Triumph 675 Forums banner

Rattle on Start up

10K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  SKmotomn 
#1 ·
I get a really odd rattle on start up in my 14' daytona. It only does it after its been sitting for about a day and I start it. It lasts for about a total 4 seconds before it quits, it sounds like a damn bolt is loose or something. I would describe at as a quick succession rattle. Anyone else experience this? If so should i be worried? My $5000 dollar ninja 300 never made this noise.

#7 ·
When I had my '09 ST3R, after some recall work was done (can't remember what it was) my bike would do this every time I had a completely cold start. Would last about ten/fifteen seconds and go away. According to the dealer, this was a result of the recall work done and was 100% normal for whatever it was they did. Don't know if this helps, but maybe.

#9 ·
I had this same issue on my '13 from as long as I could remember, in addition to that another issue that began around 12,500 miles in which my bike was cutting out for a split second while accelerating.

I just got the bike back from the dealership after 3 weeks and will need some time to test it, as both the sound and the throttle cutting out were intermittent. Although, my dealership believes the issues were connected.

I had a 4.4k bill in parts alone, check it out.

Attachments

#10 ·
I noticed it early on with my '14 D675R also and thought it to be the CCT, but I've left it alone. Never really paid too much attention, but my '15 ST3RX will do it from time to time also. I mentioned it in the the 13-14 D675 [R] Issue thread some time back, but don't think anybody claimed they had the same issue.

That's some crap quality right there. Everybody with that rattle issue should complain to the dealer so the issue will be known and maybe Triumph will come up with a revised CCT. Only bad thing is, it usually won't do it when it's warm so you can't ride it to the dealership to replicate the rattle.

#16 ·
The '09 R1 had this issue with the CCT. First replacement CCT they made ended up doing the same thing after some time, but the third one seemed to be fine. Even after warranty, Yamaha had a bulletin and replaced the CCT at no charge. Bought my '09 R1 and the previous owner never had the CCT replaced. Called Yamaha, they ran my VIN, and they replaced the CCT with no hassle. No issues after that while I owned the bike.

I don't know what ill effects there is with a bad CCT, but Triumph needs to rectify this problem. 3rd year in on a new model bike and still not fixed. Sure enough not many have brought this up to the dealership. '04 to current R1 has had a hydraulic CCT and only the '09 (and some '10 IIRC) had an issue which was fixed by Yamaha or some ended up getting a manual CCT.

I really hope there isn't any issues in the long run. Either way I'll probably go with a manual CCT sometime down the road.

#18 ·
I'm going to start tracking when my bike does this and doesn't. I let the bike sit for a couple of days and started today and got no rattle on startup. Im still convinced that if this is happening every time on start up something is not right. Got a friend that has a '14 R daytona and he said he had never heard this noise on his bike, he even started up for me after not riding for a few days and it made no noise of this sort.

#24 ·
I don't think it's a normal. AFAIK these Triumphs are the only ones that do this on start up. Haven't seen it on any other make. As I mentioned before, the '09 R1 had the issue and Yamaha remedied it.

In the case of a CCT going bad down the road after X amount of miles is another story. A new bike that rattles on start up is something that should raise question.

#34 ·
People,
It's perfectly normal as long as it goes away after a few seconds. If you ride every day, it might not rattle at all at start up. Do not put thicker oil in it, stick with the recommended viscosity for your temperature conditions. Mine rattled exactly the same from the day I bought it (with 0 miles) until the day I sold it (over 55,000 miles). Ride more - worry less!

If you decide you can't handle the rattle at start-up - then replace it with a manual tensioner. Then you get to jack with that every so often. If you got a race bike and rail the piss out of it @ high rpm's, then a manual tensioner would probably be advisable. 99.9% of riders are not in this category.

Ride more - worry less!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.