Triumph 675 Forums banner

Potential Valve Issues. I'm an idiot.

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rsparky 
#1 ·
2010 Daytona, 19,000 miles.

Got home from work, decided to lube my chain. Went swimmingly. Even had the motor on and wheel spinning on the stand.

Turned it off to wipe up excess from the chain. Turned it on, and sh@t myself. The bike got SOOO much louder. The youtube video doesn't really show the extent. But I know it's something wrong. Doubtful that it would be cam chain, as it is phoenix, and the oil wouldn't have drained that quickly, plus I turned it on again to get the video.

Plugged it on, got code P0113: "Inlet air temperature sensor open circuit or short circuit to battery" I got the code last week, lifted the tank, unplugged and replugged the sensor, it went away.

The ugly. I have never checked my valves. My horrible, dirty little secret. Money this, trepidation that, excuses, I have been asking for it... Kicking myself.

I still, especially now, don't trust myself with the top end. Maybe to check, but with that noise, nope. Any ideas? I'll be talking to the dealer tomorrow.

Here is the youtube vid:

See less See more
#2 ·
That doesn't sound like it would be related to your valves. My friend's ZX-6Rs valve clearances got so tight they broke the intake valve spring retainers and he lost a cylinder. The bike sounded fine right before hand, then sounded like a 675 XD.

It is interesting though, you can hear it spin as the engine is cranking before it starts, and is perfectly harmonic with engine speed, as far as I can tell. Did you try giving it a baby rev?

#3 ·
No, it was a very painful sound and didn't want to risk it...

I can't imagine valves just "going". But given enough time it could become out of spec. To highlight my ignorance of the valvetrain, the way I think it would go though, is over time not seating as well, which shouldn't cause noise like interference...?

#6 ·
Given that it is only while cranking and at idle, and the code references the air inlet, my guess would be that one of your throttle bodies has something wedged in it, where it lets in air to idle. It could also be the cam chain tensioner, that has been known to fail on these bikes all too often. I think most people experience noise with the tensioner between 6K and 8K though, and I don't believe that usually happens as immediately as this did. If I were you, I would pull the tank, the airbox, and then clean the throttle bodies and inspect them.

#8 ·
I believe I tried to make it clear that my hands were not near the chain while the engine was on.

Given that it is only while cranking and at idle, and the code references the air inlet, my guess would be that one of your throttle bodies has something wedged in it, where it lets in air to idle. It could also be the cam chain tensioner, that has been known to fail on these bikes all too often. I think most people experience noise with the tensioner between 6K and 8K though, and I don't believe that usually happens as immediately as this did. If I were you, I would pull the tank, the airbox, and then clean the throttle bodies and inspect them.
I do want to get into the air box again. Basically rode through a dust storm last night and want to check out my filter.

As for the code, looked at the manual, I believe it was the "low temp code". My coworker and I pulled the sensor and put it in an environmental chamber to run thorough the range of temps that we found on another thread. Got resistances at 20° intervals. Still haven't plotted it, but it looks like a logarithmic curve. At 80°c the resistance drops to near zero, which is probably the issue. But after seeing that it doesn't really affect much, I'm just glad to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.