Triumph 675 Forums banner

Low speed high side

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  luciano136 
#1 · (Edited)
The ultimate squid wreck. And I did it.
Play-by -play:
Left the house, and went through a half mile of 20 mph neighborhood. Turning right from a stop sign, where I put feet down.
Didn't realize there was a puddle.
By the time the rear was sliding, then catching on the dry, I had no thoughts, no reactions.
Just blink and I'm on the ground.
Bike rear went pretty far out, caught and slammed to the left. It didn't throw me with it. I just kept falling to the right.
Landed on my right knee.
Eff motgatt, my one knee has been abused...

An older gentleman picked up the bike, rolled out to the side of the road. Had me wiggle my toes. I walked it the half mile back home, leaving my oil and shiny bits in the road.

The damage:
Cracked the stator cover and Gb cover.
Took chunks out of the left fairing.
Nose fairing has a big chunk of rash.
Bar end mirror gone and tip of helibar is chamfered.
Lsl slider helped.
Swingarm spool snapped and took the casting with it.
Footpeg snapped.
The trunk held up very well. For all the leverage on that one seat pan bolt, I expected it to snap on any impact. Grade 8 1/4-20 ftw.

So, I'm not riding for a bit. Thinking of selling it after its buttoned up. Oughta be saving money right now anyway. Get rid of what's left on the loan, and reduce insurance.

Two morals: cold tires and puddles don't pay nice.

Get your head in the game before you turn it on! Every time you ride! I've ridden on ice... 60 mph wind and rain. And I was careful and smooth. And I kept it up. But for this, I was groggy, needed more coffee, going through the motions, not paying attention. And it bit me. Don't be me.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Glad you have not suffered serious injury. I have seen things as a medic that you would never think would really hurt a person completely mess them up. (and some really bad things that didnt even scratch em.)

I think your two morals are well stated, but i think you can add the entire last paragraph to your morals.
Have your head in the game, FOCUS! Just like you said, that is essential to even rolling down the street, not just on the track or racing.
Every time your butt goes on the saddle, even just on stands in the garage while you practice form, FOCUS on it, learn from it

I see from what you said, (insurance etc etc) you may have been leaning towards selling anyways, but i suggest you not let this get you down. Take a few days or week or two, and If you are still looking to sell in the winter, you may really regret it come spring/summer.
Again, it sounds like you are of sound mind, i just want you to make the best decision you can. The fact you are still thinking about the high side to come post here says something.

I got excited the first time i low sided just because i was alright, the bike was mostly alright, and i learned a lot from it. I knew it would happen sooner or later. I had good gear, a good outlook, and am a better rider from it.
try to see your high side as a learning experience. If it has taught you you dont want the bike, that is perfectly ok, but if it teaches you the morals you mentioned, you will be that much better of a rider the next time out

just my 2c

good luck with the re-pairs, let us know if you need a hand

:thumbup:

#4 ·
Glad you have not suffered serious injury. I have seen things that you would never think would really hurt a person completely mess them up. (and some really bad things that didnt even scratch em.)

I think your two morals are well stated, but i think you can add the entire last paragraph to your morals.
Have your head in the game, FOCUS! just like you said, that is essential to even rolling down the street, not just on the track or racing, every time your butt goes on the saddle, even just on stands while you practice form, FOCUS on it, learn from it

I see from what you said you may have been leaning towards selling anyways, but i suggest you not let this get you down. take a few days or week or two. If you sell in the winter, you may really regret it come spring/summer.
Again, it sounds like you are of sound mind, i just want you to make the best decision you can. The fact you are still thinking about it enough to come post here says something.

I got excited the first time i low sided just because i was alright, the bike was mostly alright, and i learned a lot from it. I knew it would happen sooner or later.
try to see your high side as a learning experience. If it has taught you you dont want the bike, that is perfectly ok, but if it teaches you the morals you mentioned, you will be that much better of a rider the next time out

just my 2c

good luck with the re-pairs, let us know if you need a hand

:thumbup:
^ Excellent advice and reasoning! I think 100% of the people that have not wrecked, or even ever rode a motorcycle, do not comprehend just how painful, potentially lethal or expensive a simple "little" wreck can be. Or how quickly, and sometimes unavoidable, something just happens - within a second. Wearing moto gear really isn't truly appreciated, until needed, then it's priceless.

As DD mentioned, try not to make any quick decisions. Getting back on the bike ASAP is always a good idea after an accident, the longer you take the more apt you will be to just chuck it all.

#5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Trust me, this will not be the end of my life on two wheels. Been down multiple times on other bikes too, but the right knee always takes the worst.

I know the daytona will always be the one that got away. Skinny tank, easy torque, and sexier than the mid generation r6. (my old fave) I'm just not an exotic bike guy. I mean, in my dreams, sure. But, I can't get away from practicality. Thus why it has a trunk, custom seat, heated adv grips, etc.

Worst part is in phoenix, it has just gotten to be the good riding season. May be a good time to sell though.

And like I said, I've been needing to get a handle on debts with wifey charging up graduate school.

I will be on two's again. Probably with less plastics, full hard bags, and spoked wheels.

#6 ·
Glad you're okay. Don't decide anything until you know what your insurance will do.

One additional lesson, though - always wear knee protection.

Even if I wear jeans, I always have on shin/knee guards beneath, plus good boots. I fell several years ago, wearing gear except for riding pants. My jeans wore through and I really tore up my knees. Took months for the wounds to heal, then I had orthoscopic surgery on the left knee. Never again.

#8 ·
Agreed don't let it's discourage you. I learned alot from when I went down too. I thought I was a moto GP racer going into corners the first few months I had my old F4i. Low sided into a curb in a roundabout, doing between 40-50mph. I flew off the bike, and bike flew threw the air. Bent forks, every bracket on the front, head light assembly, rear sets, stator cover, and every single fairing destroyed. Somehow only walked away with road rash from something I probably shouldn't be alive from. So keep your head up, take care of what you need to, and get back in the saddle!

#9 ·
Glad to hear your ok mate!! Could be worse, like broken bones. lil get off happens to the best of us, especially when on the streets. so dont let it get to ya.. Don't give up the two wheel dream! Its a passion that cant be extinguished!!

What did you say you were looking at? I really like the new bonnevilles, or even the ducati scrambler is ace..

Keep on keepin on!!

#10 ·
Man, really sorry to hear this. And so much damage for a low speed get off. But sounds like the most important equipment made out mostly OK.

Going to have to force myself to put those knee pads back in.

Weird how things happen when you least expect. Crashed on my bicycle 4 months ago when I hit a bump I didn't see. Just cruising along and the next thing you know it's oh shit I'm going down. Then the next thing I remember is looking up at the paramedic.

6 fractured rips, fractured clavicle, scapula and finger...$75,000 worth of damage according to the hospital.

#13 ·
Sounds like I made out great! Lol perspective is key.

Original post updated with pictures.
Honestly I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Due to this post I decided to put the knee pads back in my rev'it jeans today. I had to stop and find a bathroom after about 20 miles to take them out. The jeans are a little uncomfortable with the fabric that bunches up in my knee pit. And with the knee pads it's no bueno. Would be fine if it wasn't a sportbike probably. I really need to find a solution. So far I've got covert scorpion jeans which are looser but can't stand how they feel with the knee pad. Then I bought Dianese knee and shin protectors to wear underneath instead. But the straps also bunch up behind my knee and are uncomfortable.

So then the Rev'its which felt great until I tried to ride in them. Now thinking of just getting a race suit or at least leather pants.

#14 ·
LA probably gets toasty too, though. I was saving up for knee pads as well as other pads to just strap on over jeans and under the jacket, to keep them in place better. You may look into that. Icon may be garnering a 'squid' reputation, but their products are meant to appeal to those who try to find any excuse not to wear them, so they must be comfortable. I love their fitment on nearly everything except my head.

#15 ·
Yikes, seems like high sides are definitely the worst! I had the rear tire slide on a few occasions in the past but luckily always recovered. Concrete wet gutters are like freakin' ice! That's where I lost the rear the first time going 20mph in my neighborhood; thankfully no crash.

Heal up quickly!

#16 ·
Got China fairings on order. Hope they match the tank closely... Bikebandit supplied the OEM bits for relatively cheap. Also pulled the trigger on some Carbon4u tank covers, as now both sides have dents.

Just "need" a new turn signal and mirror.
Signal isn't busted, though, and one mirror is legal... but if I were to keep it, I'd fix them. And if I were to be looking for a bike, that would throw up a red flag.

Not that I plan to lie. I'd rather give a thorough history, and show my care of the bike, by repairing all the little bits. BUT IT'S GONNA BE SO PRETTY!!! dammit. I don't want to sell it.

Still need to buy oil. The usual is a 6 pack on amazon. But that would be two useless quarts. Hm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.