Triumph 675 Forums banner

clutch grinding

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fastway racing 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I have a 2014 Daytona 675r with less than 600 miles on it and within the last 100 miles the clutch started making a loud grinding noise while in neutral with the clutch released, it goes away when you pull the clutch in.

I took the bike to the dealer and they told me it wasn't normal and they'd never heard that before, in fact they told me to stop riding the bike a few days before my scheduled appointment. The dealer kept the bike for 2 days and told me they emailed triumph and triumph told them that it is normal. The dealer told me they never checked the transmission themselves and they were just going to go by what the email said.

Is this anything to worry about? I want to put the bike up for sale and don't want this noise to scare any potential buyers away.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Depends on the severity of the grinding honestly. Basically every bike with a MT is going to have clutch basket rattle to some extent when released. But, if it is in fact excessive I would have them tear down the clutch and take a look. No reason to sell because of that....its mechanical, it happens sometimes. Try making a recording while you actuate and release the clutch at idle.

#3 ·
yeah, this kind of worried me with a street triple.

Letting out the clutch, I wasn't use to the rattle sound... but my local dealer checked it out and said it was normal. (it's not excessive, just new to me) There was also a gear whine/grind after downshifting to first and coming to a stop -- apparently normal too. They said excessive rattling or grinding while in neutral with the clutch out should be thoroughly checked.

#4 ·
yeah, this kind of worried me with a street triple.

Letting out the clutch, I wasn't use to the rattle sound... but my local dealer checked it out and said it was normal. (it's not excessive, just new to me) There was also a gear whine/grind after downshifting to first and coming to a stop -- apparently normal too. They said excessive rattling or grinding while in neutral with the clutch out should be thoroughly checked.
Ya the 1st gear whine is just gear meshing your hearing. The tranny in an SS are built stronger than say, a civic for example. One of the ways its built stronger is by using straight cut gears rather than helical cut. One down side to straight cut is the gear mesh sound....similar to a sequential trans a race car.

#8 ·
I changed the oil at 119 miles with mobil1 racing 4t and again at 439 miles with the triumph recommended Castrol RS. I still have a year and a few months of manufacturer warranty, so if you guys think the sound is abnormal I'll have the dealer check it.

p.s. I tried doing a multi-quote but my phone and the website weren't having it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.