACL, PCL tear, meniscus tear, cracked knee cap, and couple of bone fragments inside the knee. So I know what it's like. But no worries.

Like Ditch Doctor and harcourt already pointed out PT is the most important part of recovery after a successful surgery. So please be patient and don't skip the strengthening workouts. Also water exercises in the swimming pool definitely helps - after your stitches are removed! -. Wait until your incision site is fully healed before attempting to swim.

Also please don't be too quick to jump on your bike. Be patient until you're perfectly healed. You don't want to re-injure your knee which will only make matters worse IMHO.

Wish you a speedy recovery

#6 ·
Well this looks all too familiar.

I broke my tibia plateau, cracked my tibia and tore my meniscus in 2012 (july about 1 week before Laguna Seca) at MX101 in Epping, NH trying to clear of all things a step down on my 06 CRF450X. (bad choice of MX bike).
(Doctor had to rebuild my tibia platuea, plate and 7 screws). From the pictures you posted not as bad as yours.

I was 32 at the time. My recovery was longer than I expected, No weight on my leg for a long 3 months+.
I was swimming outside in August (with a pull buoy) and in the pool indoors in Sept and October.
Pedaling on the bike at the gym once allowed.

I stuck to PT and did what they recommended.

The Good news part of this story:
In the fall of 2013 I bought my track 07 Daytona 675. No trouble whatsoever on my left side on the Daytona for track days. Haven't ridden it off track ever.

My 07 CBR1000RR still makes my knee uncomfortable after a bit but overall I'm okay riding that bike. It has Gilles Tooling rearsets and a little tough since I'm not very flexible.

My 07 VFR800 carried me and my wife's butt across the US in the spring of 2013. (about 1 year after breaking my leg)

I have some good reading recommendations if you are looking to pass the time.

I still ride the dirtbike (not very often) and only have some discomfort in my leg when its cold. Stiffness/soreness but nothing unbearable.

Hope this helps cheer you up some.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Very much appreciated. A lot of very similar stories, especially yours triharder which is identical to mine.

I keep trying to upload the post op xrays but having some issues with the app also wing me too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.